The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #46
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

There's a man named Gardiner who came up with a theory about different kinds of intelligence. According to him, there's 7 or possibly 8 different kinds of intelligence.
When you consider that, it leaves room for everyone to find something they're good at...and when that happens, there's going to be other people who aren't so good at the particular thing you're good at. The different catagories are:

Linguistic intelligence ("word smart"):
Logical-mathematical intelligence ("number/reasoning smart")
Spatial intelligence ("picture smart")
Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence ("body smart")
Musical intelligence ("music smart")
Interpersonal intelligence ("people smart")
Intrapersonal intelligence ("self smart")
Naturalist intelligence ("nature smart")

...I'm funny smart
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #47
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim

...I'm funny smart

That's funny so it must be true.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #48
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I thought I understood intelligence when I was 22. I went to a college with a top 20 football team and became good friends with a defensive lineman that I wasn't sure belonged in college. He had a very difficult time passing his classes even though he studied very hard - I tried to help but had trouble getting even basic ideas to root.

But, start the projector and put on some game film, and he turned into Einstein. Eleven on eleven and he understood what would happen even before the coaching staff. He knew exactly what the QB was going to do even before the defensive coordinator. He went on to the NFL and had a short but successful career playing for the Seattle Seahawks. He got double teamed a lot not because he was a better athlete than his counterpart on the OL but because his football instincts were so good.

Now, had he not been 6'4" and 265 pounds and had he never gotten the chance to play HS football leading to his scholarship and a brief but prolific NFL career, would anyone have known he was smart?

THIS GUY!?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakdivers
Zippy - I am going to have to disagree with you here. Skill has nothing to do with intelligence (however intelligent people are usually skilled).
I've known a ton of highly intelligent people that could barely tie their own shoe laces. They could expound theory and principles until the cows came home, but they had no skills, whatsoever.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #50
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I think the answer depends on who you surround yourself with.

Hang out with people at a university, and you're likely to feel dumb once in a while. Hang out at a prison, and you will feel a bit smarter.

I've felt both smart and dumb at various times.

I think the key is to surround yourself with people a little smarter than yourself so you feel chanllanged to be the best you can be, but not with people who are so smart you get discouraged.
I go thru that sort of thing a lot at different jobs. I often choose the most challenging situation. But, now I am a contractor at an all-star company full of brilliant and arrogant people that are often nasty to each other. I took this week off and I am not going back. I will write an email as such.

I interviewed at three companies this week. I had particularly good chemistry with one group and they plan to make me an offer early next week. Two of the guys worked with two guys I currently work with. In the interview we agreed not to talk about the other two at the arrogant company and that in itself was telling.

In the interview, talking at the whiteboard, we developed mutual respect. I'd like to work at a place where people are smart and demanding, but nice about it.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

RS, I didn't think you were still contracting. Didn't you get fired and then hired as the new boss of the guy that fired you?
Old 06-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #52
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
Is there an empathy smart?
A guy? named Goleman pimped the idea of emotional intelligence with 5 areas.

Self-Awareness
Mood Management
Motivation
Empathy
Social Skills

These are the things your anti-social kids have deficits in.

I think Gardner was on to something. I know a guy who can carry grade (for drainage) never leaving the seat of the excavator. I'd be screwing around with water levels and such to get information that he just has.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #53
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
THIS GUY!?
Noooooooo. I went to Georgia Tech. Besides, Boz was a linebacker. Not a bad guess, tho - probably as good as an example as my buddy of the point I was making.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #54
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
RS, I didn't think you were still contracting. Didn't you get fired and then hired as the new boss of the guy that fired you?
My story at this company is strange. While I was contracting, I was considered for an individual contributor position and a project director with managers reporting to me. At some point we agreed to drop the director position and they continued looking for a VP of Engineering. Then, the one manager fired me and another manager wanted me to work for his team, so I did a lateral move.

Now that the product is launched and has been running for six weeks, the revenue is much lower than expected. Part of the criteria for creating a new perm position for me is this revenue. I don't think it will happen. And, I think the business has certain flaws. So, I really need to move on.

Ironically, the firing manager cited early quality problems with my software, yet after it has run and monitored the company's production servers for six weeks, no issues were reported to the tracking system. My new rule is Never work for a Manager Half Your Age, Never.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
My new rule is Never work for a Manager Half Your Age, Never.
That gets tougher every year.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #56
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Every other year.