The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #556
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

My daughter doesn't have dual citizenship. She's an American citizen. I haven't really chosen another country yet, but it most likely would not be Vietnam, although they are moving closer to freedom and America is moving further away from it.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #557
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I couldn't recall your wife's native country--I knew it was an Asian country--though not which one.

IF you did decide to live in another country-would you keep your daughter's American citizenship? I worded my question weird the first time. I know some countries let you keep it (i believe the Netherlands is one, Ireland and Italy are others) and others do not--a friend told me Canada will NOT let Americans have dual citizenship.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #558
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Living in a society provides everyone in that society with benefits. The majority of us must agree to that because if not, we'd be living as hermits in caves, totally disconnected from society and the benefits there-of.

Nothing in this world comes for free. You always have to pay the ferryman.

If you want the benefits of living in society, that society has the right to say how you should live within it, so laws are created which suit the majority at the time of their making.

Sometimes these laws need to addressed because they've become outdated or even obsolete.

If you don't like living by the laws of society, then don't live in it or do something about those laws.

I suggest comming to Australia if you like strict gun laws.

I suggest moving to a country at war if you like the idea of being able to carry machine guns around the street.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #559
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Living within a society does not mean giving up rights. It means common protection under the law. It means people agree not to harm each other and face consequences if they don't.

The "benefits of living in a society" are merely that you stand up for each other when something happens. Those benefits do not include taking from those who earn to provide food, shelter, education, healthcare, etc. for those who don't.

Society has no rights; only individuals do. Society has limited powers. They are limited to what the people grant to it. One individual has no authority to take the earnings of another to pay for their own wants or perceived needs. This means they may not legitimately grant this power to government.

The wants of millions of people are less than the rights of a single person.

Australia is a beautiful place, but I see it as having a bunch of rednecks with different accents. The Southern United States are beautiful too, but I wouldn't want to live there either. And I can carry a gun all I want there.

I prefer to live in a free country that has citizens rather than subjects and you won't find freedom in the UK or any of its former colonies.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #560
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Going back to original question...Do I own a gun? Yes, yes I do.
  • 1851 Colt Navy Black Powder .44 cal
  • Ruger GP 100 .357 mag
  • Ruger Mark II Target Model .22 w/scope & Pachmayr grips
  • 1920 Mossberg Brownie Four Barrel .22 Pistol (First model of any gun ever produced by Mossberg)
  • 1950s-1960s EIG "Derringer" .22 w/ 3” Over/Under Tip-Up Barrels (Italian knockoff of Mossberg Brownie)
  • FIE TZ 75 9mm Semi-Auto (Clone of the Czech CZ 75)
  • Savage Arms .380 Model 1917
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #561
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
My political ambitions are over. I'm no longer a member of the Libertarian Party and I choose not to vote anymore or run for office... I'm concentrating on raising my child and will most likely move to another country ...
As ZippyT would say - "bu-bye"

Before you go, are you going to back up any of your attack on me with evidence, or just admit you lied.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #562
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
... I don't see his uber-defensive attitude helping his political ambitions.
Watch out, Bri! This is where Wolf swoops in and dismisses what you've said, saying you were picked last in kick ball, or some crap like that.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #563
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Living in a society provides everyone in that society with benefits. The majority of us must agree to that because if not, we'd be living as hermits in caves, totally disconnected from society and the benefits there-of.
But with the internet we have what fills the need for socializing, without the cost. My cave is air conditioned.

Quote:
If you want the benefits of living in society, that society has the right to say how you should live within it, so laws are created which suit the majority at the time of their making.
Here there is one more hurdle. The desired law must pass Constitutional muster to make sure the majority didn't pass a law to fuck with the minority. That's the difference between our system and a pure democracy.

aside.... I believe using heroin is legal, while buying, selling, and possession is not. Isn't that why they take a user to the hospital instead of jail?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #564
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
a friend told me Canada will NOT let Americans have dual citizenship.
Your friend's information is outdated.

http://www.uscitizenship.info/en_US/...ip/ans/g96.jsp
Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #565
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
How is that hilarious? People buy insurance every single day. Were it not for my insurance, the birth of my child a few days ago would have cost me close to $100,000. The few hundred a month I pay in comparison is a pittance.

Insurance is not available to everyone. People who already have a condition needing treatment at the time of application are often refused. That would include people who are born needing treatment and continue to need it when they can no longer be included on their parents' plan. No?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #566
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
As ZippyT would say - "bu-bye"

Before you go, are you going to back up any of your attack on me with evidence, or just admit you lied.
You mean like the mountain of evidence already given? But as a pathological liar and the asshole you are, you would probably deny I ever did.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #567
Spexxvet

Quote:
You mean like the mountain of evidence already given? But as a pathological liar and the asshole you are, you would probably deny I ever did.
Quote me. If there's so much, just do it. No need for name calling.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #568
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Scroll back yourself jackass. And there is a need for name calling. When someone is an outrageously idiotic asshole constantly and tells lies about those who use guns and who even denies a FACT like our natural right to own guns, they are begging to be called names.

You're a fucking worthless idiot.

Now you get what you want so badly you little troll.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #569
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Your right to own guns is not a fact. You just made it a fact because it is your perspective on how everyone should live. That means not everyone thinks it is a fact that it is your right to own a gun. All you are doing is forcing your views on other people and pathetically thinking that your way to live is the right way to live. There is no right way to live and hopefully you can accept that. What you are doing is just the same thing as forcing people not to own guns but in the reverse form.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #570
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

My right to own a gun IS a fact. It's as much a fact as is your existence. If you deny my right to own guns, you deny your own existence and that of all human beings.

It's not my "perspective" and it's not an "opinion". It's a cold, hard, undeniable fact.

We have rights and those who claim otherwise deny facts. I don't demand that anyone else have a gun, I only demand that they don't infringe on my right to do so. If they do, they will get my gun bullets first.