The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #541
Billy
Professor

Quote:
Every year one can take advantage of the best visiting times through May to October. At the foot of Mt. Huashan there are a variety of restaurants where comfortable accommodation is available. As well, one might can be refreshed in the restaurants on Qingke Stand, South Peak and North Peak as well as in temples, big or small.

The area of Mt. Huashan specializes in gingko, thatch weaving and traditional paper-cutting. The shops are mostly at the foot of the mountain, where one can rent walking sticks, gym shoes, warm clothes, electric torches and so on.
Attached Images

Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #542
Billy
Professor

Quote:
South Peak: Taoism Temples

The south peak is the main peak and also the steepest of Huashan. Legend has it that Laozi, the originator of Taoism, used to missionize here. Among the many temples, the Jintian Palace, the Zhenyue Palace and the Chunyang Temple are the listed among the state-level Taoist structures.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #543
Billy
Professor

Quote:
West Peak: Green Cloud Temple

The Green Cloud Temple is also called the Holy Mother Temple. It enshrines statues of three holy mothers. There is a large stone cut into three parts outside. It is the well-known "Ax Cutting Stone" for it looks as if it is being cut by an ax. Beside the stone, there is a huge ax. According to legend Baolian Deng (The Lotus Lamp), it was used by Chen Xiang to save his mother.

Central Peak: Jade Maiden Shrine

It is on the central peak of Huashan and stands on a natural stone tortoise. The Jade maiden was said to be Nong Yu -- daughter of Duke Mu of the Qin Dynasty (221-206BC). The story took place in the Spring and Autumn Period (770-476BC): A young man named Xiao Shi was good at playing bamboo flute. Nong Yu, who fell deeply in love with the poor young man, gave up all her nabobism to marry Xiao. The lovers came to Huashan and lived here for the rest of their life. To commemorate the couple, people built the Jade Maiden Shrine.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #544
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

In our litigious society, a place like this would never be available for the common person to experience in this way. Those chain/board pathways are a personal injury lawyer's wet dream.
Excellent pics and info, as always, Billy. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #545
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn, I think I'll past on that trip....leave it to the younger set to bring back pictures.

Billy, what have you been doing? Where are you now, still working for Thompson? Are you still having fun or has some woman tied you down?

I massaged the first picture a little.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:50 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #546
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Billy, I haven't seen any of your gorgeous pictures before today.

They took my breath away - you have a real talent both for photography and the captions you apply. Amazes me that can describe images so poetically and succinctly - AND in a foreign language!

A few pages back (I started from page 1) you mentioned Tripataka Hall, but without further explanation. Is this the same as Tripitaka of Journey to the West (Xi You Ji) fame?

I understand it's also a generic term for a Buddhist monk of a certain level.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #547
glatt

Billy, thanks for posting information about these pictures. I saw one of them on a random Live Journal page a while back, and posted it over in the WTF thread, but didn't know anything about the place. It's really amazing. I'd be afraid to go there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #548
Billy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Damn, I think I'll past on that trip....leave it to the younger set to bring back pictures.

Billy, what have you been doing? Where are you now, still working for Thomson? Are you still having fun or has some woman tied you down?
It is said that some people fall down to die from the stepupstairs every year.

Thanks for your kind concers. I changed to a new job into a Candian company this year. I live in Dalian, Liaoning. I think you can figure out where I am from Google Earth. No, I am looking for right one to make relation. Unfortunately, I have not met.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #549
Billy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I saw one of them on a random Live Journal page a while back, and posted it over in the WTF thread, but didn't know anything about the place. It's really amazing. I'd be afraid to go there.
The photos were sent by one friend of mine. I have never been to the Mt. Huashan so I cant tell you where it is on this photo. I heard there are many that steps there. Very dangerous!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #550
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A Canadian Company? Maybe they'll transfer you to the home office.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #551
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I tell you what. I don't think of myself as someone with agoraphobia. But just looking at those pictures make my gut tighten up.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:28 AM   #552
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My extreme fear of falling keeps me from seeing places like this in person. Thank you so much for the pictures!!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:48 AM   #553
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder what all the padlocks are for, along the chains?
They don't seem to be splicing chains together, maybe they are memorials? You know, like crosses beside the road marking fatalities.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #554
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

*tour guide voice*
...and over here we have the padlock marking the tragic dogshit slide of '97...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #555
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

To keep idiots from stealing the chains? After all, there's not much else there that you can call "safety equipment".