The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #46
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Churches sell redemption, forgiveness of sins, the path to Heaven. They should be taxed.

I would have more compassion for churches were it not for how those who attend weekly service, but don't "donate" are treated.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #47
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So you want to do away with separation of church and state.
If churches were taxed this would be the natural outcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
I personally see no reason whatsoever that a church should not have to pay taxes. I see no reason why they should pay more in taxes than any other organization that draws in the same amount of money... but I see no reason why they shouldn't have to pay.
I can't see it either Ibram. Except for homeless shelters and Salvation Armys here I see no community benefit. I figure 30% of my income to the government is enough of a give that even before I left the church I stopped tithing my babys milk money away.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #48
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Churches sell redemption, forgiveness of sins, the path to Heaven. They should be taxed.

I would have more compassion for churches were it not for how those who attend weekly service, but don't "donate" are treated.
You are so full of shit, Spexx. First off, the Catholic church used to sell indulgences. They do not anymore, and the Protestant church never did. So your assertion that churches "sell" redemption is a stupid metaphor at best. Secondly, no church I have ever been in treated those who did not tithe any differently than those who did. The whole thing is very anonymous in fact--and even moreso nowadays, when any church of moderate size allows giving to be done online if the churchgoer prefers.

Rkz, I'd like to know if you see any differences between a non-profit community theatre troupe and a non-profit church. Should the non-profit theatre troupe be taxed as well?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #49
jester
why so serious

I believe there are several churches whose expenditures may be questionable - most of those are larger churches, as in 500 & up in congregation. However, smaller churches, most of the pastors have a secular job to help support their families, because "the giving" pays just the basic bills. As stated earlier, you can't possibly group "all" churches or even other non-profit organizations into one lump sum - they are not all the same and as such are not "run" the same.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #50
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Secondly, no church I have ever been in treated those who did not tithe any differently than those who did. The whole thing is very anonymous in fact--and even moreso nowadays, when any church of moderate size allows giving to be done online if the churchgoer prefers.
I can't speak to how non-tithers are treated, but online donations are much less anonymous than collection boxes, or even baskets.
Quote:
Rkz, I'd like to know if you see any differences between a non-profit community theatre troupe and a non-profit church. Should the non-profit theatre troupe be taxed as well?
If a church would qualify as non-profit under the same rules as a theatre troupe, then there's no need for the religious component for non-profit status.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #51
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Except for homeless shelters and Salvation Armys here I see no community benefit.
hmm. Perhaps a more rounded education might help? Churches are active in youth organizations, disaster relief, immigration assistance, senior care, education, victim assistance, family counseling . .. the list goes on.

I'm not saying there aren't abuses of the system by churches. I'm troubled by the attitude that seems to be prevalent here that "religion is bad; churches should be abolished." I don't like organized religion myself, but that's because my spirituality is private--between the gods and myself. But I mean, come on-- to say they serve no purpose or provide the community no benefit is inaccurate.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #52
rkzenrage

Quote:
You are so full of shit, Spexx. First off, the Catholic church used to sell indulgences. They do not anymore, and the Protestant church never did. So your assertion that churches "sell" redemption is a stupid metaphor at best. Secondly, no church I have ever been in treated those who did not tithe any differently than those who did. The whole thing is very anonymous in fact--and even moreso nowadays, when any church of moderate size allows giving to be done online if the churchgoer prefers.

If it turns out they are making a profit, FUCK YES!. As an actor I have seen this happen and people getting rich off of actors who do not get paid... it is disgusting.

Quote:
rk, I am as hostile to religion as the next dwellar
I have said before, I am not hosile toward religion as long as it does not break the three: Do not break the threshold of church and state IN ANY WAY (that includes lobbying your mythology to any laws)
Do not abuse children with ideas about eternal torture, child abuse of any kind should be prosecuted by law at all times.
Do not go door-to-door or phone unsolicited, this should be illegal for anyone, not just religion.

The tax thing, honestly I poorly worded the title of this thread now that I see that churches are only about half of those that need their tax exempt status removed.

Being "active in" and qualifying as an Actual Charity are two things that do not meet anywhere in the middle.
I have been active in charity my whole life.
I have also BEEN a charity, for three months out of the year for three years in a row... trust me... they are NOT the same thing, not by a LONG SHOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
I believe there are several churches whose expenditures may be questionable - most of those are larger churches, as in 500 & up in congregation. However, smaller churches, most of the pastors have a secular job to help support their families, because "the giving" pays just the basic bills. As stated earlier, you can't possibly group "all" churches or even other non-profit organizations into one lump sum - they are not all the same and as such are not "run" the same.
And their taxes would reflect that.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #53
Spexxvet

Quote:
You are so full of shit, Spexx. First off, the Catholic church used to sell indulgences. They do not anymore, and the Protestant church never did. So your assertion that churches "sell" redemption is a stupid metaphor at best. Secondly, no church I have ever been in treated those who did not tithe any differently than those who did. The whole thing is very anonymous in fact--and even moreso nowadays, when any church of moderate size allows giving to be done online if the churchgoer prefers...
Why the attack?

Then what does a church do? On Sunday morning, you goes in, you pays your money, you're forgiven and on track to heaven. I wasn't talking about indulgences, I was talking about fee for service. You pay your donation, and in return, you get......what?

Our church gave us a statement of our donations at the end of every year, so it was by no means anonymous, and they printed the previous week's total take in the current week's program.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #54
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
hmm. Perhaps a more rounded education might help? Churches are active in youth organizations, disaster relief, immigration assistance, senior care, education, victim assistance, family counseling . .. the list goes on.

I'm not saying there aren't abuses of the system by churches. I'm troubled by the attitude that seems to be prevalent here that "religion is bad; churches should be abolished." I don't like organized religion myself, but that's because my spirituality is private--between the gods and myself. But I mean, come on-- to say they serve no purpose or provide the community no benefit is inaccurate.
I don't understand your first statement about a rounded education.

You should be aware though that the Salvation Armys and homeless shelters are Christain organizations. I've done plenty of missions in my youth where we helped out in shelters.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #55
rkzenrage

Exactly, even though the Salvation army and some of the foreign aid organizations have had their problems, most of them, now, have very good books and would have any issue with this.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #56
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
If a church would qualify as non-profit under the same rules as a theatre troupe, then there's no need for the religious component for non-profit status.
I agree, and I'm honestly not sure how the rules are different. I'm merely pointing out a logical conclusion of rkzenrage's assertions that all non-profits should give a provable base percentage to charity. There are valuable social services that many non-profits can provide without being direct charities.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #57
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Unless as a nation you are prepared to do what it takes to resolve problems like homelessness, drug-abuse, poverty and assorted other ills, I suggest you allow some of those churches to continue their outreach work. They take up a lot of the slack in the system. There are no doubt many are deserving of greater scrutiny, but just as the Church has historically been a force for obedience and acceptance, it's also often been the one organisation that has sought to ameliorate some of the worst conditions for poor communities.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #58
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Unless as a nation you are prepared to do what it takes to resolve problems like homelessness, drug-abuse, poverty and assorted other ills, I suggest you allow some of those churches to continue their outreach work. They take up a lot of the slack in the system. There are no doubt many are deserving of greater scrutiny, but just as the Church has historically been a force for obedience and acceptance, it's also often been the one organisation that has sought to ameliorate some of the worst conditions for poor communities.
Just look at Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #59
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
If it turns out they are making a profit, FUCK YES!. As an actor I have seen this happen and people getting rich off of actors who do not get paid... it is disgusting.
What if they use the extra money to grow--to buy better costumes, rent a bigger theatre space, put out more advertisements to get more audience members?

Quote:
Why the attack?
Because your comment seemed flippant and directly intended to offend. I didn't realize you honestly had experienced such things in a church.

Quote:
Then what does a church do? On Sunday morning, you goes in, you pays your money, you're forgiven and on track to heaven. I wasn't talking about indulgences, I was talking about fee for service. You pay your donation, and in return, you get......what?

Our church gave us a statement of our donations at the end of every year, so it was by no means anonymous, and they printed the previous week's total take in the current week's program.
No offense, but your church sucked. Printing the total amount given is very different than a list of who gave it. In most churches, less than 50% of the regular attendees give any money at all. But those who do give want to know their money is being used accountably, which is one reason yearly budgets and giving amounts are published--not necessarily to guilt people into giving more, but to show where the money's actually going.

The "fee for service" is actually a valid idea--you are paying for the weekly comfort, the marriage ceremonies, the funerals, the marital counseling, the childcare while you participate... you are also contributing to some amount of direct charity work, though how much varies widely with each church, as rkz has been pointing out. But forgiveness is absolutely not a function of church attendance or monetary donation, in the Protestant faith at any rate.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #60
rkzenrage

Quote:
What if they use the extra money to grow--to buy better costumes, rent a bigger theatre space, put out more advertisements to get more audience members?
Was there something about "showing that they are using the funds to provide the service intended" that confused you?