The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #61
equazcion
Thinks "pie" is a funny word.

Christianity is a little strange in that respect now. The religion does believe that theirs is the only correct religion and everyone else is going to hell -- but that notion is so archaic that a good percentage of individual Christians probably don't even believe it, as we've demonstrated here; not to mention that it's so politically incorrect that no one states it publicly. I mean, this isn't a belief that you can get away with in today's world, what with tolerance and such. Imagine what would happen if a Republican senator went on TV being asked simple, factual questions about Christianity: "What's your religion?" "Christianity." "Do you believe in Christianity and all its teachings completely?" "Yes, of course." "Does Christianity teach that all Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, and homosexuals are going to hell?" "Er, well, I suppose, but-" "-so being such a complete believer in Christianity and all its teachings, you must believe all those people are going to hell too, right?" "I must refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me."

That particular aspect should probably just be changed... but how can you just change something sacred that way? That would probably take all the sacredness out of your religion.
equazcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by equazcion
Christianity is a little strange in that respect now. The religion does believe that theirs is the only correct religion and everyone else is going to hell....... snip
I was not taught that, although the Roman Catholic kids I grew up with, were. I was taught that ending up in heaven or hell depended on own behavior, how well I lived my life, how I treated others.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #63
equazcion

Again, I speak of Christianity as a system, not of its practical implementation by individuals. People can ignore the rules, but that doesn't mean the rules aren't there.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What, my church wasn't part of the system? I think in your desire to boil it down to a few general statements, you've lost the tremendous diversity that exists under the broad banner of "Christian".
I cited one error.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #65
equazcion

I never said this described all of what Christianity is. I've been working on general statements because that's all anyone seems to be responding to, but a while ago I mentioned priests specifically. So somebody respond to what I said about them and then maybe we can get somewhere.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #66
equazcion

Here it is again:

Isn't it true that even non-evangelical priests are interested in converting people, that they feel they're doing something God wants, and when they do it they feel the person has been saved? I admittedly get this mostly from cultural references, TV and movies (quite a few individuals too), but that message does seem to be overwhelming. I don't think I've ever seen a priest portrayed as not holding those kinds of beliefs, and I'm not talking about contexts that aim to put Christianity down. I'm talking about everything, even realistic media, that's just all I've ever seen.

I hope someone has some information that might shed some light on whether or not this is true. Maybe there's a priest out there?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #67
rkzenrage

"Spreading God's word" is not the same as forced conversion.
It is simply their wanting to spread the happiness they have felt in their own lives from what they have experienced. It is not a judgmental thing like the Evangelicals or other more aggressive sects.
It is often part of charity work, and not "only if you are Christian" works like the Evangelicals.
So, no, not in the way you are making it seem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by equazcion
Christianity is a little strange in that respect now. The religion does believe that theirs is the only correct religion and everyone else is going to hell --.
Please, show me, specifically, where you read that. I have been studying the religion for over twenty years, and have not found that... funny.
Sure, some individuals and groups claim it, but it is Biblically incorrect. Just like many other things that are said. Some say that one of the Mary's was a whore, homosexuality is a sin and there will be a rapture. None have a Biblical basis.
Oh, & John, chapter 12:46 & 8:12 have many interpretations... they are not clear and do not absolutely support that point, they can just mean his path and are often interpreted that way. The Catholic church just stated it that way, BTW.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 12-13-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #68
equazcion

Whoa! Don't you dare do that. Forced conversion? You've got to be kidding me. I don't know who you're answering, but it sure isn't me.

Try again, if you'd like. Here it is, yet again; For youre convenience, I've narrowed it down to just three specific questions, for which you can provide three specific yes-or-no answers:

Isn't it true that even non-evangelical priests are interested in converting people, that they feel they're doing something God wants, and when they do it they feel the person has been saved?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #69
rkzenrage

Are they interested... you sure have come a long way from your initial point.

All religions and paths like to see their numbers grow, no?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #70
equazcion

What "some" believe isn't the issue. Priestly doctrine is a good representation of what the religion itself entails, which is the whole reason I brought them up.

...and it doesn't need to "say it" anywhere, which was the whole point of bringing up priests to begin with. Not mention that homosexuality bing a sin is definitely in the bible. Check the index under "the destruction of Sodom", city of homosexuals.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #71
equazcion

And you sure are going to great lengths to avoid actually answering my questions.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #72
rkzenrage

"Does Christianity teach that all Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, and homosexuals are going to hell?" "Er, well, I suppose, but-"
The answer to this question is "No".
Nope, the word homosexual never comes up, nor the reason God destroying the city of Sodom.
Where the hell are you getting your info?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #73
equazcion

What happened to the specific questions I just quoted to you for the 3rd time?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #74
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Are they interested... you sure have come a long way from your initial point.

All religions and paths like to see their numbers grow, no?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #75
equazcion

Jews don't, at least not by conversion. Now how bout the other two questions? This will be the last time I ask. If you don't answer I'll just take that as you being terrified of what the answers would connote regarding our argument.

...that they feel they're doing something God wants, and when they do it they feel the person has been saved?