The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-06-2003, 06:24 PM   #46
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Pretzels and beer
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:13 PM   #47
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

What does he taste like?
Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Pretzels and beer
To win the all so prized Hispanic vote, and because polls say it is the most popular - I would have guessed Salsa.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 07:33 PM   #48
elSicomoro

Nah, he just rolls out George P. or Columba when needed.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:22 PM   #49
tw

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Nah, he just rolls out George P. or Columba when needed.
Unfortunately Columbia didn't roll. It yawwed too much
Old 02-09-2003, 04:58 PM   #50
tw

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Time's up. Bush has never requested a cut in the NASA budget, and never ever will.
From today's NY Times:
Quote:
Officials said that project ran into serious technical problems, and its costs spiraled. As a result of the cancellations, the Bush administration proposed cutting some $530 million over six years from the budget for safety and performance upgrades to the shuttle; the money was no longer needed, officials said.
Quote:
From NY Times at NY Times of 9 Feb 2003:
The troubled 1999 mission prompted the Clinton administration to change course and pump new money and employees into the shuttle program — only to see the Bush administration propose sharp cutbacks in spending on safety upgrades. ...

But Mr. Clinton did embrace one change: pushing NASA to do what would have once been unthinkable by joining forces with the Russians in building the International Space Station. The venture was meant to foster a new spirit of East-West cooperation and keep Russian rocket scientists from selling their services to rogue states. ...

According to the General Accounting Office, by late 2000 NASA was planning to develop and equip the shuttle fleet with some $2.2 billion in safety upgrades — "making it the most aggressive modification effort ever undertaken by the shuttle program." ...

The Bush Years Battles for Money, Concerns for Safety
By April 2002, NASA had decided to cancel three planned safety upgrades, including a plan to switch the shuttle's auxiliary power unit from a highly flammable fuel to a safer electrical system. Officials said that project ran into serious technical problems, and its costs spiraled. As a result of the cancellations, the Bush administration proposed cutting some $530 million over six years from the budget for safety and performance upgrades to the shuttle; the money was no longer needed, officials said.
It is unlikely that these budget cuts had a direct effect on Columbia. But they were so severe that some NASA people wrote personal letters directly to George Jr demanding that the president stop all shuttle flights before someone got killed.

In the meantime, maintenance on shuttle heat tiles, once performed by a Lockheed(?) facility in CA, was recently transfered to a whole new organization in FL. This new organization apparently was even unfamiliar with a benchmark 1990 report (by a lady engineer with a notable accent) that detailed shuttle tile failure modes and that had created many changes to how shuttle tiles were applied and maintained.

Last edited by tw; 02-09-2003 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:47 PM   #51
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Unlikely that the proposed cuts affected Columbia, yessir I should say so.

Bush has never requested a cut in NASAs budget, and never ever will. That the NYT found $500M over 6 years of PROPOSED cuts inside an ACTUAL increase and wrote a negative story about it, including the grumblings of a Democratic Rep from Florida, does not surprise me in the least. The NYT is highly partisan and so are you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #52
elSicomoro

Look you stoopid bastard, if it's printed in the NY Times, then it's gonna happen. You just don't get it, do you?
Old 02-09-2003, 05:51 PM   #53
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I gotta stop completely editing my posts one minute after posting them.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 05:55 PM   #54
elSicomoro

Okay, paint me stoopid here, but what's up with the lady with a notable accent? And how does this accent affect the current situation at NASA?
Old 02-09-2003, 06:05 PM   #55
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
The NYT is highly partisan and so are you.
Heh heh heh. TW, you are HIGHLY PARTISAN! Strong words, UT. Make 'im cry.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 06:14 PM   #56
elSicomoro

Tw is also never wrong. Never ever ever ever ever wrong. I defer to his incredible intelligence. I am completely unworthy, and only half the man that he is. I don't even know why any of us bother to call him out time and time again...we are mental midgets compared to this brainiac.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to sucking face with the president...