The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 11-30-2001, 01:26 PM   #46
dave

Okay. So I have a question -

Not being in Philadelphia, but more in the Northern Virginia/DC area, where can I find a decent cheesesteak that is at least somewhat representative of the quality that would be found in Philly?

I know sycamore can help me out with this. Or maybe not.

Anyway. One of these days I'll come up to Philly. We should get some cheesesteaks or something. Must get car first. Man. Always something to spend money on
Old 11-30-2001, 03:51 PM   #47
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Damn...that's a toughie. Even after trying in several distant locales, I can't remeber *ever* having anything that truly captured the essence of either a cheesesteak *or* a hoagie anywhere else on the planet. Conventional wisdom is that it is largely an issue of the rolls used, and I'm loathe to disagree.

There's also the influence of a certain native wild abandon towards fat, oils and starch that is the perfect local blend of German and Italian cultures.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 05:11 PM   #48
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
I know sycamore can help me out with this. Or maybe not.
Ah, this is where being a former resident of DC actually pays off.

The Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory on Baltimore Ave. (Rt. 1) in downtown College Park, MD. If you don't have anyone to take you over there, take the Green Line to the College Park/UMD station. Walk under the tunnel and walk up Calvert Rd. to Baltimore Ave. (about 4 blocks). Hang a right at Baltimore Ave., stay on the right hand side of the street, and it's about 2 blocks up. Truth be told, it doesn't compare to anything in Philadelphia, but it's not half-bad.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 05:39 PM   #49
dave

Word up, G. Since I have never experienced the Philly cheesesteak, I cannot compare - but I did hit a really good cheesesteak somewhere around here. They are apparently a place that has a shop open in Philly, but I don't remember their name. Friend of mine and I went there for lunch one day. It was pretty tasty. And yes, the bread was great.

The guy downstairs in our cafeteria also makes what I consider to be a pretty tasty cheesesteak. It's not the best one I've ever had, but it beats a hot dog any day of the week
Old 12-01-2001, 05:39 PM   #50
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

The Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory on Baltimore Ave. (Rt. 1) in downtown College Park, MD. ... Truth be told, it doesn't compare to anything in Philadelphia, but it's not half-bad.
Hmmm. I'll hgave to try it if I'm ever down that way again. But I usually regard the word "Philadelphia" in a cheesesteak offering to be the kiss-of-death.

If it doesn't compare to anything in Philly, they should call it the "College Park Cheesteak Factory". :-) College Park does have a cute little airport, though...longest continuously operating one in the US, I beleve.

Old 12-01-2001, 09:29 PM   #51
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
If it doesn't compare to anything in Philly, they should call it the "College Park Cheesteak Factory". :-)
If it's not in Philadelphia, it really doesn't compare. Just like going to the grocery store and buying the Philly Steak. Ummm...no.

Quote:
College Park does have a cute little airport, though...longest continuously operating one in the US, I beleve.
Correct. I believe they have antique planes there as well. I remember passing by it on Metro's green line as you head towards Greenbelt.

One time though, that place completely fucked up my order. I believe I ordered a chicken cheesesteak hoagie...and I wanted nothing on it (i.e. no peppers or onions). When I got home, all I had was a vegetarian hoagie. Lettuce and tomato...that was it. Man, was I pissed! I promptly drove back over there (b/c it was only 10 minutes from our apartment) and got it corrected...fucking moron. If I remember correctly, it's in a building that used to be one of the Little Taverns that used to be all over the DC area.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:02 AM   #52
dave

Well. Lunch time is starting, and the guy downstairs makes a pretty good cheesesteak. It's pretty cheap ($2.90, + $.90 for fries). Lotsa cheese, pretty alright bread... I get peppers and onions on it, and i'm pretty generous with the mayonnaise. I think I shall be having one of those for lunch today
Old 12-09-2001, 12:18 AM   #53
elSicomoro

Quote:
Well. Lunch time is starting, and the guy downstairs makes a pretty good cheesesteak. It's pretty cheap ($2.90, + $.90 for fries). Lotsa cheese, pretty alright bread... I get peppers and onions on it, and i'm pretty generous with the mayonnaise. I think I shall be having one of those for lunch today
No, that's HORRIBLE! It is NOT a real cheesesteak!! And if you ate it, you have FUCKING lost what little brains you have left!!! MORON!!!

Sorry...I was in a bit of a dham moment there.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:26 AM   #54
dave

You're a boner.

To each his own, man. But I can back up the goodness of the $2.90 cheesesteak. At least, I could have. George got fired, which means he's not making it anymore. Oh well. But it was a pretty fine sub.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:20 AM   #55
MaggieL

Quote:
mayonnaise
Perv. :-)

Old 12-09-2001, 11:51 AM   #56
dave

Mayo is good. Really really good. Though I prefer dipping my sandwiches in it and then eating, instead of just spreading it on the whole thing. You know - dip, bite, dip, bite. It's all good
Old 12-09-2001, 01:29 PM   #57
elSicomoro

Quote:
Mayo is good. Really really good. Though I prefer dipping my sandwiches in it and then eating, instead of just spreading it on the whole thing. You know - dip, bite, dip, bite. It's all good
Yeah, you gotta have the mayo, particularly on a chicken steak. And this is one of those situations where Miracle Whip will not do.

I'm still appalled at the one place I went to that used tartar sauce...blecch!
Old 12-09-2001, 03:45 PM   #58
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I just have to note at this point that the best commercially available mayo is Trader Joe's. It's more like hollandaise than mayonnaise. That is all.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 04:29 PM   #59
dave

I haven't tried it, but there's a TJ's right near my house. I'll have to have Jenni pick some up and make it into a sandwich.

Personally, I do appreciate the taste of Hellman's. I think it's still really damn good, even after all these years of eating it. Mayo goes good on a lot of things.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:46 PM   #60
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Talking

Quote:
Personally, I do appreciate the taste of Hellman's. I think it's still really damn good, even after all these years of eating it. Mayo goes good on a lot of things.
Ah, good choice. I'm a Kraft Real Mayo gal myself, even though I'm not suppose to have that. *grins*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote