The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 AM   #46
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
I giess I can speak from expereince on this...having lived in decades past and having been biologically a guy once, and biologically a woman now.
I may have missed a class ... but you are still biologically male, even if you are cosmetically and ideologically a female. You do not have the equipment to manufacture natural female hormones. If you were provided a screening test, you'd test as male, no matter what artificial hormones are in your system.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 PM   #47
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I didn't read all the posts so I will get back on topic if it as strayed and I'm sorry if someone already mentioned what I am going to say.

Sex is biological and gender is socialized.

You can not change the fact that a male has a penis and a female has a vagina but you can change gender roles. Some societies have the women as the dominant figure in society while others have them being completely submissive.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #48
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I may have missed a class ... but you are still biologically male, even if you are cosmetically and ideologically a female. You do not have the equipment to manufacture natural female hormones.
So, if you had an oophorectomy you would no longer be biologically female?

I'm in the same situation as a born woman post hysterectomy/oophoectomy. I suppose you could call my HRT 'mones "artificial", but they're definatey not synthetic; and it's the same Premarin millions of other women are taking. It's OK for me to take it without progesterone because cervical cancer isn't a factor.

A genotype "screening test" might show me as being XY. Or might not; It's never been done and I don't know. There's any number of other possibilities.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #49
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
You can not change the fact that a male has a penis and a female has a vagina...
Fair minds might differ on that one. I no longer have a penis and I now have a vagina. Of course, I consider myself female, so there you go.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #50
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Fair minds might differ on that one. I no longer have a penis and I now have a vagina. Of course, I consider myself female, so there you go.
Sorry, I may have used a bad example.

Here is a better one, on your 23rd chromosome it will be Y and not X.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #51
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
So, if you had an oophorectomy you would no longer be biologically female?
Perhaps not the best analogy, but if you put a Toyota engine into a Ford, does that make it a Japanese car?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #52
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
These days, probably. Thirty years ago, not so much. I like the analogy though.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #53
wolf
lobber of scimitars

XX <> XY

Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #54
MaggieL

Quote:
Perhaps not the best analogy, but if you put a Toyota engine into a Ford, does that make it a Japanese car?
You're evading my direct question by posing a bad analogy? :-)

My thoughts regarding the etiology of transsexuality are that even starting with a purely male genotype, exposure to environmental estrogens during fetal develoment can cause development of an essentially female brain. When my mom was carrying me the family lived in the shadow of the oil refineries in South Philly. Furthermore, while Mom denies it to my face, a doctor who treated her in those days told me she'd been getting hormone treatments of some kind, although he was vague about the details.

Zhou, Gooren and Swaab
have done several studies on brain sex differences in transsexuals. These are still working with sparse data since the techniques require postmortem exminations of the brain, and identifying transsexual cohorts is a tricky business.

But to follow your flawed analogy, if you started building a car from scratch from Ford blueprints but switched over to Toyota plans while building the engine, would the car run more like a Japanese car? Even if it was "Body by Fisher"? :-)

Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #55
Griff
still says videotape

How about an operating system / application analogy? As you were...
Old 12-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #56
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
How about an operating system / application analogy? As you were...
Computing operating systems and applications are designed with a single, (mostly) clean separation at the API level, so that the application and the OS can evolve independantly because of tight encapsulation.

Biological systems and subsystems don't break down that way. Having evolved together, they're more holistically interdependant.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #57
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm not avoiding the issue at all, Maggie. Perhaps I should have asked "If I remove the muffler from a Ford, does that make it a Toyota?"

You consider yourself a woman. I react and respond to you in that way as well, however, nothing in terms of social convention, artificial hormones, or surgery changes the fact that if you and I are both tested chromosonally to determine sex, mine comes back XX, yours XY, unless you have a congential abnormality of which I am not aware.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #58
MaggieL

Quote:
You consider yourself a woman. I react and respond to you in that way as well, however, nothing in terms of social convention, artificial hormones, or surgery changes the fact that if you and I are both tested chromosonally to determine sex, mine comes back XX, yours XY, unless you have a congential abnormality of which I am not aware.
Until an actual genotyping is done, genetic sex is pretty much Schrodinger's Cat. The other aspects of gender predominate. You don't actually *know* how my genotype would come back if tested any more than I do. And even genetic sex isn't binary.

You claimed that lacking "the equipment to manufacture natural female hormones" made me male...when in fact I lack the equipment to manufacture *any* natual sex hormones (ignoring the adrenal side function of manufacturing small amounts of testosterone common to both males and females), just like you would be if you were to have an oophorectomy. Assuming you actually haven't.

So now you're falling back on a genetic biological determinism...I think that's a deeply flawed view of gender.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #59
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Gender, but not sex.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #60
MaggieL

Quote:
Gender, but not sex.
True enough, were we speaking strictly ...but the terms have been used loosely and interchangably throughout this thread. The first post seemed to me to make clear that Ibram was interested in discussing the broader aspects of gender beyond just XY, XX, and the myriad variations thereof.