The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-05-2004, 09:25 PM   #46
staceyv
Lecturer

i have a thing for pens,too!
i love to go to staples and try out new pens.
i hate writing with regular ballpoints. my favorite for the last few years has been the pilot precise, but i also like the gel pens and the felt tip ones.
did i mention that i collect recipes?
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:30 PM   #47
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

zebra jimminie gels
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #48
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Sparkz
I Tapestry.
You *make* tapestries?! I'm sorry, but there's no way to define that in any way except cool. Really, how many people do this, after all?

Uniqueness is a key factor of coolness.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:55 AM   #49
wolf
lobber of scimitars

This is not said to in any way denigrate sun_sparkz's hobby, but I think that "tapestry" is Aussie for "needlepoint."

I must confess that I am a pen-a-holic.

I can't stop buying the damn things, all as part of the quest for the perfect pen.

I just got some Pilot Varsity Disposable Fountain pens. OOOOOH the sweetness of them! (three pack, one black, one blue, one purple) This, of course, occurred mere days after I resolved not to buy any more damn pens ...

The Parker Jotter is another favorite.

And the Parker Vector Fountain pen ... ahhh ... flows so sweetly. I am generally a big fan of fountain/cartridge pens and will sometimes use a dip pen for caligraphy. I've wanted to try out one of those glass pens for special occasions, but they are just too darn fragile. I know I'd set the thing down on the desk and have it crash to the floor.

I fight over new drug rep pens in the office. Particularly the big, fancy, heavy ones that are intended to be given only to physicians. I prefer a smoothly flowing, traditional ball point to a gel point, although a finepoint marker style is high on my list. The Pilot Precise Ball Pen (poor man's rapidograph) is pretty cool as well, although sometimes I write with too heavy a stroke and bend the nib on those.

Another thing that goes on with me and pens, is that once I start using one, I really MUCH prefer to use it to the bitter end, the last scratchy drops of ink. Losing a pen that still has life remaining is worse for me than losing a disposable lighter before it's ready to be thrown away.

I really better stop talking about this. I'm getting too excited.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #50
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I love writing with fountain pens, but I never bother with them because I always lose them. Even the cheapest are $6 or $7, and even that is too much to pay for something I know I'm losing. (Not to mention the fact that the ones I've tried at that price almost always clog.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:33 AM   #51
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

Origami-like tissue paper flowers, or multiple layers of tissue paper folded into a fan, with a twisty-tie in the middle to secure it (taping to a stick optional) and then folding back the tissue paper to make the flower shape? If so, I loved those, made dozens of them as a child, particularly liked doing them in gradient shades of yellow/orange/red. If I'm thinking of the right ones ... do you cut the outer edges of the tissue paper to play with the effects?

And do you have pictures?
Neither. I take different colors and shapes of tissue paper (not kleenex, the type you shove in gift bags to cover the gifts) and put them on pipe cleaner stems. I can make what appears to be real carnations. I don't have any pictures atm, I'll see if one of my coworkers has a digi cam on her today and snap one of my desk. (I decorate my desk every month, and since I can't put "blessed Beltaine" up, I have a may pole up and "Have a prosperous May Day" with fairies, easter grass, and a bunch of my flowers on my desk.)

Edit: She has her camera with her, so I took some pictures. She's going to get them off the camera and send them to me, I'll crop and post.

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 05-06-2004 at 12:24 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #52
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

Ah, ok...I'll confess that I am an office supply geek. I could spend days in an Office Depot or Staples...*looks down, shuffles feet..*

My husband learned early on in our relationship that under no circumstances should he take me into Office Max, Office Depot, Staples or Michaels unless he is ready and willing to be there for over an hour and spend $100 or more.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:09 PM   #53
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Ahh cool pens , that i can relate to , i like the Pilot Precise Ball Pen, but as Wolf said i tend to bend the tips . I stick to the fine point ( 5mm or less) Pilot Dr Grip pens . And my wife has learned NOT to mess with my pen , i am verry easy going but get BENT if she uses my pen and doesn't put it back . To her a pen is just a pen , but to me , i search out what i like and i take care of what i get , anal i know , but the last pen i had i used untill it literly broke in half .
Old 05-07-2004, 12:18 AM   #54
Pi
desperate finder

Hey that's not only uncool, but even sick. Go aay with your pens, you scare me!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:19 AM   #55
perth
Strong Silent Type

My favourite pen in the world is the Papermate Flexgrip Ultra, medium, in blue. Yeah it's ballpoint, but the ink flows fairly smoothly, and I like the roughness of the line anyways. Part of what I like about writing is the tactile feel of pen on paper, and I don't get that as much with pens that move smoothly. Besides, those pens are more expensive, and I've never had a single pen survive long enough to run out of ink anyways. I have one nice pen (in this case, "nice pen" means one that cost more than 5 bucks) but never use it because i feel guilty biting on the cap.

The fact that I took the time to type out all the above? Another reason why I'm not cool.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:34 AM   #56
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i caught a scary glimpse into a former salesmans brief case one day. You know how brief cases have two or three folder sized pockets inside the lid? Well, scott had three rows of pens in all different styles and colors lined up from one side to the other. He must carry 75- 100 pens with him in his brief case. Now THAT's uncool.

Perth, that's about as lame a pen as you could pick. GO get yourself a nice cross ballpoint.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:37 AM   #57
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Cross pens write like shit and they are too thin to be comfortable enough for long writing sessions.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 05-07-2004, 12:40 AM   #58
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

maybe in your big sausage fingers.

ok, wolf, we win the dork award for arguing about wich pens are coolest.

good going
Old 05-07-2004, 12:40 AM   #59
wolf
lobber of scimitars

These are pretty good. (Pilot P-500)

Old 05-07-2004, 12:42 AM   #60
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
... He must carry 75- 100 pens with him in his brief case. Now THAT's uncool.
No, that's obsessive compulsive.

The guy needs a life. Majorly.

If he ever leaves the briefcase unattended in your office ... rearrange the pens. Only move about five of them. If he freaks out and/or has to put the pens back into the magic order, he's definitely a nutter.