The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-10-2003, 12:34 PM   #61
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

Yeah - more technology means that we are growing more distant from our violent acts daily. Gone are the days of bashing in a dude's skull with a rock, now we just push a button and turn the other way. I'll admit that that's a generalized abstraction, but I am tired and I don't really want to argue the point.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:37 PM   #62
juju
no one of consequence

What it was is that they discovered the "towns" and "living areas" that the workers lived in, right next to the pyramids. They even found places where they would mass-produce (cook) bread for the workers to eat. They even believe that there was a sort of competition between the workers. It would have been like a sport, who could do the most work.

I actually saw this on TV, on an Egypt special, a short while back. But I'm sure it's on the web somewhere.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #63
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
What it was is that they discovered the "towns" and "living areas" that the workers lived in, right next to the pyramids. They even found places where they would mass-produce (cook) bread for the workers to eat. They even believe that there was a sort of competition between the workers. It would have been like a sport, who could do the most work.

I actually saw this on TV, on an Egypt special, a short while back. But I'm sure it's on the web somewhere.
I don't understand...might be cuz I'm at work in red queue, but how does finding living areas and cooking areas equate to the workers not being slaves?
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:15 PM   #64
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Yes I'm sure people who pulled large slabs of rocks up hill all day did so out of their own free will...

If so, we may have become more violent but also much much smarter about what we choose to do.

Also, any thoughts on the proposed Mars mission? Quicky summary of my thoughts goes a lot like this:

Projected Mars mission = $60 billion.
War on Iraq = $86+ billion.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #65
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quzah wrote:
Quote:
The only reason the US is interested in it is because China has stated that they're going to put up a moon base. Period.
Good enough reason for me.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:19 PM   #66
juju
no one of consequence

I guess they found evidence in the towns for it. I'm just recanting everything I can remember (which isn't much). But I do remember that the slave thing is now a common myth.

I'll see if I can't find some actual sources.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:24 PM   #67
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sheeeit. That will put a whole new spin on Passover, now, won't it?

Although, Christmas survived historical research showing that the census for which Joseph and Mary would have travelled to Nazareth took place in the spring months. Tradition often trumps truth.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #68
juju
no one of consequence

Ah. It turns out that a simple google search turns up all kinds of stuff staying they didn't use slaves.

Here's one link from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient...lders_02.shtml
Old 12-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #69
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by insoluble
Bruce -

Not a lot to worry about? How about the fact that everyone's comfort comes at the cost of the environment? It's the complacent attitude evident in your post that I was talking about. So yeah - keep on consuming and looking the other way.
See what I mean, we live relatively safe and secure lives. We have to LOOK for things to worry about like the environment. Sure it's a real and growing problem, but it doesn't break into your house in the middle of the night. If you ignore it, it's not going to come and get you, right here, right now.
So I have a choice of going out and help the environment, requiring I do some research on how and where or I can watch the WWF on the tube while scarfing beer and nachos. Actually I hate the WWF and their ilk and I'm not keen on beer and nachos but the point is people in this country are comfortable and complacent to the point of boredom.
This is a subjective judgement on my part but no more so than "hollow and miserable" on your part. What is "hollow"? Soulless? Hungry? Chocolate easter bunnies? And "miserable"? Love boat prempted? Liquor store closed? Jock itch?
OK, I'm being a smartass but I'm not that far off the truth of what the average American sees as his major concerns which is why he's looking for entertainment.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:29 PM   #70
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

No no no..

It's not the envirment we should be worried about but the ever growing national debt! We'll never pay it off!

Agh! The sky is falling!

Well actually it is.

I'm confused by your post. (It seems that I'm often confused by posts.)

What are you trying to say? That we live comfortable lives?

That we shouldn't go out 'looking' for problems?

That our lives are not 'hollow and miserable'?

That it's all relative?

All of the above?

I don't think we lead very secure lives.

Does anyone here have a job that is secure and enough money saved up to NOT worry about losing that job?
Thats not safe and secure.
I know I have a tough time sleeping when I end up thinking about what will happen if when March comes around I can't make my schedule so that I can work and go to college. Worse yet...what if I they won't let me work part time?

Oh sure it's a safer life than that in Russia.

But I don't think people watching TV at night while eating nachos is a sign of confort. I think it's escapism.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #71
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
See what I mean, we live relatively safe and secure lives. We have to LOOK for things to worry about like the environment. Sure it's a real and growing problem, but it doesn't break into your house in the middle of the night. If you ignore it, it's not going to come and get you, right here, right now.
Well, yeah, it is. But ignorance keeps us from understanding that it's coming to get us right now - and we blame our ills on luck. Cancer? Aw.... sucks for you buddy, tough luck.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #72
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The top killer is still heart disease, which is aggravated by worry.

The second killer is cancer.

Third is stroke, which is aggravated by worry.

Fourth is lung disease, which is aggravated by smoking and working in coal mines.

The environment is cleaner today than it was 20 years ago and cancer rates have not varied that much.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:11 PM   #73
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

Third is stroke, which is aggravated by worry.
Mercola would argue.

Quote:
The environment is cleaner today than it was 20 years ago and cancer rates have not varied that much. [/b]
Environment is more than air quality. And "cancer" was a catch all.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #74
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's just a guy with a website. Don't get taken every time.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:15 PM   #75
jinx
Come on, cat.

Well he didn't write the IOM report or the journal article, lol, he's just talking about them.