The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-25-2003, 12:45 AM   #61
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami
Is it ever appropriate to unholster the gun and not pull the trigger?
Absolutely. The majority of defensive uses of firearms do NOT involve shots being fired. According to a 1994 National Institute of Justice Survey of Private Ownership and use of firearms there were 1.5 MILLION defensive uses/year Another study by Gary Kleck puts that number at 2.5 million. The NJI study suggested that 130,000 criminals are shot or wounded in the course of defensive uses.

A handgun (or rifle or shotgun or whatever) is not a samurai sword. You're not dishonoring it by sheathing it unblooded.

Using it as a blunt instrument, though, is totally not recommended. Even if you have the safety engaged, it's not an effective hammer.

If you're not willing to face the possibility of killing someone in defense of your own life, you shouldn't be carrying a gun.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:00 AM   #62
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

There is something to be said for not resheathing the sword that has not tasted blood. Yes a weapon is good for your sense of security when in your pocket, no you should not draw if you don't intend to use it. And it's pussy to use (or brandish) a weapon on an unarmed enemy.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:22 AM   #63
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There is a difference between "unarmed" and "not a threat."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:15 PM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by slang

Well, I guess I dont know you Bruce. I'm sure we've all been a pain in the ass to the public at large at one time or another, but I wouldnt expect someone like you (meaning someone with communication skills and manners) to be blatantly disrespectful to a group of strangers.

At the very least, I'd expect you would be somewhat receptive to a polite "say what your thinking".
That was the old me I was cautioning about. The new me would offer to buy them dinner and discuss it. Or if it happened to be a lady, I'd offer to buy breakfast.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:58 PM   #65
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

on oldy but a goodie.

new folks got any?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:40 PM   #66
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm a total chickenshit. I'll never say stuff because I'm convinced a physical fight will ensue. Or the person will turn out to be like that lady in Houston who got gently rear-ended and proceeded to get her gun, walk calmly to the offending car, shoot the other woman in the face in front of her children, and drive away.

"Non-confrontational" doesn't even begin to describe...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #67
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Ok, so I'm just walking out of my apartment to the university. I have to walk about 300m down this big road, two lanes going in each direction. This road has a grass divider in the middle about 10ft wide.

I'm walking, and this is like 8PM and it's dusk. I've had 2 beers, and I'm off to the library to study. (I'm actually serious. It's sad.) Of course, 2 beers, six foot one and 190 lbs, I'm about as far from drunk as I am from Mongolian.

I'm walking, and I'm wearing khakis and a light tee shirt. About as normal clothing as you can imagine. Some meathead in a truck on the OTHER side of the road (past the grass divider) rolls down his window and yells "SLIT YOUR WRISTS AND SHOW YOUR GOD WHO'S BOSS"

Now, this is by far the strangest heckle I have ever heard. I mean, who the fuck yells that? So I flip him the double-bird and say "fuck off" just loud enough for him to hear it. The dude pushes his girth out of the window, his whole torso, and screams "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCK!"

My first thought was, that's a pallindrome.

So I keep walking, and I see him pull this insane u-turn at the intersection behind me. I'm thinking, he wants to fight. I'm totally up for fighting to defend the honour of my love, or something, but this is stupid. And, I've had two beers. If I get busted for a public altercation, I'll have alcohol added to the charge. So I do what any normal human being would do, while thinking calmly, under stress.

I tear-ass across campus and hide in the basement of the Psychology building.

Seemed fitting.

And that is my brush with the concept of having balls.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #68
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
then later that same day, as we're leaving the mall, some guy is looking at her as we walk past each other in the parking lot. "What, am I wearing something of yours?!"
There must be something left out here. You've posted pictures of Jinx. She's a looker. I can't blame the guy for looking. Was he drooling or what?
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:58 PM   #69
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
There must be something left out here. You've posted pictures of Jinx. She's a looker. I can't blame the guy for looking. Was he drooling or what?
I... don't remember. The guy must have been looking at me like I was wearing something of his or something. I used to get that look from my sister. But hey, thanks!

