The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #46
mrnoodle
bent

dude, it's 9:20 on saturday morning, and there are 3 of us - flint, spexxvet, and me -- reading the cellar. we should all go outside and play catch.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #47
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Bri is here, too, I think. I'm at work and there's no doctor, so few patients.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #48
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yo
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #49
mrnoodle
bent

so you guys wanna play catch?

actually nvm i have to mow
Old 10-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #50
Griff
still says videotape

*cough* I only pitch... you can catch if you want to.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyVixen
Big snip of logical thinking~
Why would he put himself through all of that if he could take the easy way out and be with a girl?
~snip of more logical thinking
Easy way out? Have you seen the divorce rate? And they're just the ones that got tired of fighting.

No, I'm really not that cynical yet. I just couldn't resist.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #52
marichiko

Gay couples can be just as mean to each other as straights. At least they don't have to go thru all that legal BS a divorce usually involves. They should be grateful gay marriages are outlawed.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #53
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I believe that it is a matter of choice. Very few elements of human behavior are truly hardwired. It's not like animal behavior, such as a cat grooming itself with it's tongue, or chasing mice. Cats do these things even if they haven't had significant contact with other cats throughout their lives.
And just like gay "cure" programs, you could train a cat not to do either one of those things. That doesn't mean it isn't hardwired that they do it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #54
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Any number of things can make you horny, but you can't blame your proclivities on biology unless they fit into the framework of the reproductive urge.
You seem certain that individual reproduction always has overall positive survival value, and that sexual behavior has no function besides reproduction.

I have doubts about both points.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:25 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Gay couples can be just as mean to each other as straights. At least they don't have to go thru all that legal BS a divorce usually involves. They should be grateful gay marriages are outlawed.
Yes, I suggested once before the best tactic to convince the anti queer marriage people to change their mind, is put a bug in their ear about queers are getting away with not paying divorce lawyers and the subsequent crap of divorce. They aren't suffering enough, they have it easy. Doesn't have to be true, how would they know? That will create so many conflicting thoughts in the antis, they might explode.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #56
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Humans have very, very few truly 'hardwired' behaviors, and none that exist past the first 12-36 months. Babies are hardwired to suckle and you could say that putting things in their mouths is also hardwired (at that point you rely on taste and the dense nerve bundles in your mouth to tell what's what). Past that stage we operate on more complicated impulses and urges, which is why we expect 2-3 year olds to start exhibiting self control over their actions. The idea that any adult does things purely based on predetermined factors is complete nonsence and is just something made up by defence lawers that have been backed against a fence. The chronic cheater who says he can't help it because he has no way to control his urges and must indulge himself is a good poster boy for this school of thought. In the end we control not only our behavior, but also our desires.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #57
ashke
Don't look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Yes, I suggested once before the best tactic to convince the anti queer marriage people to change their mind, is put a bug in their ear about queers are getting away with not paying divorce lawyers and the subsequent crap of divorce. They aren't suffering enough, they have it easy. Doesn't have to be true, how would they know? That will create so many conflicting thoughts in the antis, they might explode.
ROFL!

Bruce, you are a funny man!
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #58
Brett's Honey
whatever

The fact that a lot of young - junior and high school age - kids, girls mostly, it seems - "experiment" with same-sex relationships for a while, and then go on to have heterosexual relationships suggest to me that it is probably a choice.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #59
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
In the end we control not only our behavior, but also our desires.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1886018,00.html
Sometimes we are not in complete control of our desires
Old 10-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'll buy that, Bullitt. But I also believe the control we exercise is directly proportional to the severity of the consequences for making a bad choice.

I think that's why were better at making good choices for things that have an immediate, or short term, effect and not so good on long range choices.
If I eat that cake Mom will kill me, is easy to resist.
If I eat that cake I won't look good in my speedo next summer, is tougher.
If I eat that cake I'll have cholesterol problems in 40 years, is very, very tough.