The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #616
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

There's a worryngly nihilistic tone to some of this.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #617
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

If military personnel don't get paid, they can recoup their loses in goods and services by selling off government property and pressing members of Congress into service as comfort girls. I'm sure some GI would take John Boehner and buttfuck him in the mouth: it's probably better with the ones that cry.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #618
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I, too, believe our troops should and will be paid on time.

What I have NOT heard is one voice saying this exercise has been worthwhile. I add these caveats, no voice that isn't maneuvering for political advantage. Just regular citizen voices. None I've heard say that this is a good idea, we'll show them. No voice has said cuts only to rein in our spending. No one has said changing the tax rules to eliminate exemptions for the well off, *so they pay more*, is a bad idea. No one I read or listen to says this argument should be repeated before the next election. Each side has labored to make a spectacular show of failure (a show only, none want to die) so they can loudly proclaim how the other has acted "treasonously".

Only the politicos want this shit.

And, though there are (whispering) optimistic reports coming from Washington at the moment, the only one of these conditions that is breaking in favor of the citizens I circulate among is that the deal that *might* get worked out will be sufficient to postpone the next battle royale until after the next election.

What I've seen is the accumulation of talking points. There has been on both sides a deliberate, conscious effort to do things that will serve, in the coming election, as evidence, as unassailable truth, for their claims of purity, fidelity, honesty, superiority. You have all borne witness to these actual events. Remember! Fix in your mind *now* what's been happening and compare for yourself the self-serving events of the recent debacle and compare them to the hyper-patriotic claims to come. Prepare to be dazzled by the gap.

Both sides have been gathering ammunition--no, planting ammunition seeds. Seeds that will bear bitter, poisonous fruit force fed to everyone with a television, a radio, eyeballs, ears... a pulse. We're all going to be inundated with it, we'll be drowning in this shit. And who will want to open their mouth to say something reasonable when they're swimming in shit? No one. This is how those with an extremist agenda (tm--tw) gain and hold power.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #619
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Change is required. Pain is inevitable.

Why was the limit raided so many times during other presidents tenures, yet this pres wants it to be raised and the issue put away till after the election? That is different than all those other times. The current situation is vastly different than all those other times.

This is more than political. We have hit the wall, again - Change is required. Pain is inevitable.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #620
classicman

And Bri, the color of this pres has nothing to do with this issue to about 99% of the people and ZERO to all the rational ones. Please take your race card and stuff it.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #621
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
The republicans are kicking the most vunerable and the ones in harms way to the curb to make sure Obama fails. it is truly sickening and I think it's about time for a revolution.

The hysteria of white America to this president is completely nutty.
FTFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Change is required. Pain is inevitable.
I read that as "Palin is inevitable" and threw up in my mouth a ittle.

Quote:
And Bri, the color of this pres has nothing to do with this issue to about 99% of the people and ZERO to all the rational ones. Please take your race card and stuff it.
Class, you live in the northeast. In the northeast, Obama's race is not the issue. In toomany other areas of the country, and too many other subcultures, his race is a huge issue.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #622
SatelliteHead
The Great Satellite in the Sky

Code:
I, too, believe our troops should and will be paid on time.
Actually if history teaches us anything, it's that soldiers and vetrans get screwed over once the war is over.
SatelliteHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #623
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Oh it most certainly IS an issue in many regions and ideologies. Uppity black man!!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #624
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Means exist to get the military paid on time, even before a new budget is approved...
Those means have been in use just to keep the government running since we went over the debt limit. The August 2 date isn't when we go over the limit - that date is long past - it's when the Treasury thinks it will no longer be able to shuffle money around to put off not paying bills.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #625
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I read that as "Palin is inevitable" and threw up in my mouth a little.
Ewwww - me too.

Quote:
In too many other areas of the country, and too many other subcultures, his race is a huge issue.
Well then we should just bomb them all.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #626
Spexxvet

Quote:
Well then we should just bomb them all.
No, let's give them a dark tan, a fat lip and a perm.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #627
classicman

wai.... wha?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #628
Spexxvet

Take all the people who have an issue with Obama due to his race and make them African American.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #629
classicman

Ohhh well thats just rapier, rapist... RACIST!

Seriously though. It seems that many times people who disagree with him are accused of doing so because of his skin color.
Thats just bullshit and a lame excuse IMO. But if you say its so in other areas or whatever, thats fine. I have only seen the racist assholes on facebook articles. Apparently I don't frequent with those types of people much.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #630
glatt

So they did it. They reached a debt limit agreement. They slashed the budget. And now they can smile and go off on vacation with a sense of accomplishment. Job well done, right?

We won't mention that they left the partial FAA shutdown in effect, and as a result, it will cost the government about a billion dollars in uncollected airline ticket taxes during their month long vacation.

Have a great vacation!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote