The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When you hit bad weather, just have the little woman get out and put the chains on. Why did you think those guys bring their wives along, company?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #47
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR
It's gonna suck hauling 46,000 pounds over the Rockies. I hope I don't need those chains!

Be good, y'all!

Brian

Thanks for the warning! I'll be sure to stay away from I-70 for the next few days! You get to drive over Vail Pass, you lucky boy! Of course you're gonna need those chains! Trucks jack knife on Vail all the time. And watch out for all the elk and deer that like to wander down the road over in western Colorado. Say, did I mention that we're due for a blizzard here ?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #48
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Made the Rockies safely. Currently in South Carolina. I gots 45,000 lbs of BEER to deliver tomorrow morning! Might be 44,000 due to "evaporation" or whatever else I can come up with. Harris Teeter sucks dirty ass and I will never haul for them again. Oh, I showed them my appreciation for holding me in a parking lot WITHOUT PAY for twelve hours by leaving them a special delivery of my own to find. HEHEHE

If y'all want a phone call as I pass through or want to set up a meeting (if at all possible), email me at newbrianrem2@yahoo.com and I will see what I can do.

Back to work!

Brian
Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #49
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Rockies: home of black glare ice this season. Can't expect anything else at five to ten thousand feet altitude.

Detail question: how many of the dormitory-type long-haul cabs include a microwave for cooking your own food?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #50
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Stop by a lagre truck stop some time , you can get 12v toaster ovens , coffie pots , refridgeraters , hair dryers , ,,,,, well damn near ANY thing .
I have Never seen a 12v microwave , BUT you can pick up many different power inverters for conversion from 12vdc to 110vac .
Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or 24 vdc to 110 vac.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #52
Urbane Guerrilla

I figured the apparatus would need an inverter. Now about how many cost-saving truckers are eatin' their own cookin'?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #53
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Now about how many cost-saving truckers are eatin' their own cookin'?
More than you would think .
The smart truckers have their time and the trucks running time calculated , so they can tell you how much it is costing them for the truck to be running and them to be standing around ( diesel cost , MPG , pay per hour (( though most of these guys are being payed for loads hauled or miles driven )))
Old 01-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Plus, getting a decent meal at a decent price at the right time in their itinerary.
They may not feel like driving another hour or two after supper when the truck stop doesn’t jibe with their log book limit.
They also may have a restricted, by choice or Doc’s orders, diet, that clashes with restaurant chow. They could be kosher, vegan, or cannibals.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 01-27-2006 at 01:05 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #55
mrnoodle
bent

Johnson's Corner on I-25 between Denver and the Wyo border. Best truck stop in the world, bar none. And it's only 5 minutes from my house, so we eat breakfast there about once a week

Have you been?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #56
fargon

42 on Johnsons Corner. My favorite T/S is Jubitz in Portland Or. Pricy but worth it, but I will stop at any Petro. Flying J SUX. Real Men Pull Flat Beds.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.

Last edited by fargon; 01-27-2006 at 11:06 AM.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Johnson's Corner on I-25 between Denver and the Wyo border. Best truck stop in the world, bar none. And it's only 5 minutes from my house, so we eat breakfast there about once a week

Have you been?
Yes.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #58
BrianR

me too. It got a gold star in my truck stop guide.

I make my own food in my truck, but no microwave. I use a toaster oven and crock pot for my cooking needs. I keep plenty of canned foods and a few fresh things in my (tiny) fridge for when I'm stuck without a decent truck stop or restaurant within walking distance. It happens once a week or so. My only gripe is that when sleeping in a parking lot, there's also no bathrooms. You guess what I do in that case.

By the way, I bought a new laptop so I can be online more often now. WinBlows 2000 really sucks...can't wait to convert to Win XP Pro when I get home.

I am currently in Oklahoma City, heading to Pittsburg KS tomorrow morning.

I will try to keep my routing posted and more or less current for those who want to meet me for lunch or dinner. I only post starting and ending points so you will need to check a map to see what highways I will be on. Just use interstates for the route and the shortest way is where I will be. Bear in mind that I cannot stop just anywhere so you will have to come to me. Big trucks don't fit in small parking lots. I can however, travel away from the t/s if you do the driving. Just don't let's take a long time...I gotta turn them wheels. And sleep. Sleep is good.

Brian
Old 01-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #59
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've got friends down Pittsburg way. Email me whenever you come through KC (its gonna happen someday...I35, I29 and I70 all go through here)...I'll buy you breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack, depending on when you're here.

endymion@lunalushede.org (to save you from having to look it up)
Old 01-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #60
BrianR

Been there several times, just not to stop, only pass through. Next time I find a place to park. I'll email if I see a route going through there.