The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #46
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

I'm sorry you are such an intolerant woman jinx. Seems like personal bias is too much of a string for you to hold. That you cannot respect others values and beliefs---that is very much medieval in mindset and time. Thanks for labeling me as a Bible thumping priest but I too am an atheist if you find that hard to believe.

Here's a good quote for you intolerant self centered atheists.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Heard of him?
It's atheists who go around screaming "RELIGION SUCKS" that give atheism a bad name.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #47
freshnesschronic
Professor

Joke:

Too bad all the creationists are all at church, temple or synagogue!
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #48
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeboduuza View Post
It's atheists who go around screaming "RELIGION SUCKS" that give atheism a bad name.

fucktard
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #49
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
I'm sorry you are such an intolerant woman jinx.

Yeah... I'm not. Not sorry at all. Religion poisons everything.
And I didn't label you. I don't care what you choose to believe, just don't ask me to agree with you, or pretend that I don't think your beliefs are silly.

"You" is a general term.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Where, anywhere, did a creationist viewpoint try to prove wrong science, huh Bruce?
Whoa Nellie! Have you been paying attention? Here in PA, and elsewhere like Kansas, or even the National Park system, they are running amok.

The Grand Canyon was NOT formed in a few weeks or months. The Dinosaurs did NOT live 2000 years ago.
Their efforts to cram millions of years of history into a few thousand years IS an attack on science.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #51
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
This chart in Clodfobble's link on speciation could certainly be called modification in response to a threat, specifically the loss of their normal food supply.
Right, the species was modified in response to the threat, when the individual bugs who by random chance best handled the new food bred more. The individual flies didn't modify their genes to metabolize the new food better.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #52
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

Bruce I was referring to the thread.

And fatass and his wife, whatever, it doesn't even mean anything anymore what they say. LJ just rushed in to spit an insult, that's their method of support.

Last edited by Jeboduuza; 07-15-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Jeboduuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Right, the species was modified in response to the threat, when the individual bugs who by random chance best handled the new food bred more. The individual flies didn't modify their genes to metabolize the new food better.
OK, I follow you. But the groups did change and diverge in response to outside stimuli. There must be an awful lot of fruit flies out there that can't get laid.... they're lucky then don't live long.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Bruce I was referring to the thread.
Just because no creationist came and posted, doesn't limit the discussion. Their views, the ones that are actively trying to undermine the achievements of science, are well know and publicized

You said,
Quote:
Why does everyone put down creationists? You know, people who maintain religion and origin from a supreme being? I bet that's the majority of the board, but I don't know for sure.
I'd bet money that the vast majority of the faithful are pretty ambivalent on the debate between scientists and creation activists, despite rkzenrage's attempts to lump all Christians into one camp.

Further I'd bet most Christians realize the old testament was a record of Jewish history, with the "before known" filled in to explain what they didn't know because humans are curious.

Rational people would understand that science has filled in the "unknown" with "known" and "highly likely".

I have no problem with keeping the faith and accepting knowledge as it becomes available. Neither has to negate the other.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #55
rkzenrage

Quote:
Why does everyone put down creationists? You know, people who maintain religion and origin from a supreme being? I bet that's the majority of the board, but I don't know for sure.
Recklessly calling it mumbo jumbo warrants offense to many.
Not the people being put down, it is the idea.
No reason to respect the idea. It flies in the face of all current data. Show data supporting creationism and all dissent will go away. It really is that simple.
You can still respect the person that believes it, but there is no reason to show any deference to something that is so obviously false, especially when there are those trying to harm our children and their futures by foisting it upon them and trying to steal their time studying real science with that drivel.
If those who believe this want to disable their children from being able to think scientifically, child abuse IMO, but fine for them I guess. They need to send their kid to a religious institution that teaches it... even those are becoming hard to find.
But, there is no reason for anyone to respect an idea, it does not disrespect the people who hold that idea... that is a falsehood.
Way of life?
Hardly, it is just a belief about how things began... nothing more.
Creationists entering a discussion about evolution is not a bad thing, but it is off-topic.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #56
rkzenrage

I'm sick of this,
Creationism has the same opportunity that evolution had when it was seen as nutty as creationism is seen now.
Present your hypothesis (I have yet to see it presented in a scientific manner) so that it can be peer-reviewed.
That is how a theory happens... the ONLY way!!!!!!
If another scientist cannot recreate your results, the same way you did, guess what, your shit ends there, end of story, no theory, no lectures, no nothing, laughing stock... that is the first and, really, only step past hypothesis to theory, peer-review.
Then, others review your work, their work, do it for themselves, then apply it differently, change it for different, but similar results, write papers as well... then the theory becomes "accepted".
That is all creationists have to do.
I REALLY, HONESTLY, DO NOT see what they are COMPLAINING about!!!!!
Just do the science and then all this crap will just GO AWAY!!!
I don't want to hear any nutty bullshit about faith.
You want to be seen as a science then do science.
You want to be a faith, then shut-up and get out of the pool and go play in the sandbox with the other religions.
Again, it REALLY IS that simple.

