Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

The Joy of Contacts

So I switched from glasses to soft contacts because I couldn't take the annoyances, anymore. For fifteen years, I've delt with the smears, the fingerprints, the bent frames, the reflections, and all of the other joys that comes with glasses. This past week, I got a new set in and reached the boiling point when the anti-glare coating began to crack, the Flexon frames had a bend that wouldn't go away (I suppose that actually means Flexon really does work!) and the distorting/chromatic aberrations at the edges made driving difficult.

So, contacts. It took awhile for me to force foreign objects into my eyes. There is a reflex, ah...blinking, that tries to prevent it. You'd think the lab tech that was assisting me would understand this. "No, you're not suppose to close your eye!" Gee, thanks for telling me. An hour of tries later, I could see and they didn't feel all that bad. In fact, I could only barely tell that one lens was there because it is a toric. Contact lenses are really amazing.

Except that they fog up now and then. I'll blink and, magically, there is haze. Sometimes it is just a little fuzz around lights at night, sometimes it is a total, white fog that obscures vision. Blinking causes it to change and sometimes go away. It does not encompass my entire field of view -- it is a lot like getting a speck of dust in your eye. Rewetting drops will remedy it for a little while, but I find myself having to add them every ten minutes or so. Some days seem better than others, but it seems to mostly occur after five to nine hours or wear. Some evenings are miserable and, specifically, sitting in front of a computer monitor where one tends to stare is torture.

Does anyone have any experience with something similar? Will I have to change to a different type of contact lens or is this something most contact wearers live with?

I don't really want to switch back to glasses. With my ghastly -4.50/-4.25 corrections, popping the contacts out and putting frames back on my head after a solid day of distortion-free vision was hell! The "lens bend" from the glasses was so bad I nearly fell over while trying to walk! I don't want to have to re-program my brain to get used to that, again. My head hurts just thinking about it.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote