The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #46
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Bravo!

Flippin' *perfect*. "10"
Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #47
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

What a load of crap. I'd give it a zero.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #48
lookout123
changed his status to single

zero? because it's untrue or because you don't like knowing about it?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 AM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Zero for putting on the best show they could? "Enhancing" the fireworks, covering a building under construction, dressing kids in ethnic costumes, filling empty seats? C'mon, that's nothing new. Shit, they even have people to fill seats, when someone goes to the bathroom, during the Academy Awards broadcast.

The switching girls in the opening ceremony was kind of shitty for the kids, but common practice in the entertainment industry. Well duh, this is entertainment folks. The games are, and the hoopla that always surrounds them is most certainly is.

The "updating" the ages of the gymnasts is bad, no question, but blocking access to controversial (embarrassing) web sites for reporters that are supposed to be covering the games, doesn't bother me. If they were really covering the games, why do they need that material? If they wanted to write about that stuff, they could have done that from home instead of burning tons of jet fuel to go to China.

I don't see the presentation of these games as fake, as a matter of fact, I think they are pretty damn good.
And guess what, unlike the tools that wrote that piece, I know China was, is, and probably always will be, unlike the west. If you disaprove of China, don't go there... or to walmart.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:52 AM   #50
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
zero? because it's untrue or because you don't like knowing about it?
Neither of your reasons lookout. I think Bruce summed it up quite nicely (although it seems strange to me that I should be agreeing with him so much lately...must be something to do with going cuckoo and all).

The piece is obviously a farce for starters, and it's not very funny. Someone highly critical of China (perhaps even someone who happens to be anti-china) wrote it and in an attempt at humour, they've crossed out the blatant criticizms and changed the wording to more diplomatic language. It's just rude really in my opinion.

China have done a good job in presenting these games. They've provided excellent accomodation for athletes. The venues are second to none. They've done everything they can to present visitors, media and tourists with the best face they possibly can.

If you ask me, it's just sour grapes on the part of anyone who wants to criticize China for providing a safe and beautiful environment for the worlds premier sporting competitions.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:57 AM   #51
Aliantha

I will also add once again that I believe the olympic games should not be a platform for any political adgendas and because China has done everything required of it in order to put on a world class event, they have fulfilled their resposibility to the rest of the world.

Once the torch is turned off and all the athletes go home, you can all go hard on it. Say what you want and go ahead and protest all you like, but don't make a mockery of the efforts of your own athletes and those of the rest of the world by suggesting they're participating in a less than acceptable competition.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #52
lookout123

I think the competitions have been legitimate and excellent except for the known cases of changing athletes ages for eligibility. I don't mind them switching out pretty for not quite pretty enough girls. I don't mind digitally enhanced fireworks displays. I don't mind having standins for the different ethnic groups.

I do mind when those things are supposed to be secrets.

We all know the fireworks display is mostly for the people sitting at home watching on tv. I'd have been more impressed if they'd explained how cool the technology is that made that replication possible, rather than pretending it was all happening just like we saw.

I actually think the putting up the pictures of the building is pretty cool, especially the two guys in the window. Nice touch. I'd think it was way cooler if they hadn't spent all that money to do when they are covering up slums with walls nearby.

I would have been much more impressed to hear the reason for the standin children is because the land is so widespread and diverse that it can be difficult to actually gather real representatives.

I don't have a problem with the games, other than where the cheating has been blatant. The athletes have given us some great entertainment and to them I say well done. China has hosted the games and for the most part they've done a good job and for that I say well done. If they ever get the chance to do something like this again I hope they do it a little different.

But then again, I was seriously irritated that before each of the Super Bowls that Phoenix has hosted we had cops rounding up the homeless and giving them one way bus tickets to anywhere they wanted to go. Welcome to life.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #53
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
I think the competitions have been legitimate and excellent except for the known cases of changing athletes ages for eligibility. I don't mind them switching out pretty for not quite pretty enough girls. I don't mind digitally enhanced fireworks displays. I don't mind having standins for the different ethnic groups.

I do mind when those things are supposed to be secrets.

We all know the fireworks display is mostly for the people sitting at home watching on tv. I'd have been more impressed if they'd explained how cool the technology is that made that replication possible, rather than pretending it was all happening just like we saw.

I actually think the putting up the pictures of the building is pretty cool, especially the two guys in the window. Nice touch. I'd think it was way cooler if they hadn't spent all that money to do when they are covering up slums with walls nearby.

I would have been much more impressed to hear the reason for the standin children is because the land is so widespread and diverse that it can be difficult to actually gather real representatives.

I don't have a problem with the games, other than where the cheating has been blatant. The athletes have given us some great entertainment and to them I say well done. China has hosted the games and for the most part they've done a good job and for that I say well done. If they ever get the chance to do something like this again I hope they do it a little different.

But then again, I was seriously irritated that before each of the Super Bowls that Phoenix has hosted we had cops rounding up the homeless and giving them one way bus tickets to anywhere they wanted to go. Welcome to life.
Yeah. Well put. The whole post expresses my feelings far better that I could articulate them. Further, I find the fact that many people, especially in China, no.... anywhere, will be mislead by these, uh, well, let's face it. These lies. That's why I'm chapped.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #54
lookout123

WooHoo!

US women beat Brazil 1-0 for the Gold in soccer!

ESPN

This is the result we should have seen at the World Cup if the former coach hadn't decided to be nostalgic and a big softy before the final when he switched keepers.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #55
Aliantha

Quote:
Why would you think the children were from each individual province anyway? Surely no one here is that naive? Why would they bother? If someone was showcasing the US and wanted someone to represent each state, do you really think they'd actually get someone from that state to do so? Especially if they didn't have a speaking part. Especially if they just had to parade around in a costume? I don't think so.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #56
lookout123

If they represented each of the 50 states? yeah, I would expect it.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #57
Aliantha

Right. So do they choose someone who lives their now? Lived their most of their life but has moved? Wasn't born there but lived there most of their life? Or do they put an add in the local paper and ask for people who have a connection to the state in some way? What's your criteria of a representative?

Seriously, if these representatives were being presented to the rest of the world, do you think the rest of the world would really know the difference or even care if you had someone from south carolina representing georgia?

I don't think so.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #58
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

These are, however, not just municipal border distinctions but actual race distinctions for them. It would be more like if the U.S. were trying to show off our racial diversity, and we marched out a train of white people wearing the traditional clothing of Africans, Mexicans, etc.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #59
lookout123

Certainly you're not saying someone would care about that? Don't be naive.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
If they represented each of the 50 states? yeah, I would expect it.
Here, I would expect it too, because there would probably be a competition in each state, sponsored by Coke, Pepsi or maybe McDonald's, and the winner in each state would be related to a large campaign contributor of the current state governor.

The Chinese just did the economical and expedient thing, by calling central casting. After all, don't all those orientals look alike?