The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #61
Griff
still says videotape

You can buy a wicked cheap kids cotton candy maker that will scratch that itch till you're sick of it.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #62
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think I have to wait until at least one of the other gadgets malfunctions first.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #63
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I want one of those things Marge got for Mother's Day (I think it was Mother's day)--a Kitchen Carnival. One section made cotton candy, one section held hot caramel sauce and a third section deep fried anything. Homer made a giant cotton candy ball, deep fried it and coated it in hot caramel that he took everywhere--even to bed. fried caramel coated-cotton candy.....droooool...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 11-13-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #64
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
We lead a sheltered life in rural England - the shopping channels here are somewhat quiet about this product. Now you have infomed me, I can see it quickly finding its place amongst those other great inventions that now occupy deep corners of kitchen cupboards - like the Brevill Sandwich Toaster and George Foreman's Electric Grill - not to mention those machines that made sparking drinks (damn, I said I wouldn't mention them...!)
Actually, we get decent use out of the George Forman. It's the stove top hand-cranked popcorn kettle that's deep in the shelves although soon to be resurrected since I just bought some good popping corn.

The IMO most usless item I find in numerous garage/yard sales is the electric potpourri pot. I can understand peoples fear of tea candles left burning, but leaving a perpetual hot pot of water on any surface other than on a stove seems an invitation to disaster to me.

I actually find fondue sets interesting, although my opinion is that before you buy any small electric cooking item, you have to be able to picture yourself using it for a few months. This is why I never bought an electric hot dog machine like you see in the convenience stores.

BTW, getting back on topic, we were in the Booths Corner Farmers market yesterday and found that the discount grocery is now a discount dry goods store. In addition to candles and other home items, they sell candy. It was with great resistence that I did not spend $7.99 for the Ferrero Rocher 25 piece pyramind, especially after Sun_Sparkz reminded me how good it is. They also had the Nutella spread, which I have never tried.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:18 AM   #65
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
On the Walnut Whips front, I seem to remember that there was another half-walnut in the base, under the fluffy stuff... Sundae Girl??
Walnut Whip update - Woolworths are currently selling 6 x Nestle Walnut Whips for £2.79. M&S are selling their own on special offer - can't remember the exact price but they work out cheaper. I have 3 to eat & photograph - will post later (my colleagues might suss I am not strictly working if they see the camera flash!)

I had no idea that Duncans used to produce the Whips - I bow to your superior knowledge. Talking of disappearing chocolate bars, the Texan is back on the market. Was tempted to buy one for the sheer retro pleasure of it, but remembered in time that I didn't like them the first time round...

Thanks for the Snickers pic BigV. I've had deep fried Bounty with pineapple sauce before - too sweet for my savoury tooth but it did work surprisingly well. I like the idea of ticking these experiements off though - I already have chocolate covered ants on my dance card
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #66
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

That mention of ants reminded me.

Two weeks ago when I was in Waitrose getting a lunchtime sarnie (just before Halloween), the young girl behind me was getting very excited, she was helping daddy do some shopping. She wasn't so excited about the shopping per se, but about one particular item.

'When can I have the maggots, daddy...?'

She fingered the tin in front of her. Sure enough it said 'maggots' all right! Even had one of those ring pull lids like you get on Baked Beans.

A kid wanting to eat maggots?? I didn't want to appear too conspicuous, but just had to steal a glance. Relief! The maggots were made of white chocolate!

But then I thought, well, wait a minute, we used to put the maggots in our mouths when fresh water fishing in winter, to keep them warm and lively before they were transferred to the hook as bait....
Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #67
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Walnut Whip

A Photo Story
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #68
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Burp......
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #69
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Aaahh, but did you enjoy it???

These ones aren't so 'whirly' as the old ones, but looks like they do the job!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:12 AM   #70
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Honestly?

No - I ate two (sheer greed - I hold my hands up) and I felt quite sick. The problem is there is rather a lot of chocolate, especially on the base. Wonderful as M&S are, their choc does taste like the cheap stuff you get from the market if you eat too much of it
Old 11-15-2005, 06:39 AM   #71
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Those whips look yummy! Thanks, Sundae Girl, for the pics and description. I thought M&S was a high-end store. Why would they cheap-out on the chocolate? Have any of the Brits here in the Cellar had American chocolate? What do you think of it? I've heard chocolate in the UK is sweeter.

PS--the walnut seems a bit superfluous.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:00 AM   #72
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
PS--the walnut seems a bit superfluous.
Yeah, but then it would be just a Whip...

Oh, I get it, walnut a bit superfuous indeed - you just wanted a whip all the time!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #73
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Mentioned a favourite chocolate bar called 'Five'Boys at the beginning of this thread.

Found the wrapper (below) on the net. It used to have three layers of different types of chocolate - light milk, normal milk and dark chocolate - as far as I remember.Quite tasty , but God knows how it sold with a design like that on it!

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 03-24-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #74
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
BTW, getting back on topic, we were in the Booths Corner Farmers market yesterday and found that the discount grocery is now a discount dry goods store. In addition to candles and other home items, they sell candy. It was with great resistence that I did not spend $7.99 for the Ferrero Rocher 25 piece pyramind, especially after Sun_Sparkz reminded me how good it is. They also had the Nutella spread, which I have never tried.
Went to the Farmer's market today to pick up a second toy for the Toys for Tot drive. The Ferrero Rocher 25 piece pyraminds were discounted to $5. I picked up one for New Years.

Sun_Sparkz, if you ever make it to the US, I'll treat you to a box.

Unfortunately, according to mythbusters, I will not be able to use the empty pyramid to keep my razor blades sharp. I guess this also rules out putting my MP3 player in it to protect the hard drive.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 12-23-2005 at 09:12 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:59 PM   #75
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

They also had the Nutella spread, which I have never tried.

Get a jar , (coco and hazelnut spread ), some good grainy bread , toast the bread and spread on the Nutella THICK , eat it , and pick your self up off the floor and make another !!!

As to chocolate , the darker the better !!!!

Now for something slightly different BUT related ,
Get a box of Girl Sprout Thinmints ,
freeze them HARD ,
put a few in a blender and beat them up untill they are about the size of an english pea , add a few scoops of some GOOOOD Vanilla ice cream ( the kind with black specks of vanilla bean in it ) , a little milk , and a shot of brandy , mix .
Sit back and enjoy !!!!!!!