Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #46
jinx
Come on, cat.

Soy beans, steamed and salted.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #47
seakdivers
Icy Queen

I am at that "beginning of the diet" stage where you feel like you have poofed up more than anything else. I've been drinking tons of water, and I have not had a single bread related item in a week, but I feel gross. I think my body is going into survival mode & storing what it can.

I had a scrambled egg for breakfast
4 oz grilled steak & 1/2 tomato for lunch
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese for a snack
1 tortilla-free taco for dinner

I still haven't bought a scale yet, but I know that I feel better.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #48
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yabbut see the thing is, if you don't eat enough your metabolism will in fact slow down, making it harder to lose weight, and that's not enough...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:25 PM   #49
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

dinner was a turkey hoagie with cheese
1 buffalo wing, and a couple bites of jinx's cheesesteak.

oink oink

i'm on my 3rd captain and diet canada dry.

going for a walk in a moment ( 1.5 mi.)
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #50
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim

going for a walk in a moment ( 1.5 mi.)
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2006, 12:57 AM   #51
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

I would like to bring up a diet which is avocated by the medical columnist in our newspaper. It is so simple and so easy that you will not understand why you didn't do it before.

Dr. Peter H. Gott says ALL you need to do is completely eliminate all flour and refined sugar from your food intake. Easy to remember, easy enough when you get used to thinking that way. You don't count calories, carbs, grams, fats, or colored flash cards, you simply do not pick up anything with flour or refined sugar in it. Read the label if you are not sure, but you KNOW the bagels, turkey dressing, pasta, twinkies, and chocolate cake are out, but the cream cheese and fruit juice is not, UNLESS it has been sweetened. The breakfast cereal and french fries are iffy, better read the label to be sure no WHEAT is in it. It seems that wheat is one of the most damaging things we eat, it is really not digestible or beneficial, and many of us are just plain allergic to it and do not even realize why our bodies are bloated all the time when this ingredient is in almost everything we are eating during the day.

People have been writing in to Dr. Gott for years to tell their stories, how the weight just fell off them once they got their mind adjusted to skipping those two ingredients. If I can find a url link to his information, I will post it here.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 AM   #52
Ibby
erika

I read in... I think it was the Washington Post that a new, very good diet idea is to simply eat exactly what you want. Before you put something in your mouth (heh) ask yourself, "Do I reeeeeeally want this?" if the answer is no, then don't eat it. Your body knows what it needs, 90-odd percent of the time. If you only eat what you reeally want, then you're good to go.

Hm, I think I want to start eating a little better - a little less junk, a little more healthy stuff. Not so much for weight as for health, but I'm gonna post here anyway, kay? Kay.

Breakfast - Bagel with cream cheese, Nestea.

Lunch - Two slices of cheese pizza with parmesan cheese, no drink.

I'll probably drink a root beer when I get home, and eat a bowl of tostidos and salsa con queso, or maybe make a bowl of spaghetti and parmesan.

New eating habits start tomorrow. I hope.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #53
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Dr. Gott does not seem to have an online column. So I copied some pertinent letters from several newspapers which Google found:

DEAR DR. GOTT: For the second time, I am trying your "no flour, no sugar" diet. I eat no refined sugar, flour products or potatoes.

It isn't working. My weight has stabilized at 176. Also, my brother has not had success with your diet.

Could it be that we are not drinking enough water?

DEAR READER: No weight-loss diet guarantees results. In patients with genetically determined obesity, for example, special provisions — such as stricter dieting — may be necessary.

Based on the thousands of letters I have received from satisfied patients who have had success with my "no flour, no sugar" diet, I continue to encourage its use because it is overwhelmingly effective, inexpensive and easy to follow. (Water consumption is a matter of preference; it should not affect your weight.) I see from your letter that you avoid refined sugar. This is not enough. No sugar means just that. Along with cane sugar, you must avoid corn syrup (a commercial sweetener), maple syrup, molasses and other sweets. Milk sugar (lactose) and fruit sugar (fructose) are OK.

In addition, potatoes contain neither flour nor sugar — so why restrict them?

If you choose to follow my diet, act like a lawyer. Pick out (and avoid) the products with flour and sugar by reading labels. If the edibles contain flour, it is a "no-no." If, in contrast, it contains — for example — cornmeal, rice or wheat germ, it is acceptable.

DEAR DR. GOTT: You know, you make it sound so easy to just stop eating flour and sugar. Have you ever been morbidly obese? It isn't as easy as just stopping eating. If you do, it doesn't always work as well as you say. Ever since my mother saw your column, she's like, "You can do it if you want to." Thanks a lot.

DEAR READER: Your mother is correct: you can do anything if you want to. Perhaps this realization, if you accept it, could make a huge difference in your future health. For sure, no one can do it for you, so if you tend to blame other people for your lack of success, quit. Admit your obesity and deal with it.

Do some people suffer from genetic overweight? Yes. Are they likely to lose weight simply by dieting? No. Are they often helped by following a reasonable and inexpensive diet? Yes — for while. Could they drop a few pounds and keep them off? Absolutely. While my "no flour, no sugar" diet seems very easy to follow, some patients have a problem with it because of genetic factors. In such instances, I recommend a recommitment to the diet plan, or any other weight-loss program, with close medical supervision.

To give you related information, I am sending you a copy of my Health Report "Losing Weight," which includes my "no flour, no sugar" diet. Other readers who would like a copy should send a long, self-addressed, stamped envelope and $2 to Newsletter, P.O. Box 167, Wickliffe, OH 44092. Be sure to mention the title.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #54
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I like this no flour, no sugar idea. Esp. as it allows me to have milk and OJ (two things I really, reeeeeeeally missed on Atkins)---and, you get potatoes, too! I shall try.

Today--egg, small piece of canadian bacon for breakfast. Lj-how can you drink and then GO FOR A WALK? Ugh!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #55
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I like this no flour, no sugar idea.
Someone has to explain to me why flour, something mankind has consumed for thousands of years, is suddenly off-limits. Same with sugar. I'm going to continue baking bread and enjoying it.

Really -- no milk, no OJ? These fad diets have gone mad!

Eat less, exercise.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 AM   #56
Ibby
erika

dinner: a bowl of grits (two packets, instant), a root beer, and about three seasoned spuds (potato wedges). Oh, yeah, and about 1500 mL of Nestea.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #57
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Turkey hoagie w cheese depends on the mayo. The roll is probably 8 points, the cheese 2 pts per slice, the turkey 1 pt per slice. The mayo is 1 pt per teaspoon so a large slag of it is as much as 6 pts.

Buffalo wings are Right Out, probably 1 pt each.

Cheesesteaks are Right Out, probably 1 pt per bite.

You have to do what works for you. For me, I would *order* the turkey and cheese and then eat half of it. Because I'm weird. This is wasteful, but so is eating it.

A mile and a half of walking gets you back 3 pts worth. A slice and a half of cheese.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #58
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

breakfast...2 oz cottage chs 2%; banana, coffee w cream
Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #59
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Hmmm, breakfast was two cups of coffee and a granola bar.
Stormieweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #60
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Scrambled eggs for breakfast again.

Hey - I've been doing this diet for about a week, and like I said, I don't own a scale. I weighed myself at my sister's house last night, and I actually weigh about 15lbs less than I though!! Woooot!
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote