The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-16-2004, 02:03 PM   #571
mrnoodle
bent

King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska - Their best, I think. I just found out from AMG that the singer, Doug Pinnick, is 54 years old now. My day is ruined.

The rest of these are guitar-geek albums.

Dave Beegle - A Year Closer - he's my old guitar teacher, and a world-class player, so you should support him too This album is acoustic, mostly flamenco.

Testament - The Gathering - It's metal, could you tell? Dave Lombardo is the shiznit on drums. Metallica made the big time and these guys didn't. T'ain't fair.

Dream Theater - [i]6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence[/] - John Petrucci is my favorite guitar player of all time, rockwise. This album's another epic prog-rock mastubatory 3 hour thing. I love those.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #572
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

REALLY?!

thought it sonded just like john popper. i had given him a lot of credit for doin it, too. damn!. is there a published cut of it, mine's truncated.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:13 PM   #573
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I love King's X...they have some of the most out-there lyrics I've ever heard. I wonder how their Christian fans felt when Doug came out...that had to be a shocker.

Damn, he is old...53.

Testament weren't bad back in the day, but there was too much focus on Skolnick. When he left, most of the attention they were getting went with him.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:04 PM   #574
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
REALLY?!

thought it sonded just like john popper. i had given him a lot of credit for doin it, too. damn!. is there a published cut of it, mine's truncated.
warch and I have occasionally fair-used some stuff from parallel musical universe here. If you want to message me with an address we could put you in the loop as well. I have that cut and many others strange and wonderful,.... well wonderful to me anyway. g
Old 02-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #575
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

very kind of you.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #576
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I love King's X...they have some of the most out-there lyrics I've ever heard. I wonder how their Christian fans felt when Doug came out...that had to be a shocker.
What's so cool about them is that their lyrics were such a glimpse into their personal turmoil. While some of the albums obviously came from a place of faith in God, others reflected a disillusionment with Christianity. The latest ones kind of have a redemptive theme about them again. But no matter what the lyric, the music was always strong - sometimes a little weird, but still good.

Quote:
Testament weren't bad back in the day, but there was too much focus on Skolnick. When he left, most of the attention they were getting went with him.
Metalheads couldn't get a handle on the fact that a thrash band had a jazz-influenced soloist. I thought that was what made em cool. Chuck Billy is probably still the dominant force, though.

Incidentally, listening to a Christian-influenced band and a scary devil band in the same sitting is jarring. + =
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #577
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
You wacky kids and your imaginations!

Currently I am developing the Sycamore Pimp Mix, featuring thus far:

--Tha Dogg Pound
--Snoop Dogg
--OutKast
--Ice-T
--George Clinton
--Ice Cube
--Stevie Wonder
--Earth Wind & Fire
--Cypress Hill
Inquiring minds want to know when we can expect the Sycamore Original Album?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #578
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Inquiring minds want to know when we can expect the Sycamore Original Album?
The 12th of Never.

Seriously...when it comes to the music thing, I am a fucking slackass. There are so many things running around in my head lyrically and musically, but I always waste my time on other shit...like the Cellar.

Any Sycamore project is going to be spoken-word...minimalist. I have a side project that I've envisioned as industrial techno...but there hasn't been a whole lot of work done with that either.

I just need to put more time and energy into it...one of these days I will...
Old 02-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #579
elSicomoro

Floetry--Floacism: I did mention how great Floetry is, right? This is their newest release, featuring some new songs along with live material. Both this CD and Floetic are so damned good, I'm going to go out and buy them. I haven't bought a CD in over 4 months.

And what was the last CD that Sycamore bought? OutKast...you know, that double CD that is fucking mind-blowing...the one that won album of the year at the Grammys and actually deserved it?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:15 PM   #580
Elspode

I am not a big fan of rap or hip-hop, but I have to admit to really liking "Hey Ya" very much. Infectious as hell, that one.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:16 PM   #581
Elspode

Quote:

The 12th of Never.

Seriously...when it comes to the music thing, I am a fucking slackass. There are so many things running around in my head lyrically and musically, but I always waste my time on other shit...like the Cellar.

I just need to put more time and energy into it...one of these days I will...
It takes me about four to five years to do one CD with my collaborator...so I understand.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:20 PM   #582
elSicomoro

I've been threatening one for over 10 years now, so it's probably time that I put my money where my mouth is.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:44 PM   #583
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Dream Theater

Dark Side of the Moog

Blind Guardian

David Arkenstone

Weird Al

The new Winamp will generate an HTML playlist if people want to post them where each of us can see them.

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours...
Old 02-20-2004, 10:55 PM   #584
nekee
naughty nurse

Hey Ya

i have to agree Hey Ya is a very addicting song and when it comes on the radio while i am at work i turn it up and laugh because i work in a doctors office all the other nurses there are a little older than i am and well.... they are not to fond of the fact that i brought a radio in and put it on the stations that i like!
nekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #585
elSicomoro

For the record, as a Native American, I was not offended by Andre 3000 and his performance at the Grammys. Plus, I don't watch much on CBS anyway. Therefore, I will not boycott CBS.