The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-17-2005, 10:23 PM   #46
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you're willing to take the risk of dying if you fall off the wagon (or use certain brands of aftershave or mouthwash), ask your MD about Antabuse.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #47
busterb
NSABFD

Wolf. Tnxs for words about my garden. the above post was made kinda tongue in cheek I tried the meds before. They just give you 14 days to dream up ingenious ways to really get on a good drunk After you stop taking them.
Attached Images

Last edited by busterb; 05-18-2005 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #48
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Once again, busterb, you've hit the nail on the freakin' head.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #49
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Good stuff, busterb. The economy of scale works against us if we can't stop until it's all gone. And the words in the image above ring true.

We would do the same thing over and over, hoping for a different outcome. Now that we've changed, we can have a different outcome.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #50
busterb
NSABFD

Stolen from a Chuck Logan book. "Heard a counselor decribe alcoholism as a progressive diease, implying that just because you stopped putting alcohol in your mouth, it didn't mean the condition was cured. It continued to grow inside like an invisible vampire. Take a drink after ten years, and the vampire sitting on your chest was ten years older and stronger than the last time you saw him,"
Old 05-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #51
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Back from the horror that is our court system. Treatment in lieu of conviction. Lots of shit to go thru but if I do it all felony will be wiped off record. Yay.

My stupid computer has a virus so at library now...standing up and trying to type that way. Keyboard sticks, too.

Hang in there, busterb. and thanks to everyone for the good wishes.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #52
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm happy it turned out ok for you, Brianna. Let us know how the treatment program's going.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #53
jaguar
whig

hey, good stuff Bri, glad to hear you won't have to leave us. Let us know if you need computer help as well.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:25 AM   #54
lookout123
changed his status to single

yayy for Brianna. glad to hear that things are looking up, if still difficult.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #55
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Thanks, all!

jag--nasty spyware stuff and I downloaded spyware protection from AOL (remember, I am very computer illiterate-) but seems too little, too late. All these infernal pop ups keep me from signing on because my computer freezes...I don't get anywhere. Do I have to pay 200.00 for the Geek Squad to come out?

BTW--I start IOP soon at a place called

—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 05-24-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #56
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Congratulations Brianna.
Good luck on the recovery.
Glad, as well, you're not gonna leave.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #57
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

After 15 years sober, my husband started drinking again. He thinks that he is 'in a different place and state of mind' in his life. He has been sober for our entire married life. It is strange to see him drink, something I am getting used to. So far he has been able to control it/himself. We are both very level headed laid back people and sometimes I question wether he really was an 'alcoholic' at all. I mostly think he was just young, unhappy and under pressure from his father.
(His father is very controlling) It does help him relax and he is able to have more fun with our children, not be so uptight. Hopefully everything will stay on the 'strait and narrow' as it were....time will tell.

Hope all goes well for you busterb and Brianna
Old 05-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #58
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
jag--nasty spyware stuff and I downloaded spyware protection from AOL (remember, I am very computer illiterate-) but seems too little, too late. All these infernal pop ups keep me from signing on because my computer freezes...I don't get anywhere. Do I have to pay 200.00 for the Geek Squad to come out?
Hey Girlfriend, This is what you need to get rid of them nasties:

Ad-Aware
Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP

Free Download for personal edition. Works great.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #59
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjulie
After 15 years sober, my husband started drinking again. He thinks that he is 'in a different place and state of mind' in his life. He has been sober for our entire married life. It is strange to see him drink, something I am getting used to. So far he has been able to control it/himself. We are both very level headed laid back people and sometimes I question wether he really was an 'alcoholic' at all. I mostly think he was just young, unhappy and under pressure from his father.
(His father is very controlling) It does help him relax and he is able to have more fun with our children, not be so uptight. Hopefully everything will stay on the 'strait and narrow' as it were....time will tell.

Hope all goes well for you busterb and Brianna
There's no Litmus Test for Alcoholism. I believe in this part of the disease concept: once one crosses the line into Alchoholism, there is no going back, biologically. The question is whether someone has crossed the line or not.

In the AA Big Book they say "If a man can drink like a Gentleman, hat's off to him".

Through AA meetings and such, I've come to realize how many of us had very controlling and dominating same-gender parents. In my case Step 4 was a long and rewarding process of dealing with resentments rather than numbing myself to them.

"Break a Leg."
Old 05-24-2005, 03:03 AM   #60
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

I did AA for quite some time, however I was young and my inate arrogance didn't help.. I got sick of sitting around listening to people bitch about how much they wanted to drink.. the thing is I have given up pills/Marijuana/acid etc. the thing is.. alcohol.. damn that fucker! although I have a bet with a friend (we've known eachother for about 18 years) that june 1st to july 30th no alcohol.. tell you what.. it's going to suck.. I know I'm addicted no doubt about that.. but as I said I quit everything else (hell! i'm almost off of coffee! down to 3 cups a day! for me.. that's amazing)... anyway, the thing is that we all need somehting to fall back on.. when in need the problem comes when you do things for that fall back rather than the inverse (if that makes sense) anyway, sorry I have had tyhe insomnia somthing fearsome.. so my thoughts might not flow in a sensible sort of way, I apologize... anyway! Brianna good luck, busterb good luck as well.. just take it one minute at a time if need be, yeah It's hard but.. there are some things in life worth fighting for, and I promins once you get used to it, the whole world opens up in a very different way... hang on you'll see.