The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #61
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
why is it that there is only one thing that i've ever truly valued enough to dedicate all of my energy to succeed at... and that is the one thing that i apparently have failed at?
How she feels is not a function of you. And in terms of what the future holds, how she feels going forward is also not a function of you. I'm not trying to sound clinical but I do think its critical that you grasp the reality that what she does may have nothing to do with what you do. This is the very definition of a failed relationship.

I'm not giving advice but from where I stand, I have a concern that you are letting your guard down and are positioning yourself to be taken advantage of. I'd at least think about going on the offensive - I'm not suggesting that you do only that you consider it.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #62
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A marvelous hint someone gave to me at about this point: if some aspect seems too overwhemling to consider, just *don't* consider it. The financial? The offspring? The future lifestyle? The fine details can wait until there's less to think about.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #63
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Not to be too trite, but to paraphrase the Graduate.

Three words. Just three words. Divorced soccer moms.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 12-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
A marvelous hint someone gave to me at about this point: if some aspect seems too overwhemling to consider, just *don't* consider it. The financial? The offspring? The future lifestyle? The fine details can wait until there's less to think about.
Excellent point! Considering all the variables, planning details before they come up is just a waste of time and energy. Decide and stick to, principles and values that are important to you and the details will work themselves out.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #65
lookout123
changed his status to single

it is very difficult to operate normally with the 1000 lb elephant in the room. last night was great fun, hanging out, BSing, etc. we woke up and all was wellonlu fun family functions in the morning before church. church was great. we finally get back home and the little one is down for a nap.

she was reading mail and i came up from behind and hugged her tightly. one thing led to another and we ended up having th best sex we've had in quite a while.

she's been more friendly but distant since then. it is a roll of the dice to see what comes tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:36 AM   #66
marichiko

It sounds very crazy making and difficult, Lookout. Sorry she is putting you through this.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #67
lookout123
changed his status to single

how can one be bored in a "humdrum" routine when in the last 12 months, we've been to Rocky Point, Mexico 3 times, Flagstaff 3 times, San Diego, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Illinois, Spain, Italy, and France. we've spent 12 days on cruise ships in the last six months. WTF?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #68
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Lookout, it's not YOU, it's HER. It's not your lifestyle, it's HER. You two have been all over and done amazing, fun, happy things. If she finds that "humdrum"--oh, my. Clearly, she is not appreciating the fine things life has given to her-yourself included.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Old 12-19-2005, 10:57 PM   #69
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

"Routine" can be more than just day to day living you know. There can be routine in your kiss, routine in sex, routine in the way you always order cab sav instead of trying local wines, routine in attitudes, routine in television watching habits, routine in one partner always being the one to make coffee in the morning.

not that i'm saying that this may be applicable to you, but it is for me... my partner and i travel a lot too but i too get frusterated in our routine.. even though no 2 weeks are the same, i still get frusterated at his attitudes and his need to eat gormet pizzas no matter where we go, and his inability to refrain from pulling a stupid face in every photo.

But then again.. these things dont make me want to leave him.. just slap him around a bit.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
But then again.. these things dont make me want to leave him.. just slap him around a bit.
You've told us, have you told him?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #71
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
how can one be bored in a "humdrum" routine when in the last 12 months, we've been to Rocky Point, Mexico 3 times, Flagstaff 3 times, San Diego, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Illinois, Spain, Italy, and France. we've spent 12 days on cruise ships in the last six months. WTF?
Stop taking her to Flagstaff, Lookout! There's the problem! Even I go to Flagstaff! Oh, and Illinois? PU-LEEZ! Also, New Orleans doesn't count unless you took her there for Katrina.

Lookout, she's grabbing excuses out of the thin air! I still think someone else may be in the picture. Hate to say it, but that's what it smells like to this girl.

Bored? Try spoiled!

Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #72
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Well, I just want to add my support, lookout. These people have said some very relevant things here. The main thing is that she doesn't know how good she has it, and no one can tell her verbally.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:24 AM   #73
Doctor Beren
Kinda New Member

Lookout, you don't know me, but this thread is just heartbreaking, and for what it's worth, my $0.02:

Depressed people hate themselves, and your wife certainly sounds like she's depressed. If you hate yourself, you develop a certain contempt for people who adore you. I suspect this is at least part of what's happening.

Continue with the counselling. But, at the same time, get a lawyer immediately and protect your assets. Refuse to move out. After all, she's the one who wants to be alone. She should be the one living in a cramped apartment, not you. Finally, I'd say you should connect how you treat her to her behavior. Don't be sweet and kind to her when she's feeding you all kinds of bullshit about never loving you or your not making enough money. Get mad; or freeze her out. Be selfish. It might suddenly hit her that, no, she can't count on your unconditional love for all eternity, and that you won't carry a torch for her forever after she's gone.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 AM   #74
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

You go Doc! I feel like I'm in similar boat as you Lookout, only much less. Everyone tells me I should freeze her out, be calm cool and collected. Act aloof. Let her know that she really may not have you if she acts like an asshole. She may have someone else and be too weak and small a person to leave so she's trying to get you to do it. Fuck that! Let her deal with the situation she created. She wants out - let her leave. She wants a divorce - let her go and get it. I am desperately trying to learn the same principles. Cover your ass and your kids, cuz no matter what happens you'll always be Dad and as he grows he'll learn the truth about how this all went down, who cared for him and know who his true "parent" is!

Last edited by yesman065; 12-21-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wecome to the Cellar, Doc Beren.
Stick around, you'll find all kinds of interesting people here.