Incidentally, I think LJ has now mentioned every occasion where I've snapped out on someone in public, over the many years.... it's not an everyday occurrence or anything.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:13 PM   #70
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Incidentally, I think LJ has now mentioned every occasion where I've snapped out on someone in public, over the many years.... it's not an everyday occurrence or anything.
I think it's his way of complimenting you in public. Care to share stories of Jim being the hero?
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #71
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I'm a total chickenshit. I'll never say stuff because I'm convinced a physical fight will ensue. Or the person will turn out to be like that lady in Houston who got gently rear-ended and proceeded to get her gun, walk calmly to the offending car, shoot the other woman in the face in front of her children, and drive away.

"Non-confrontational" doesn't even begin to describe...
And yet you create (presumably) horrific sound effects in video games?

Actually, now that I think about it, you might just be perfect for that as you could probably imagine much more horrific noises than a more aggressive individual could. I often think that people wouldn't behave like such fucks if they had a clue about what blood, guts, gore and pain were really all about.

Nevermind. I'm typing like I've been drinking all day, yet I haven't had a drop...
Old 07-13-2004, 07:52 AM   #72
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
When stupid people happen to m, I consider if it be worth it to say or do anything about it. 80% of the time, it's not and I let it go. Better to keep a calm head I think. 10% of the time, a soft, subtle but effective throat growl or piercing stare is enough to convey my ire and make me feel better. It's very uncommon I actually give someone a tonguelashing, mainly because it could get me into more trouble than the whole situation is worth. (In the car is different...I'm brutal when I'm in the car) Sure, sometimes someone needs an asskicking badly but I'll let someone who's not as worried about getting charged for assault do it. I know there's plenty.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:58 AM   #73
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
I think it's his way of complimenting you in public. Care to share stories of Jim being the hero?
You mean like white horse, guns blazing, that kinda shit? No.... can't think of any heroics. Not really Jim's personality, but then again, I don't remember any situations that warranted it either. He's also more likely to tell someone his life's story than verbally abuse them... he's got that whole 'nice guy' thing going on. That's why his customers just hand over all their money
Old 07-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #74
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

And yet you create (presumably) horrific sound effects in video games?

Actually, now that I think about it, you might just be perfect for that as you could probably imagine much more horrific noises than a more aggressive individual could. I often think that people wouldn't behave like such fucks if they had a clue about what blood, guts, gore and pain were really all about.

That's the funny thing, I have no problem with blood and guts, I was a VERY clumsy child. They knew me by name at the local minor emergency clinic. It's the anger associated with the fight that I can't deal with.

But wait! Last night I actually remembered one time I (sorta kinda) told a guy off. I was maybe 16 or 17, and my period was late. Rather than involve my boyfriend at this point, I went with my best friend to the local Walgreens to buy a pregnancy test.

As we approached the counter, the clerk, who was in his early twenties, saw what I was purchasing and audibly snickered. I said quite loudly, "I'm glad you think it's funny that my stepfather raped me, shithead. You ought to be fired," looking pointedly at his manager. Then I stalked out looking like I was going to cry.

We managed to get the car doors shut before we cracked up laughing. My friend was unable to start the car for several minutes. I never did see that clerk again.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:45 AM   #75
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i had this customer named Earl S. He was an old miserable fuck. 75 yrs old, and tighter than the pope's ass. he argued about every simple detail of the deal, changed his address on the paperwork with my assistant on my day off, disregarded what i told him about getting his tags, blah blah blah. in short, i wanted to hit him. and i didnt care that he was 75 and it would probably kill him if i did.

Needless to say, he declined the service contract i offered him that came with roadside assistance. so yesterday, i get a call....while i'm upstairs eating lunch. normally, i ignore pages for phone calls when im eating, as there is no phone upstairs, and you have to traipse all the way down to service to get the call. however, this time the salesmanger was paging me in an urgent tone, and by the third time, i figured i would go get the call. guess who.

"Uh, yeah, hi, jim. listen, i have a little problem..."
"Oh really, Earl?"
Yeah,.....seems I locked my keys in my car......and I can't find the roadside assistance information in my paperwork..."
" you don't have roadside assistance, Earl. Remember, you said it was cheaper for you to get AAA."
"Oh, .......right......well, what can you do for me?"
"What can I do for you?"
"Yeah, I just got the car last week. ...."
"Well, earl, if you HAD gotten the service contract, you could call raodside assistance, and they'd get them out for you, but since you didn't, I guess you'll have to call a locksmith or something"
long pause
"You still there, Earl?"
"Uh ,yeah, Jim.......well, can you recommend a good locksmith?"
"No, Earl. I can't. good luck. have a nice day."

CUH-LICK!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote