The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-19-2004, 12:14 AM   #61
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
I've never heard such a thing--no legitimate vet would EVER deny you that. If your vet doesn't want you to be with your pet when it is euthanized, they are doing something that they don't want you to see. I would be very suspicious of that, and if I were you, I'd find a new vet.
Many vets are very, very good at dealing with their patients, but don't have as much skill in dealing with their mommies and daddies.

Or he could have had a really, really bad experience with an owner under such circumstances.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:29 AM   #62
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigliadore
Its kinda sad that people can only take home ashes because some people really wanted to bury the dog under its favorite tree. Ashes just aren't quite the same.
They could put the ashes in a nice burial urn and bury the dog under the tree that way. I've got neighbors in my apartment building who once lived in a house with a yard; they had cremation done and buried in an urn so they could take the cat, in this case, with them when they moved. They didn't like the idea of someone else digging in the yard for whatever reason, finding the urn and throwing it away...or throwing the ashes out and keeping the urn.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:55 AM   #63
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
Garnet - yes, I think snapping an animal's neck, as you so poetically put it, is more humane than letting an animal suffer.
Did I say you should let the animal suffer?

Like I said, according to the HSUS (and PETA, too, by the way) the ONLY acceptable way to euthanize an animal is by lethal injection. Snapping an animal's neck, is, according to any animal organization, a CRUEL and unacceptable method of euthanasia. In some places you could actually be charged with cruelty to animals by doing it.

It really frustrates me how many people state that they love their pets so much yet they are too cheap or too lazy to bother taking them to a competent vet for proper treatment. If you can't afford or have no interest in providing proper veterinary care for your pets, you shouldn't have pets in the first place. You'll spend $50 at the Red Lobster for dinner without thinking twice about it, but you think that's waste to spend on an animal's euthanasia. Bizarre.

Quote:
I have a feeling I'm getting into more than I should, discussing animal issues with a PETA employee
Yeah, you probably are getting in over your head, because you obviously don't seem to know very much about veterinary care and human methods of euthanasia.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:26 PM   #64
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

By saying the only proper thing to do is take an animal elsewhere to be euthanized, in my area, you are most certainly saying it should be allowed to suffer. Did you read any of what I said? About working for our humane society, and taking a very long time to get any response? Furthermore, since when did the HSUS and PETA become sole arbiters of decency and kindness? Oh wait! They haven't. Now I remember.

And for your information, I have never spent $50 at Red Lobster, because I have never eaten there. I don't eat at chain restaurants. I will thank you to keep your silly generalizations to yourself. You have no idea what my priorities are. If I could keep an animal alive and healthy through veterinary care, I would. But paying to have a hamster euthanized, when it will die very shortly anyway, is ridiculous.

Anyway, as a PETA employee, shouldn't you be railing against people keeping pets at all, rather than for medical intervention? As for being in over my head, well, you know what they say about opinions.

This thread has been hijacked beyond recognition, and out of respect to the OP, I'm backing out of it. Again, sorry to hear about the hamster.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #65
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Yeah, you probably are getting in over your head, because you obviously don't seem to know very much about veterinary care and human methods of euthanasia.
Wow, garnet. That was positively abrasive and obnoxious.

Tell the truth. You're originally from NYC aren't you?
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:00 PM   #66
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
I know many things about human euthanasia.

I could do a seminar ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:05 PM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Like I said, according to the HSUS (and PETA, too, by the way) the ONLY acceptable way to euthanize an animal is by lethal injection. Snapping an animal's neck, is, according to any animal organization, a CRUEL and unacceptable method of euthanasia. In some places you could actually be charged with cruelty to animals by doing it.
This kind of rant is exactly what turns people off to PETA.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:54 PM   #68
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
This kind of rant is exactly what turns people off to PETA.
Awww Bruce, that hurts my feelings...I'm crying. And I doubt PETA really cares about how people like you feel about them.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:02 PM   #69
garnet

Quote:
I have never spent $50 at Red Lobster, because I have never eaten there. I don't eat at chain restaurants. I will thank you to keep your silly generalizations to yourself.
Calm down, there Jane. A little defensive about that, no? I bettin' you've spent more than a few dollars at the ol' Red Lobster....

Quote:
You have no idea what my priorities are. If I could keep an animal alive and healthy through veterinary care, I would. But paying to have a hamster euthanized, when it will die very shortly anyway, is ridiculous..
Actually, your priorities are pretty clear: you don't care that your pets suffer, especially if that pet is "just" a hamster that only cost $4.

Quote:
Anyway, as a PETA employee, shouldn't you be railing against people keeping pets at all,..
Actually, if you would take the time to educate yourself, PETA doesn't rail against having pets. I have pets, as does almost everyone who works here--animals that have been rescued.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #70
glatt

Quote:
Awww Bruce, that hurts my feelings...I'm crying. And I doubt PETA really cares about how people like you feel about them.
Bruce is a pretty open minded individual, when you write people like him off, you doom your organization to failure.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #71
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Bruce is a pretty open minded individual, when you write people like him off, you doom your organization to failure.
Yeah, Bruce was real open minded when he referred to PETA employees as "fucking assholes."

Don't flatter yourselves that you will single-handedly be responsible for the "doom" of PETA. PETA is growing everyday. I membership rolls are getting bigger, and we are hiring more staff to cover all the needs. Is your ego really that big that you think that a website like the cellar is going to influence anything? How many people post here regularly? About 15. And I'm guessin' there's good reason for that.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:37 PM   #72
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Quote:
PETA doesn't rail against having pets. I have pets, as does nearly everyone who works here.
PETA disagrees.

Last edited by jane_says; 08-19-2004 at 02:40 PM. Reason: fixed quote coding.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #73
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Oh, and I forgot.

Bruce is right. You're a fucking asshole.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
But that doesn't stop them from asking for my money, repeatedly.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:57 PM   #75
garnet

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot.

Bruce is right. You're a fucking asshole.
Yeah, that's real mature.