Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #7306
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
As an aside, did you know medical ground transport from NYC area to DC area is in the neighborhood of $5k? Amazing. We're probably going to move him in a wheelchair on Amtrak. It's faster and about as convenient.
I believe it. A standard ALS run for my company runs around $700. And that's for trips around 10 miles. Then you add mileage on top of that, specialized equipment like ventilators, any medications used en route, # of crew needed (bariatric pts needing up to 6 people, or long distances requiring a third EMT or sometimes a whole second crew), and you can get into some pretty high numbers. My longest trip was from Akron, OH to Allentown, PA. 380 miles one way. Severe burn pediatric pt. Don't even want to know the bill for that one.

Last edited by Bullitt; 08-06-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #7307
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

This. In the cellar health thread. But I'm jazzed enough it had to go here too.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #7308
chrisinhouston
Professor

The AC repairman came and solved the problem only 1 hour after my call on a day in Houston where it is 100 degrees F. And it only cost $130 and he told me how to resolve the issue myself very inexpensively so it won't happen againg.

And he gave me the winning lottery numbers for the 13 million dollar jackpot and a cure for cancer! What a guy!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #7309
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
This. In the cellar health thread. But I'm jazzed enough it had to go here too.
Awesome!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #7310
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I'm so freaking happy!!!!! I got 2 cards and a gift from Sundae. Plus she has promised me a video of her & her new puppet. WOW!!! This is friggin' awesome.!!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #7311
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I found it I found it I found it.

After two harrowing weeks and hundreds of spreadsheet manipulations, I finally found the last $2000+ to reconcile the 80 million disbursed for that particular aid year.

It was down to the wire. An unforeseen problem made itself evident as I was doing the final crunching. It was a mess. You just keep whittling away and hope you whittle to the right spot. I had to get a week's extension. But it's done.

And I know what to fix to make it go better for the next year's reconciliation, which I'm starting on right now.

I was trying everything. I had anxiety attacks. I threw my hands up in the air. I teared up a time or two. But I finally found it. When I added up the final numbers on my adding machine and they finally equaled what is on record with the Dept...I almost yelled for joy!

I can keep my job for another week or two.

Whew.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #7312
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Adding machine?

Maybe that's the problem.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #7313
infinite monkey

I might try chisenbop next time.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #7314
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
I'm so freaking happy!!!!! I got 2 cards and a gift from Sundae. Plus she has promised me a video of her & her new puppet. WOW!!! This is friggin' awesome.!!
Why does it always arrive all at once?
I sent Bri a postcard too, and she got it aaaaaages ago!

Still, better a mini bonanza than nothing at all

Working on the puppet video.
Don't expect anything other than rank amateurism, and me giggling all over the place! It's nothing like The Sound of Music - just me with a fluffy, squawky hand puppet, making a racket.

I intend to use it to help choose things next school year - as part of taking turns and sharing. What child wouldn't concede to a big pink rackety bird? Or her puppet?

Glad they got there in the end!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #7315
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I found it I found it I found it.
Excellent.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #7316
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Infi - I've been up to the wire on reconciliations before too.

Nothing like the pressure you're under, but due to my problem with numbers they made me extremely stressed. Which apparently translated into fierce. I've never been feared anywhere I've worked before. By the time I found out, I was back to my normal cheery helpful self. Wish I could've milked it...
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #7317
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Mine can take longer because I use a mail service and I only get my mail once a week. You made me so, so happy
Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #7318
infinite monkey

HA! Yeah, they know when my brow knits and I look like I'm about ready to cry...the genius is under the pressure.

I love reconciling. It's why I wanted this job. It's just that I get so busy putting out the fires in the front the main part of my job gets put on the back burner. And it takes a ton of concentration to juggle these kinds of numbers.

I'm so freaking happy I can't stand myself. I've been a stress mess for too long!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #7319
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I think it's kind of funny that they would be willing to pay you for a few weeks to find a missing $2,000. At what point do they say let's just cut our losses?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #7320
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I've got my PhD Transfer coming up (about a year into the phd, you have to go through this process, where they look at your plan and some other stuff, and decide if there really is a Phd in it, and if it looks like you'll be able to complete the project within the allotted time).

I've been 'working' at it for a couple of months, but for the most part it's been like pulling teeth. Have to produce a sample chapter, or long essay of around 10k words, plus a report on the project to date, plus a chapter plan, or thesis outline and a working bibliography.

Anyways, after it just being a real bloody nightmare for weeks, it's started really coming together the past week. I have almost finishe dthe chapter/long essay. Just the conclusion to write and then the referenes and editing. Done the story so far on the prject and research, and got about half the bibilography done.

The long essay is good, i think. And so is the story so far. I'm really pleased with them. Also, whilst it's been a painful problem trying to pull this together into a structured form at such an early stage, it's been really useful. I am starting to see how this thesis might actually look.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote