The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 09-03-2011, 03:48 AM   #46
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
... The opportunity I'm considering is a software craftsmanship apprenticeship at 8th Light.
Are you referring to their three month apprenticeship program after which they say they'll help you find employment; but, don't guarantee employment with them?
---------------------------------------------------------
"We are educators.

We offer three month apprenticeships that will push the limits of your knowledge and help prepare you for a career in software development.
"
"Complete our program, and we'll help you find a job."

Last edited by sexobon; 09-03-2011 at 04:13 AM.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #47
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Are you referring to their three month apprenticeship program after which they say they'll help you find employment; but, don't guarantee employment with them?
It's a tailored program. The way mine is setup, I'd do the 3 month apprenticeship remotely, while I'm still working my day job. Then the paid residency phase starts, which is another 3-6 months the end goal of which is becoming an 8th Light craftsman.

The way I see it working is that I'll go out there for the paid part, and if all goes well, we'll then sell our house and move to Chicago for real. Minimizes any downside risk.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #48
Griff
still says videotape

Pete and I went through a thing where she did a ton of travel for a much higher salary, which didn't turn out to be as high as advertised. We learned that it wasn't worth it, but we'd never have known without the try. It sounds like you have an out if it won't work... but only you can answer the question. Good luck! It is good to have opportunities no matter your choice.