The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ah ha, the truth is out. You've been hanging around for a year and a half just waiting for a chance to spam for Sludgehammer.

Seriously though, that sort of thing is going to become critical, as the Ogallala aquifer gets drawn down faster than it can recover.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #47
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
lol! Silly schmutz.
What do I have to do with anything? I will not endorse your product.
Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #48
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Schmutz:full of questions and no answers.

I
don't have a product. I was answering a dumb question.
:p

And please, do not try and endorse that for anyone!! You may refer to the link but don't talk. And every time you do you owe me 10 dollars.

Yes, Bruce...there are lots of reservoirs even in the united states that experience trouble, and only get worse every year. Water shortages are not uncommon...
Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #49
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
Why recycle something nature can renew? Can you even recycle water? I need some explanation here.
You're shitting me? You don't even know the basics? I thought you liked all those educational tv programs.

How does nature "renew" water? What do you think happens to the water that goes down your drain? There is not an infinite amount of water sat up in the sky waiting to fall to earth, or buried underground waiting to be pumped up. Oh, you know what, here: http://www.kidzone.ws/WATER/ Water is finite. it follows a cycle and is used time and time again. Therefore it is recycled, right? Now, do you put all your waste in the back yard for the liquid to evaporate? No you sent it somewhere else to be cleaned and release back into the cycle. Recycling. Water is not a "renewable" resource in the sense that paper is. You don't just grow more. it is recyclable. It's the best example of recycling around. When nature does it. But modern human water use dirties/contaminates it, requiring cleaning that is not as "green" as not dirtying it in the first place.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #50
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
Don't feed the troll Cloud.

I don't believe you just said that! For so many reasons i'm not going to bother listing them.

research is your friend. in sooo many situations.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #51
Cicero

Wow.
Look who's silly now. I was answering Dingle when it was Drax who said that...

Hey guess what?!?Screw today! I am going to have an early Heineken.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #52
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post

I don't believe you just said that! For so many reasons i'm not going to bother listing them.

research is your friend. in sooo many situations.
It's ok, it's the first time I've ever been called a troll.
Attached Images

Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #53
Drax
Banned

Well see, I'm a bit surprised that here of all places, a thread that I started actually produced some serious conversation, and I just wanna keep it that way.

BTW, Dingle, cute pic.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #54
euphoriatheory
Sealed for your protection.

Location: New Hampshire. (It's a real state. It's north of Boston.)
Mmm.

I think I'm probably like the vast majority of Americans... make it fast and easy, and I'm willing to do it. Buy a hybrid car? Sure! Chuck my paper products into recycling at work? Yup. Use energy efficient light bulbs that last 3,000 times as long as regulars? PLEASE! Buy the stupid little self-pump olive oil sprayer from Pampered Chef so as not to use aeresol cans? Yay!

I don't think I do as well as I could, though. I COULD recycle my trash at home, but I live in an apartment complex where there is no recycling.... so I don't. I am an environmental sinner. And it's not because I don't care. It's because I'm lazy.
euphoriatheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #55
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Yeah, I'm all for saving mother earth, but not if it infringes on my chosen lifestyle in any way.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #56
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'll be dead before it has any effect.
And I have no-one I want to pass this world onto.

But I deplore waste, and will continue to do everything I can as my conscience dictates that is the right way to live.

And my regrets to those who follow that the majority of people did not see things the same way I did.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #57
Cicero

Ok...so..
I think if each person commits to doing something a little differently each day, even if it is just buying a car that doesn't emit so much toxins, we might have a chance. Even if it is just buying energy saving light-bulbs for their house...

People don't do anything differently until they see how it effects them positively, but if they do just that one thing, it effects everyone positively.

I'm not all nazi about being green. If each person commits to something the collective will reap all those bebnefits amassed together.

I was talking to a friend on video that he brought to an event, and he tried to put me in a corner, trying to paint me with a hypocritical brush because I'm not green about everything. I had to do it back, and embarass him on his own tape because it isn't about doing everything in your life, green. (Impossible right now) It's about doing something. Anything at all.

Don't try to say someone else is a hypocrite about being green, when you are in a new pair of Nikes.

Just one thing is not too much to ask. Maybe it's just one choice to save your grocery bags to use them again....anything.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #58
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My narrative is different, I think most conservation you have to think actively about isn't going to do all that much.

Some of it may even be a well-intentioned mistake, exchanging one poison for another. You can change out all your light bulbs only to find that their mercury content will poison your fish, or whatever -- while running an inefficient furnace for another 3 years burns through more energy than all those bulbs put together.

A much greater savings could be have if we'd enact a BTU tax or something like that, because that would encourage uniform changes across the economy. More people would do the math and learn that they could buy that furnace earlier and save more money. What would be really innovative would be to exchange our income tax with a BTU tax. What say you to terrible inflation for a while, in return for no IRS? I'd take that deal.

But in the long run, the biggest gains will still be in continued innovation in all forms of energy usage. Make all furnaces, transport, and appliances more efficient, that's the biggest form of conservation of them all.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #59
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Some of it may even be a well-intentioned mistake, exchanging one poison for another.
And some of it isn't. Nay sayer.

Conservation is easy to grasp, it isn't hard. Don't buy and waste too much food or crap..That's really easy to grasp and doesn't seem to have any negative impact whatsoever.

If something is running and you aren't using it, turn it off. Easy. No negative impact.

As a corporation, buying your way out in the form of credits sucks. They already do that. Money gets shifted around and it is paid. I fail to see how it changes anything about the actual pollution and waste.

I thought we were talking about how to be green personally anyway. Keeping up with your furnace works environmentally and practically because you can also poison yourself if you don't. That is one change you can choose to make. Definitely.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #60
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
A much greater savings could be have if we'd enact a BTU tax or something like that
I like this idea a lot.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote