The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #46
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigliadore
For the record the only reason I have used the above method is because my vet doesn't let me be with the animal while it passes. I don't know why, he just doesn't.
I've never heard such a thing--no legitimate vet would EVER deny you that. If your vet doesn't want you to be with your pet when it is euthanized, they are doing something that they don't want you to see. I would be very suspicious of that, and if I were you, I'd find a new vet.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:14 PM   #47
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
I don't agree that anyone should try to "euthanize" an animal at home, whether it's free or not. A trip to the local vet and $20 (or whatever) isn't a lot to ask, in my opinion.
i don't know what the cost is for a hamster but i know that for a 40lb dog i paid well over $250.
even if it is $20... it was a $4 hamster. try to make it comfortable, but come on.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:15 PM   #48
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

I would but there is only one in the county that knows anything about Guinea Pigs. Before I found this vet I took my pigs to my dog and cat vet. He gave a sick pig of mine Penicillin and it died within a few hours. I did some research (I looked in my veterinary drug handbook) and turns out Guinea pigs are deathly allergic to anything the the penicillin family. I would rather have a vet that knows his stuff and prescribes the right medicine on the rare occasion I need it, then one who just tries things without knowing the effects. I really wish it was different but I am not willing to let my pets be Guinea Pigs (pardon the expression) for a vet who doesn't know what he is doing. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils and thats what I did in this case.

Don't even ask me the story about one of the other vets in the area who refused to put a sick old rabbit down and instead made the owner take it home so it could suffer another week. Now that guy is a horrible vet in my book.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:28 PM   #49
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i don't know what the cost is for a hamster but i know that for a 40lb dog i paid well over $250.
even if it is $20... it was a $4 hamster. try to make it comfortable, but come on.
Holy crap! $250! I had no idea it was that expensive. We have an old cat that's gonna need it soon. I better start looking into this so I don't get ripped off like that. That's highway robbery.

The home euthanization technique posted earlier was just for rats, hamsters etc. I wonder if there's a way to do cats?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:34 PM   #50
garnet

Quote:
You paid $250 to have 40 lb. dog put to sleep? You got ripped off.

A few months agoI had to take my very old, sick cat in to the emergency vet to be put down. It was on weekend and in the evening. Even at the emergency vet (which are notorious for ripping people off) it cost me less than $100.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #51
garnet

Quote:
I would but there is only one in the county that knows anything about Guinea Pigs. Before I found this vet I took my pigs to my dog and cat vet. He gave a sick pig of mine Penicillin and it died within a few hours. I did some research (I looked in my veterinary drug handbook) and turns out Guinea pigs are deathly allergic to anything the the penicillin family. I would rather have a vet that knows his stuff and prescribes the right medicine on the rare occasion I need it, then one who just tries things without knowing the effects. I really wish it was different but I am not willing to let my pets be Guinea Pigs (pardon the expression) for a vet who doesn't know what he is doing. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils and thats what I did in this case.

Don't even ask me the story about one of the other vets in the area who refused to put a sick old rabbit down and instead made the owner take it home so it could suffer another week. Now that guy is a horrible vet in my book.
Again, just my advice--I've had animals my whole life, many of whom eventually had to be put to sleep. I've NEVER had a vet refuse to let me be with my pet when they were being euthanized--in fact, they usually encouraged me to be with them. It sounds like your vet knows guinea pigs, and it's important to have and expert with these types of animals. But I really wouldn't trust him if you know you have to have one euthanized. I hate to say it, but I'll bet you anything he's not using a lethal injection to put them down in order to save money, while still charging you the full price. It just doesn't make sense.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:04 PM   #52
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
The home euthanization technique posted earlier was just for rats, hamsters etc. I wonder if there's a way to do cats?
Yeah, take it down to your local humane society. They will usually do it for $20 or $30. Call them first to find out about what time they do it each day so your cat doesn't sit in a kennel all day scared shit less because the dogs don't stop barking.

Last edited by Brigliadore; 08-18-2004 at 05:06 PM. Reason: stupid typos
Brigliadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #53
lookout123

Quote:
Holy crap! $250! I had no idea it was that expensive. We have an old cat that's gonna need it soon. I better start looking into this so I don't get ripped off like that. That's highway robbery.

i checked it out and that was actually a fairly decent price. that does include disposal of the body though. they don't exactly let you walk out of there with your dead pet. i couldn't have done it anyway, i was too heartbroken - the best damn dog i ever had. and on that note does anyone want this EFFING boxer my wife got me to replace him?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #54
garnet

Quote:
i checked it out and that was actually a fairly decent price. that does include disposal of the body though. they don't exactly let you walk out of there with your dead pet.
I left with my cat and buried her in the back yard--I've done that with almost every animal. Granted, it is more difficult with a larger animal, but they can't force you to use their disposal service.

Having them do the burial or cremation is where they get you--they know you're upset, and will try to talk you into stuff. A vet once tried to sell me a burial plot for $900--no way. I love my animals, but that's just waste of money.

Last edited by garnet; 08-18-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:23 PM   #55
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
I hate to say it, but I'll bet you anything he's not using a lethal injection to put them down in order to save money, while still charging you the full price. It just doesn't make sense.
Your probably right but lucky for me they don't get sick on me very often, and since the vet told me about the CO2 thing the last few that did need to be put down were done that way. They seemed to travel to the other side in peace (at least it appeared that way and thats what I am hoping on), and they certainly seem calmer as they don't have the car ride and the barking dogs, etc a few min. before they pass. I am not saying someone should use the chamber in lue of Vet care, but if you simply are not going to take it to the vet at least put it down humanely (and whacking it on the kitchen counter or floor is not humanely). I would rather people have decent options then just letting it suffer or putting it down in a way that might be painful.

Quote:
that does include disposal of the body though. they don't exactly let you walk out of there with your dead pet.
It might have been that your states has a law against burying your pet. In some states when a vet, animal control officer or humane society worker puts your pet down they cant legally give you the body back because you will just go bury it in your yard. I volunteered at a vet office when I lived in CA and it was really hard sometimes to be in the room with these people while the vet told them they couldn't take the body home. She was bound by law so couldn't do it. I don't think Utah has that law as one day at the horse vet I watched them load a dead horse back into the owners trailer as she wanted to take it home to bury it. I didn't want to know how she was A: going to dig a hole big enough and B: get that horse back out of the trailer.

Last edited by Brigliadore; 08-18-2004 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Brigliadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:25 PM   #56
lookout123

I've never lived in VA so i don't know how it is there.

they didn't jam me into their own disposal service. they simply asked what i planned to do with the body and i told them i had no plans, they put me in touch with several different places and their price was the best. it was just a simple cremation, no cheesy plot or memorial service. burying animals in the yard isn't exactly an option here.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #57
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

In CA they do let you take the ashes home. The problem was they did the cremation off site and the cheap places usually did several animals at a time. We gave people the option of sending the body to a crematory of their choice but sadly if they chose the cheap one they often got part of fluffy and scamp along with their precious scooter. I don't know why California has a law about burying an animal (I think it was claimed to be a sanitation issue or something) but they do. Its kinda sad that people can only take home ashes because some people really wanted to bury the dog under its favorite tree. Ashes just aren't quite the same.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:58 PM   #58
garnet

Quote:
Its kinda sad that people can only take home ashes because some people really wanted to bury the dog under its favorite tree. Ashes just aren't quite the same.
I agree--I have ashes from one of my kitties, and I was never really sure if it was actually HIS ashes. I know it doesn't really matter in the long run--the animal is gone either way. It just kind of messes with the sense of closure, if that makes sense.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:44 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Paint an American flag on it and mail it to Iraq.
I've a feeling the price a vet would charge would be dependent on whether you were a regular or dropped in from nowhere. Certainly a syringe of the blue juice isn't that expensive. I've seen a vet come out to the car and do it for a large dog.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:06 PM   #60
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Garnet - yes, I think snapping an animal's neck, as you so poetically put it, is more humane than letting an animal suffer. I wouldn't do it myself because of the "ick factor". I could probably stitch up my kids' cuts when they get hurt, but I'm not going to. Dead is dead, and unless you're torturing an animal, I don't see any reason to wait for a more clinical death if other options are available in the present.

FWIW, I have worked closely with our local humane society, and I have taken calls from people who wanted to have a sick or injured animal put down. I know that here it takes several days to get help with anything. The staff is entirely made up of volunteers, and none of them are vets. I have taken calls on Friday and found them undelivered on Monday. We have one 24 hour emergency pet clinic and they normally won't even answer the phone - you have to drive there and see if anyone's around.

I have a feeling I'm getting into more than I should, discussing animal issues with a PETA employee.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote