The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #46
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Maybe this is a good place to ask this...

I have a 1950s era Black & Decker electric hedge trimmer. What do I lubricate the blades with...should I have to lubricate the blades?

It sounds like it's binding, but could that be something like when an electric starter goes bad on a car and fails to make good contact? Could binding blades cause the electric bits to do that...could it hurt them permanently?

I just used the thing one time, and it started making an occasional high-pitched noise near the end, like when an electric hair trimmer binds up.
The scissoring blades are not the only moving parts that can make that awful sound. For the blades, just some motor oil will be fine. Be generous, but not so much that it sprays everywhere. And the oil will be a dust magnet too so be aware and clean it. Your goal will to have the surfaces smooth so they glide over each other without binding. A rusty surface will hold more oil, and more dirt and crap, until it's shined up through use. Then a very light coating of oil will be sufficient to keep it going well, and be a much smaller crud magnet.

As to the other parts that might be making the noise and need attention, the commutator brushes on the motor might need some lube / replacement. Also the motor bearings might need some tlc too. If you've cleaned up the blades, and you know it, and it still screeches and groans while running in the air, I would look to the motor parts.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #47
Thesilkmeister
Redheads do it better...

Everyone seems to be in agreement that paying good $ for power tools is the way to go - DeWalt is my personal fave.

i also don't like to skimp on nice dress shoes or T.V.'s and computers.

Had a few shitbox t.v.'s and pc's that have died in the arse on me as i have tried to save a few bucks.

Dress shoes - don't get me started. I ended up biting the bullet and paying AUD 300 bucks to get a pair of Batsanis dress shoes for my wedding and have been happily wearing them every day to work for at least a year with no trouble. Prior to that I would spend 200 on a shite brand and have to get a new pair every 5-7 months
Thesilkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #48
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
You must do a lot of screwing Zippy.
Not as Much as I would like to be doing

Now as to chain saws , Haskys are a FINE choice , good saws ,
I have an ECHO
Great saw , and as to chains , well NOTHING beats a new chain , but it ain't that hard to sharpen one , you just have to treat it like a knife , shape it then sharpen it .
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #49
Weird Harold
Vice-President of Resentment

I only buy Milwaukee, or Bosh for work. Porter Cable used to be a good tool company, I have a Porter Cable screw gun. Word is they have moved to Mexico, and are making tools as reliable as DeWalt. I have a Black and Decker sander, and a 1/2 inch drill from them. I use them once, or twice a year, and for that they are fine.

My chainsaw is a Craftman. again once, or twice a year. If money was no object I would buy a Sthill.

Speaking of chainsaws, my dad worked for the Mall Tool Company in Chicago. According to dad, the company was started by a guy who parachuted in to Germany, during WWI, or WWII, I don't remember, and stole a chain saw. It was an over head valve engine, and weighed a fraction of what we were using back then.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #50
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Great saw , and as to chains , well NOTHING beats a new chain , but it ain't that hard to sharpen one , you just have to treat it like a knife , shape it then sharpen it .
Exactly right. If you go to a real saw store, they'll teach you how to do the job properly. Saws are a lot safer if they're set up right.