The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #721
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

My mom and I caught this stray at the office. It's part feral though so we had to trick it into the building with chicken, and then trick it into the cage. Yes we used string-tied-to-stick-propping-up-a-box method. Except in our case the "stick" was a gatorade bottle, and the box was our office door. I basically had to chase the kitty into the carrier, which I felt bad for. The thing is in my bathroom, hasn't let me pet it, but I used a big sweatshirt to pet it some why it was in the carrier still. I even have cat-nip out for it, doesn't seem to care for it. A lady who is in an office in our building wants the kitty so I'll take it to her tomorrow. Although its been mean to me, I still am sad it has to go. If I just had a bit more time....
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #722
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

When I was a kid we lived next to a lot of bushland, and there were quite a number of ferral cats. My brother and I started feeding them, and then we came up with the bright idea to try and trap them. We used a similar technique you did where we looped a rope around a door handle and wait till they'd come onto the porch to eat the food we'd started leaving out for them.

Each night we'd sit there and catch kittens and the mother even and we called the RSPCA each time and they came and picked them up.

Finally the big tom cat (and when I say big I mean the most massive cat you've ever seen in your life. Think of a maine coon gone wild and you're getting close) poked his head onto our porch. We slammed the door shut, then slammed the window we'd been hiding behind and I swear this cat ran around the walls horizontal to the floor in a mad rage, hissing and spitting to get away. He was wild in every sense of the word.

Me and my brother were only about 8 or 10 at the time and decide this one was a bit beyond us to catch and box up, so we called Dad to come catch him. In the end, Dad threw a drag net over him and stuffed him in his fishing creal then took him swimming. There really was no other option at the time, and it solved our ferral cat problem in the end.

We kept one of the kittens, but she was never really friendly to anyone but me. That was probably because I was the one that used to spend all my spare time with her.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #723
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Skinny

Finally had a chance to get a pic of our last little fleabag.

Name:  Photo0082.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  60.6 KB
Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 AM   #724
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Are those Go-Faster stripes on her cheeks ?:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 AM   #725
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Skinny is another beauty.
And another shedder I guess

I'm trying to get Hely adopted (put the word out among the artists here). Having her away from me will upset me enormously. But given that HM does not want to look after her I have very little choice. She deserves a home, a proper home. And while she lives anywhere near here she will cleave to me. The only thing to do is to break the connection. I'll grieve for her longer than she will for me. I hope. because I'll miss her long-time.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 AM   #726
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Awww, Sundae...that's so hard to do. I know you have Hely's best interest at heart, but I'm sorry you have to let her go.

When my buddy Gaines was out for three days I wondered if he wondered about me: did he wonder where I was, did he think I'd abandoned him? That was harder than worrying that a coyote got him.

When I found him, it was obvious he missed me: I know he wouldn't have come to anyone else...he is a one person cat.

Hely is very social, from all indications, and will be happy in a good home. But I believe she'll remember you, and remember that you made her happy too.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #727
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

SG - I'm confused here. You had two cats - lost one, got another and you are now looking for someone to adopt one of them?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #728
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

In short, yes.

I had Diz & Dylan. Dylan went missing. I tried everything I could to find him, but there has not been one word of him since the day he went. As Diz was visibly unhappy, I asked HM if he would consider adopting another cat. He was very enthusiastic about it, seeing it as a positive step for both me and Diz.

I adopted Hely. She fought with Diz. I didn't see this as a real issue, because I believed at some point they would settle down together, or at least work out a cat version of time-share for my attention.

However before this could happen, HM told me he wanted me to move out. He offered to take Hely, knowing it would be hard for me to find a new place to live with two cats who didn't get on.

After I had moved out, I was in the yard one day and Hely came in. Of course I petted her. This was the only encouragement she needed. She worked out where the front entrance to the office was, and sat and cried until she was let in. She's been coming in here every day since.

I can't have her in my house - her and Diz will fight again. I would love her to stay here but it's not fair on her to only have a home in office hours (even if some people work until 23.00). HM has come in here to suggest we adopt her because she prefers it here to his place, effectively leaving it up to me again.

So yes. For a person who believes a cat is for life I am facing the horrible scenario of having to pimp out a cat who has never done anything but bond with me and adore me. I'm not proud of this. If I'd had any indication I wasn't in a secure environment I would never have adopted a cat.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #729
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

gotcha - I was confusing the names. I have 3 myself.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #730
impress
It's better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
So yes. For a person who believes a cat is for life I am facing the horrible scenario of having to pimp out a cat who has never done anything but bond with me and adore me. I'm not proud of this. If I'd had any indication I wasn't in a secure environment I would never have adopted a cat.
This is heartbreaking on many levels.

My two cats can't stand each other. One day when Mazel was only about a year old, I came home to find the walls splattered with blood. Mitzvah nearly tore Mazel's ear off and decimated the pads of his paw. He required plastic surgery and recovered well. But to this day, they fight on a near daily basis. Sibling rivalry is not just relegated to humans. That's why yesterday, when a stray, unfixed male cat came over to me looking for some attention, I had to walk away. I hated myself for it but I justified it as being protective of the welfare of my babies.

My heart goes out to you.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #731
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

SG, why couldn't the office adopt the cat? At least in the short run, it sounds like Hely would be happy with it. Cats can tolerate a lot of alone time. And this would give you plenty of time to find someone who can give her a good home.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 AM   #732
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

She'll be cared for here until we find a home for her. The issue with officially adopting her is that she will be locked out every weekend and holiday as we have an alarm set on the building. I'm sure she's adjusted her waking hours to suit, as she sleeps pretty much all day beside my desk, only moving when I get up to go to the kitchen or toilet, when she'll accompany me. That was fine in the summer, but in the Winter she'll be out in pretty grim weather.

Again, we could accept it when we thought she had a home to go to, but if she is solely our responsibility it will be very hard on her. She needs someone to love and care for her and a home to be available 24 hours a day.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #733
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Awww...I forgot about the weekends and holidays. I hope you can find a good home for her soon.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #734
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Cute!!!

I just put my shoulder wrap on my puppy so she would look pretty for the camera. She's growing up so fast!!!

She starts puppy training on Thursday....This should go, uh, well. If they can train owners quick. I'll spare you the video, everybody hates it, because I baby talk to my puppy. So here's just a photo.

Attachment 20165
That is one cute doggie. And I hear she is doing pretty good in doggie school as well. Good job mom.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #735
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

That dog is so cute I could eat her! (Well, it is Friday.)

Puppehs and kittehs make me happy.