Quote:
I'd bet money that the vast majority of the faithful are pretty ambivalent on the debate between scientists and creation activists, despite rkzenrage's attempts to lump all Christians into one camp.
I have never done that. You know nothing about me.
I have issues with a great deal about Religion, not people of faith. The two have nothing to do with each other.
My son is less likely to hear about creationism, at all, at his Episcopal school (that brags about teaching to kids of all faiths and flies flags of 24 faiths in it's lobby, all the faiths of it's kids), than in the FL public school system. The Episcopal church backs Americans United for the Separation of Church and State and teaches pure Evolution.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-15-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #57
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

Wow, sorry the whole board is full of intolerant purists science atheists who can't even have friends who might keep a faith because they are so dumb as to not believe the wonders of science.

As an atheist and evolutionist but ALSO an accepting tolerant man who embraces diversity in our country I am sad that I am surrounded here by atheists and evolutionists who's goal in life is to despise and put down all "traditional explanation."

Ok, so moreover the creationists, specifically Protestant Christians in the USA, "attack" science and provide "bogus" explanations. Ok. So they tell us off and get on our case. Why do we have to tell them off too, why do we have to be the hater. Why can't we accept our own "spiritual" differences and deal with it.
I myself am GOING to respect everything they believe in, even if I don't agree with it. Because my morals of an atheist evolutionist tell me who the hell cares if they don't think the way I think they are no less of a good person than me. In fact we can all learn from everyones differences.

So wait a second, so we are going to act just like "them", and show our own intolerance of religion instead of allowing religion to still maintain itself? We have to shun it and brutalize religion just because we don't think the same? So we need to go out of our way to make sure every faith believer knows he or she is wrong and science is true and you suck for believing? Why can't we just be tolerant of human differences. Are you going to go tell Amazonian, distant African and Pacific Island peoples that because they have no exposure to science that they are "teh sux0rs" and are ridiculous and therefore beneath us, the high and mighty educated higher class atheists and evolutionists?

To have NO RESPECT for another persons beliefs, values, religious beliefs, is highly unsophisticated and uncivilized.

So much for our science.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #58
rkzenrage

Quote:
Wow, sorry the whole board is full of intolerant purists science atheists who can't even have friends who might keep a faith because they are so dumb as to not believe the wonders of science.
LOL!
Full of the intolerant? Really, who, name one.
Did you read my post at all?
Belief is not a part of science, the nature of it is that it changes daily... that is the only thing you can believe in when it comes to science.
Why would one respect a belief they do not hold?
Makes no sense.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
I agree with that, but it does not say you have to tell them you agree with, think that their belief is accurate/respectable/etc.
I guess you were not here for the discussion about Europe outlawing speech from the neonazi groups.
Do you respect the beliefs and opinions of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao... genocide is very effective you know? You don't want to offend.
Or just those who are on the opposite end of the political spectrum? Yeah, I buy that you REALLY respect their ideas.
Not them, just what they believe... bullshit.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-15-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #59
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

So fellow atheist and evolutionist, do you politely decline to speak to people of faith? Do you disassociate with them?

For they speak blasphemy in the name of science!
Can't you just let some things be?

And do I really need to tell you who is intolerant? I mean, jinx JUST blatantly admitted a few posts ago.

If you want to be a hardass atheist "Darwin rocks my socks" then whatever. I just don't see a point.
I wonder rk, if you respect your parents. Because I bet money they weren't atheists.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Wow, sorry the whole board is full of intolerant purists science atheists who can't even have friends who might keep a faith because they are so dumb as to not believe the wonders of science. ~snip
Damn, you sure get surrounded easily. There are a whole shitload of people on this board... two or three don't represent everyone, nor are they capable of surrounding.

You accused me of picking on the faithful and I demonstrated that is not the case. My objection is to the creationist activists trying to discredit legitimate science. So can the, "you're all intolerant", bullshit, it don't float.... and it voids any legitimate points you're trying to present.