Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-26-2005, 05:56 AM   #46
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
You, Griff, have either told me at least one lie in that post, or you suffer from muddy thinking. You can do better.
No, I can't. We agree on a lot but not this one.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:45 AM   #47
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Not obligated, I think he meant morally permitted.
I don't see a difference when it comes to war.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:02 PM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Quite.

After all, is there a more easily discernible evil on Earth's face than that of tyranny, totalitarianism, and all their variations and degrees of oppression? Ever notice just how much of the world's garbage happens in places that aren't democracies, but are democracy's opposite?

Remove the lot!

And it'll take more than calm, reasoned explanation of why representative democracy is really better all around to shift these buggers. That's human nature: people will fight like mad dogs to attain or retain power. You want freedom? -- be prepared to shoot mad dogs, and don't just confine yourself to shooting. You know they'd just as soon bomb you; be prepared to bomb.

When the last dictator is hanged on the guts of the last national chief of secret police, how much of the world's misery will have fled?
Holy cow! You must scare the crap out of those tyrants. You sure scare the crap out of me.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #49
lookout123
changed his status to single

hmm, an interventionist with Radar's passion.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 AM   #50
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, Bruce, I've been part of the shooting-at-tyranny, in my country's uniform. The experience of nine years of doing this convinced me of the necessity of being willing and able to give tyrannies the chop. This is what the freedom people, and the free peoples, should be doing, and doing a lot more of it. Certainly the tyrannies won't.

If you govern by arbitrary decree and not by a constitution, if the populace is not the source of all the political power, what you are is a target.

Dictatorships primarily exist to oppress, in a greater or lesser degree -- but oppression is what they do, in the last analysis, either by pogroms or by partiality. This is widely understood to be a bad thing.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #51
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'm with you man but if the result is a civil war there's a chance you could just wind up with another tyranny. Doing it right is a wonderful thing. Doing it wrong...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:21 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

On the TV news today (CNN) they made the statement that "The adinistration concedes Iraq will probably have a low-grade civil war when we leave." WTF? Low-grade? They didn't name a source.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

UG, if you take a hard line, "Because I'm the Mommy" stance they leave home and never call or send you birthday cards.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:46 PM   #54
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sounds like they expect this level of pointless blowings-up to continue for a time -- to total futility. The anti-liberty Rump Saddamite faction continues being unable to change anything but the bodycount. The Ba'athists, having spent a generation mismanaging things and wasting their nation's time and substance in oppression and repression, aren't coming back; the rest of Iraq isn't going to let them.

In my opinion, they should quit wasting their explosives. They've made it perfectly clear that all they have to offer is death -- and death in the aid of the evil of totalitarianism, yet. I see the rest of Iraq offering a collective "No, Thanks!" in reply. The rest of the Iraqis are also tougher than you guys -- they are pushing on. All the Rump Saddamites are doing is bending up a lot of car parts.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #55
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Work has sucked, I worked a double last night because someone called in vomiting an hour before their shift was to start and I've been behind on my news watching and reading ... someone at work today mentioned that the draft Iraqi Constitution is preparing them to set up an Islamic Theocracy ... comments/confirmation?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 AM   #56
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

If so, the oppressed class will go from "enemies of Saddam" to "women and anyone who is viewed as less devout than the ruling clergy".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 AM   #57
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
...someone at work today mentioned that the draft Iraqi Constitution is preparing them to set up an Islamic Theocracy...
This would come as a surprise?

1) It could give Bush and his religious right nut-job buddies a class in how to run things

2) We only really have the power to bomb people, not change their thinking

3) Our leaders don't really care how it turns out so long as the oil and votes keeps flowing
Old 07-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #58
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I don't know about you all but the oil is hardly flowing here in Ohio. Two-thirtyeight/gallon is not exactly what we all expected after "winning" the war.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But it's there, so it is flowing. It's $2.38 because the profits are flowing too.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #60
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I don't know about you all but the oil is hardly flowing here in Ohio. Two-thirtyeight/gallon is not exactly what we all expected after "winning" the war.
Thats why the war is a failure from two different points of view.

Liberals hate the entire idea of a 'blood for oil' war.

Neo-Cons hate the idea of a failed 'blood for oil' war which will cost $300 billion, hasn't resulted in any significant oil exports, and where we actually have to give the country back.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote