The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #46
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post

*that Ibram self-defines as 'girl' is fine by me; that he believes any one else is obligated to address him as a girl (for no other reason than because he wants it that way) is absurd.

Just a note on this statement.

It's rather contradictory. If you think it's fine that Ibram defines as a girl, then I don't see where there's any absurdity in recognising her wishes, ie what difference does it make to you, and if there's none, then why not simply do as a person asks instead of making it an issue?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #47
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R. Sellers View Post
I musta missed this one B4, but since it 's been brought to my attention (thanks Ali. ), tell me Mr. Hanky, what exactly is the cost to you? Cuz I see no logical way this can affect your state of being.

Never said you should.

Yabbut you're a sick twisted fuck, right? Who are you again? Oh yeah, our newest pillar.

Too soon?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #48
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

So, Infi. I take it you agree with Henry's assertions regarding Ib's self definition then?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #49
infinite monkey

I agree with henry's assertion about ibs calling jbk a sick twisted fuck. How can you take anything else from my post?

And so, in the spirit of the day, I took the moment to communicate my increasing intolerance for drax and his new moral high ground, albeit with what must be supposed to be amusing name play like Mr Hanky.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #50
DanaC

I didn't take it from your post so much as the fact you seemed to be jumping on John for attempting to supprt Ibs.

Clearly I misread your intent :p
Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #51
DanaC

You do seem to be almost pleased to see Ibs 'get some' though. Again maybe I am misreading the situation. But I think in another context you'd probably be appalled by what henry is saying in much of this thread.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #52
infinite monkey

I don't care for john yet. Perhaps the new and improved one will grow on me.

As to ibs, I really don't know. This is new subject matter for me. This is why I stated earlier that understanding would better come from explanation and discussion rather than reaction and name-calling. I get a bit turned away when someone scolds me like I'm a child for not making the conscious decision to start calling someone I've known as a 'he' for years a 'she.' I might be confused and trying to understand, but admonishing me for not getting immediately with the program isn't going to turn my head.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #53
DanaC

Oh I get that. I do. And I agree with a lot of posters that Ibs needs to grow a thicker skin and be less preachy. But...

Giving Klyde a free pass when he is throwing the word 'homo' into every other post and generally conducting an anti-homosexual crusade in the cellar doesn't seem a good response to me. I'm not suggesting we all round on Klyde. But if he keeps pricking at Ibs and Ibs pricks back, maybe we dont all leap on Ibs in response.

Nor do I think it's fair to all wade in if another poster decides he's going to tear into Ib's sense of self in such a crass and demeaning manner as this thread.

That's as much as I am going to say about this now. I find it all really grim.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #54
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Ibs doesn't need to grow a thicker skin, he seems to be getting all the attention he wants with his current M.O.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #55
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
all you cunts who refuse to take the time and add one little letter to your pronouns are ONLY doing it to be unpleasant little bitches and get a rise out of me. it tends to work. congrats.
I'm going to tell you right now, I have accidentally given you the wrong pronoun in the recent past and will almost certainly do so in the future, though I am trying not to.

Ask yourself this: why do you feel the need to live as "Erica" in the real world now? Why not keep using your old boy name? It's because names matter. They are part of our identity, the most fundamental indicator of our identity, more important than anatomy or behavior. You have chosen to change your identity in real life, and correspondingly change your name in real life. You have chosen to change your identity online... yet keep your old name online... then get pissed when people can't remember? It's not like your username is Starcatcher or some androgynous bullshit. Ibram is a real name, and a culturally male one. How come you don't just expect your real life friends to remember that J***** is now a girl's name?

Register under Ibica. Or whatever you want. You need a new signifier for your new identity. Do it today. Please.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #56
Ibby
erika

As far as I know Ibram isn't a real name. And there's a big difference between people accidentally doing it and people making the choice not to. They and I know when that is. When i said "all you cunts who refuse" i don't mean the ones who aren't making the CHOICE to refuse.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #57
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
As to ibs, I really don't know. This is new subject matter for me. This is why I stated earlier that understanding would better come from explanation and discussion rather than reaction and name-calling. I get a bit turned away when someone scolds me like I'm a child for not making the conscious decision to start calling someone I've known as a 'he' for years a 'she.' I might be confused and trying to understand, but admonishing me for not getting immediately with the program isn't going to turn my head.
Get OUT of my head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Ibs doesn't need to grow a thicker skin, he seems to be getting all the attention he wants with his current M.O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Register under Ibica. Or whatever you want. You need a new signifier for your new identity. Do it today. Please.
Good ... VERY good.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #58
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
You do seem to be almost pleased to see Ibs 'get some' though. Again maybe I am misreading the situation. But I think in another context you'd probably be appalled by what henry is saying in much of this thread.
I expect it's much the same as the pleasure I perceive some to feel when they get to point out others' moral ineptitude.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #59
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
<snip>
Nor do I think it's fair to all wade in if another poster decides he's going to
tear into Ib's sense of self in such a crass and demeaning manner as this thread.

That's as much as I am going to say about this now.I find it all really grim.
I agree completely.

This thread should have been closed at Posts #2 and 3
It wasn't, so Henry Quick wins my award as "Troll of 2012".
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #60
infinite monkey

So sayeth...