The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-15-2002, 10:07 AM   #46
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar

Coffee came from Europe, the best coffee still does.
Oh? Exactly which part of Europe does coffee come from?
Read your history. The Europeans found out about coffee from the Arabs, who had been drinking it for centuries.Talk about "cultural imperialism..."

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:37 AM   #47
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

Oh? Exactly which part of Europe does coffee come from?
Read your history. The Europeans found out about coffee from the Arabs, who had been drinking it for centuries.Talk about "cultural imperialism..."
See?? SEE!?!? If you drink coffee, the terrorists have already won!
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:21 AM   #48
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
The Akammie Store in King of Prussia (proper local Fluffya pronunciation; three full syllables and may be nearly indistinguishable from the name of the famous content aggregator Akamai. The "store" may not be omitted) made space for a "Starbucks" too...even though there's a real Starbucks (that used to be an Arby's) in KoP up the road a block or two.
Well, it's probably the closest South Philly will get to a real Starbucks. The closest we have to real Starbucks up here is the Acme in Bensalem, and the B&N at Oxford Valley. But if they're putting a Krispy Kreme in on Cottman, I have hope that Starbucks will slip a store in along Bustleton.

Are you referring to the Starbucks shop on DeKalb Pike (north of Valley Forge Center, right)? I sat at that one for about 2 hours one day. I had an interview out there with my previous employer, and they had discussed bringing me back in later that day for a second one. Rather than go all the way back home, I sat around at Starbucks for a few hours, drove around Norristown and Bridgeport, then down to Paoli. They decided to bring me back the next day...bastards.

Quote:
When will the Akammie Store Starbucks have WiFi? Not in our lifetime. :-)
You got me on that one.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:37 AM   #49
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Coffee is of African origin and the Arabs were the first to roast and brew it. So its you coffee drinkers that need to walk to your nearest TIPS informant and turn yourselves in for un-American activities.
The Philadelphia FBI field office can be reached at (215) 418-4000.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:57 PM   #50
jaguar
whig

Pardon me maggie, how about coffee as we know it instead. Arabic coffee is a very different beast. Turkish is nice. Once in a blue moon. If you cannot see a difference between that and starbucks in terms of cultural imperialism.........
Old 09-15-2002, 05:22 PM   #51
MaggieL

Quote:
Pardon me maggie, how about coffee as we know it instead.
"Europeans invented coffee"="Europeans invented coffee as we know it" is a bit of a strech, but let it pass. Of course, Europeans also invented arabic numerals..."as we know them". :-)

Old 09-15-2002, 05:23 PM   #52
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Syc, you commie pinko!

you live in Lower Bucks or upper NE? I was just there for two whole days and you didn't even say hi!

You can't be my friend anymore.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:05 PM   #53
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
Syc, you commie pinko!

you live in Lower Bucks or upper NE? I was just there for two whole days and you didn't even say hi!

You can't be my friend anymore.
Torresdale/Morrell Park...near Frankford-Torresdale Hospital.

Sorry Brian...I was in the house most of the weekend...didn't see any motorcycle guys in leather riding around the few times I was out.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:01 PM   #54
jaguar
whig

No maggie, they didn't. Arabic coffee and european coffee are very different. Arabic numerals have not changed much at all.

Last edited by jaguar; 09-15-2002 at 11:04 PM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:33 PM   #55
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
I'm basing my opinion of the opinion of over 60 or so people that toured all over the US, and that is just one example.
You haven't shown that Starbucks has done anything wrong, you've just shown that different people in different countries have different tastes.

I happen to think American beer tastes like watered-down piss. I think it's hilarious to watch all of our beer commercials, and each one pretends like it's actually any different than the others. They all suck ass.. give me a good import beer any day; something with a little gravitas.

However, most of my fellow countrymen must disagree with me, because American beers happen to be very popular over here. You could even say there's an American beer culture.. going to the local bar on a Monday night to drink Bud Light and watch football, etc. I bet I could go to any of those places and find 60 people who drink nothing but American beer because they think imported beer is disgusting.

Now, there is a local pub here that doesn't serve American beer, period. Not even microbrews. They flat out refuse, because they share my feelings on the subject. Are they arrogant for serving only imported beer in a market that overwhelmingly prefers domestic fare? Of course not.. they're offering something a little different to those who happen to appreciate such a thing.

Most people here would never go into the place, but who gives a rat's ass? All of the places can coexist, serving their own markets.

And don't try to give some blanket dismissal of the comparison by saying "well, they're not some big corporation." That's not the point.. not the whole point, anyway. You're trying to say that Starbuck's is arrogant for opening into foreign markets where the locals in their little microcosm simply are above and beyond such slop. Well, you admit yourself, they're probably there to stay, so obviously there are enough people who disagree.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:39 PM   #56
Tobiasly
hot

By the way, would this have anything to do with why you're jittery about Starbuck's?
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:41 AM   #57
MaggieL

Quote:
No maggie, they didn't. Arabic coffee and european coffee are very different. Arabic numerals have not changed much at all.
They've both changed enough that they're identifiably different, yet both still work the same basic way. The glyphs are noticably different (especially 2, 3, 4 , 5 and 8), and the further back you go in time the more different they are, even before we get into differences in writing direction, and changes that happened to the glyphs of the original Indian system as it passed though Arab hands to the West.

The underlying principle of radix-10 positional representation is indeed constant, as is "brewing coffee beans in water to make a beverage".

Are you actually saying the differences between the coffees are somehow "more different" than the differences between arabic numerals as used in Arabic and as they are used in English and in Europe? We're way beyond "apples and oranges" here. Drink some coffee or something.

Old 09-16-2002, 01:10 AM   #58
jaguar
whig

The 60 peopkle was the largest anecdotal saple i could find. Oddly enough i haven't funded a nationwide survey of the happiness with american coffee amounst visitors from Australia. Thus i ahve to stick with anecdotals. I've never heard anyone say anything but crap, and thus i have no reason to beleive otherwise. I've stated why i think its arrogant, i'm not going to repeat myself.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:48 AM   #59
dave

COFFEE! YOU IDIOTS ARE ARGUING ABOUT <b>COFFEE!</b>

It <b>ALL</b> sucks.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:05 AM   #60
Nic Name
retired

Quote:
Man Beheads Daughter Thinking She Was Raped

Mon Sep 9, 8:37 AM ET

TEHRAN (Reuters) - An Iranian man cut off his seven- year-old daughter's head after suspecting she had been raped by her uncle, the Jomhuri-ye Eslami newspaper said on Sunday.

A post-mortem, however, showed the girl was still a virgin.

"The motive behind the killing was to defend my honor, fame, and dignity," the paper quoted the father as saying.

Rape often goes unreported in Iran where the conservative society sees it as bringing shame on the victim and family.

Local people have called for the man, who has been arrested, to be hanged, but under Iran's Islamic law only the father of the victim has the right to demand the death sentence.

The paper said the father, named as Khazir, has three wives.
That was the last post in this thread on topic, I think.

I suppose this thread may demonstrate why juries sometimes deliberate for weeks. All it takes is for some idiot to start debating what coffee tastes best and which brand exemplifies cultural imperialism.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote