The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #46
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry dude, don't let it eat you up. You'll figure it out.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #47
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Not joking - consider buying a used camper (they can go really cheap) and move into a state park or other campgrounds. Rates are discounted during the winter. In fact, the Army Corps of Engineers hires campground hosts. Many campgrounds have wifi.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #48
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's not that bad yet. I just have to work at it and the time to actually call places is not nigh. I'm aiming for a Nov. 1 move-in date but it's strange -- with the short sale, I don't have to leave the house until the bank actually decides to accept it. This averages three months and so I could play chicken and wait until Dec. 1 to get out. But with limited choices overall, with a dog, with a turtle, with bad credit but a good co-signer, it gets scary.

I'm getting really good at searches though, and I've worked out a few ways to tell which Craigslist entries are scammers. (they take actual realtor listings for the pictures and addresses, and then try to get you to wire them deposit money)

What's also scary is all the shit in my crawl space which I have to throw away somehow. Wow, I probably have to contract for a dumpster to get that done. Shit.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #49
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I wish I could do something tangible to help you.
I feel your anxiety Toad. Hugs.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #50
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
What's also scary is all the shit in my crawl space which I have to throw away somehow. Wow, I probably have to contract for a dumpster to get that done. Shit.
Freecycle it.

Mentally ill people will take it and hoard it. Whatever it is.

Just depends on what your time is worth, dealing with them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #51
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Freecycle is awesome, and sad, but awesome.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #52
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's mostly dead weight. Huge computer monitor from 1999. My old waterbed. Paperwork from pre-2003. Water-damaged VHS tapes. Christmas decorations that two women abandoned. That sort of thing.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #53
monster
I hear them call the tide

people will take it
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #54
monster
I hear them call the tide

especially if you put it on the curb with a sign that says "not free, please do not take, waiting for pick-up"
Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #55
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
It's mostly dead weight. Huge computer monitor from 1999. My old waterbed. Paperwork from pre-2003. Water-damaged VHS tapes. Christmas decorations that two women abandoned. That sort of thing.
People will take everything except your paperwork. Maybe even that too, but you probably don't want mentally ill people to have it. A free waterbed? You're not thinking like a hoarder; you will have a dozen people bidding over who can come pick it up the soonest.

I gave away giant piles of rotted fencing and broken rocks. One old lady talked about how she was going to "build a doghouse" out of the fencing, and another was going to "make a path" in her garden. It was fucking construction debris!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #56
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's only the frame of the waterbed
Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #57
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Right, so you just line it with heavy duty trashbags and fill it with water. The water will conform to bed shape. You'll have to sleep sitting up. And sandbags, you might want those.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #58
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
People will take everything except your paperwork.
Just burn the paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Right, so you just line it with heavy duty trashbags and fill it with water. The water will conform to bed shape. You'll have to sleep sitting up. And sandbags, you might want those.
Styrofoam peanuts!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #59
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
... But with limited choices overall, with a dog, with a turtle, with bad credit but a good co-signer, it gets scary.

I'm getting really good at searches though, and I've worked out a few ways to tell which Craigslist entries are scammers. (they take actual realtor listings for the pictures and addresses, and then try to get you to wire them deposit money)
Have you looked at trailer parks? DO you qualify for section 8 housing?

Quote:
We just moved Mom out of her house and had to do the same thing, but is was 2 households of "stuff" accumulated over 60 years. There was a house in the area that always had something on the front lawn with a handmade "for sale" sign on it. Mom knocked on their door and told them they could have anything they wanted from her house, for free, if they took it all. They took it all.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #60
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Styrofoam peanuts + H20 + sand + sunlight ===> NEW life on earth
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote