The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #46
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Let he, who be without sin, cast the first stone.

maybe that explains the mask?

...oops, wrong religion.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #47
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickja1
Christians try to please God by minding their own personal walk. There is no expectation unbelievers act like Christians
Okay, so it is safe to assume you are talking about people that are spiritual versus religious, correct?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #48
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickja1
We are naturally inclined toward evil.
Sorry but that's one idea I don't buy into.

I also have a problem with people telling me to read a certain passage out of the bible or the queran or some ancient holy text. That has about as much impact on me as if they said, "hey read the 3rd chapter of The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Universe and it will all be much clearer!"

As for christian intolerance, don't the jewish and muslim religions accept the fact that jesus was one of the prophets? They just don't think that he was "the one." Anyway, I know that Nemo was the one, I saw the movies!

Seems like christians used to interpret the bible and tell us that all those unbelievers were going to get torn to pieces in the end by devils from the underworld for all their sins and unrepenting, the whole hellfire and brimstone thing. All those unbelievers who perished in disasters like the tsunami? Toast. They had their chance!

Anyway, back to the image of the day... Wouldn't that be cool if someone would just Photoshop in Ken Lay's face on that of the woman? "Mr. Lay, the jury has found you guilty for all you did to wipe out all those Enron employee's life savings and you are going to finally get just what you deserve! Bend over!"
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #49
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target
This is the sort of bullshit that Makes President Bush a hero of mine. All theocrats should be whacked.

Yep I'm definintely advocating a purge of Muslim leaders worldwide.
I officially volunteer to be the one that gets to whack Bush the Theocrat, then. Or am I the only one who's noticed that this is the way our government seems to be heading? Oh, wait...its alright for us to be a Theocracy since we believe in the One True God. Sorry.

Oh, and for the NSA guys who are reading this...I mean "whack" as in "to hit with a cane", as in the picture which leads off this thread. I do not mean "whack" as in to do away with in any way, shape or form.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #50
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
What about the Moonies, Wolf? Sun Yoon Moon or whatever the fat little crook is named.

Never mind, in opening your chart I see they have him listed as the most recent cult leader. Rather strange to see the Moonies listed as Christians, though
Moonies are ostensibly Christian, with some added wierd beliefs regarding the divinity of Rev. Moon. It will be interesting to see whether the cult survives him.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #51
wolf
lobber of scimitars

In Christianity there is a difference between saying the words ("I accept Jesus as my personal savior," or similar) and saying them with sincerity and absolute truth. The intent behind the words is the key to salvation.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-31-2006, 01:34 PM   #52
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Salvation Army is a religion?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #53
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yep. They do more than just run homeless shelters, thrift stores, and ring bells at Christmastime.

One of my college roommates was S.A.

I never quite figured them out, but they are good, dedicated people.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:12 PM   #54
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

hmm

Quote:
In Christian history, women have had their heads chopped off for far less crimes than being in a house with another man.
All sorts of stuff was done by all sorts of religions, a long long time ago. TODAY, most seem to be enlightened. Some refuse.
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #55
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Whenever somebody brings up the "a long, long time ago..." argument I just want to slap them. Yes, a long, long time ago things were different. For example, we didn't have penicillin! Or, sterile instruments! See, as human beings we are supposed to grow, become more enlightened, embrace learning and humanity. Just because a woman used to have her flippin head lopped off for sneezing in public and now is MERELY caned for ______ (fill in the blank) does not mean we have come a long way. I am pretty certain this part of the world, with it's religious overtone, is well documented as misogynist. It doesn't exactly make me want to run out and date a Muslim guy.*

*something my niece did. Then, after she converted (required) she married him. NOW she is repenting in leisure. She's repenting a LOT. The police are usually involved.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:49 PM   #56
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

Brianna, you misinterpret.

My point was in response to the person who was claiming atrocities were done in the name of Christianity a mere couple hundred years ago.

My belief (hey, as a Christian, perhaps it's biased. I'm trying not to be.) is:

In today's enlightened world....

* Humans do some pretty bad stuff, irrespective of one's religion. This includes people who are Christian, Muslim, insert-religion-here.

* Christians do not commit atrocities *in the name of Christ*.

* Muslim extremists (Not all who follow Islam. Extremists. Let's be clear.) DO commit what most would call atrocities, *in the name of Islam* (bigV will disagree).

So Brianna, my point was comparing activities in religion hundreds of years ago, with today. And today, Islam has some serious issues, whereas Christianity, in my opinion, doesn't engage in these atrocities.

That's my opinion.
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #57
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandman
In today's enlightened world....

* Christians do not commit atrocities *in the name of Christ*.
Why, it's Fun Trivia Time!
3,600 killings and assassinations over the past 30 years. Muslim or Christian?

Your answer, along with many other instances.

"Enlightened World", indeed.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #58
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was agreeing with ya, mlandman. I was talking about the blue-boxed text above your comment. Islam is a comparatively young religion. It appears determined to make it's own mistakes rather than learn from others.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:56 PM   #59
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Ultimately, I don't think most conflicts have much to do with religion in the end. They are more about property, power, wealth and mind control than anything else. In the end, no matter which religion is dominant, the head guy is still the one with the most money, toys and women.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #60
Promenea
Resident President

Quote:
making someone conform to the rituals associated with a religion
When Christian leaders attempt to convince their followers to vote for representatives that want to make laws that regulate certain religious beliefs/behaviors then yes, I think I used the right word - proselytize . I'd be fine if all you folks would be satisfied with singing the praises of Jesus (just not on my doorstep-go tell someone who hasn't heard it already).
Promenea is offline   Reply With Quote