The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #526
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I did find it interesting what Obama said and how he voted on the last attempt to raise the debt ceiling.....

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...t-limit-when-/

Quote:
While President Obama’s economic advisor Austin Goolsbee argued Sunday that a refusal by the Senate to increase the government’s debt ceiling (currently $14.3 trillion) would be “catastrophic” and a sign of “insanity,” that’s not the position the president has held in the past.

Here are Obama’s thoughts on the debt limit in 2006, when he voted against increasing the ceiling:

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

In 2007 and in 2008, when the Senate voted to increase the limit by $850 billion and $800 billion respectively, Obama did not bother to vote. (He did vote for TARP, which increased the debt limit by $700 billion.)
Yea, God Damm right we have a failure of leadership. And it is Obama's failure.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #527
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
As annoying as it is, I'm beginning to believe this how the game has to be played for politicians. Or at least that strategy has been the most successful for politicians for past 50 or so years.
It is annoying but I am more annoyed with myself for expecting direct answers to questions.

This is why I do not watch the news. (except during elections)
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #528
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
In 2007 and in 2008, when the Senate voted to increase the limit by $850 billion and $800 billion respectively, Obama did not bother to vote. (He did vote for TARP, which increased the debt limit by $700 billion.)
I thought we discussed this part already ... Wasn't TARP successful?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #529
TheMercenary

Well....
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #530
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Since I'm not in either category, I like that cartoon!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #531
Griff
still says videotape

Didn't someone just get done debunking the existence of the first group? I seem to fit in the 0% who carries their fair share of taxes as well.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #532
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I just heard Boehner say that he has the same responsibilites as the president.

heh.

this after weeks and weeks of begging the president to do Boehner's job for him, to present a package that can pass the congress. I actually feel bad for Boehner, I don't think he's in a position that is survivable. I think he's been boxed into a corner by the walls of reality--that the debt ceiling must be raised--pressed into this corner by the mindless mob with pitchforks and torches demanding changes, big changes, and right now, to the whole structure of the business dealings of the country.

Sadly, these are two different problems. Both important, but one is VASTLY more acute than the other. The debt ceiling must be raised. The alarm over the budget deficit has already been raised and I have no doubt that there will be plenty of sausage made on that score.

But, people, let's put the fuse out on this powder keg **FIRST**, ok?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #533
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Neither side cares about the country, they only care about the next election and holding on to power.
mercy, I frequently disagree with your politics, but your analysis here is tragically correct.

Fucking fuck.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #534
TheMercenary

We are heading for the shitter and both side will have to take a big bite of that sandwich at the next election.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #535
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
both side will have to take a big bite of that SHIT sandwich at the next election.
ftfy
Old 07-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #536
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Neither side cares about the country, they only care about the next election and holding on to power.
This is always fun to say but not true at all. The Democrats are bending on budget cuts as Republicans are bending on tax increases. Your people, the Tea Partiers are the ones forcing brinkmanship games. You are getting what you are demanding and bitching about it.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #537
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Are these the same revisionist a-holes who came up with the 'slavery wasn't really that bad, it was really lifetime job security' bullshit?

At least the Holocaust deniers try to pretend it didn't happen instead of stating that it was 'not that bad'.

As Bruce says, he lived it and UG has read it. Lincoln had words about people who spoke about slavery with no empathy, safe from the knowledge that it would never affect them.

If Lincoln could get a look at what has become of his party.........(the wildly inappropriate comment to follow has not made it past my decency filter)
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #538
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
This is always fun to say but not true at all. The Democrats are bending on budget cuts as Republicans are bending on tax increases. Your people, the Tea Partiers are the ones forcing brinkmanship games. You are getting what you are demanding and bitching about it.
It's the same mindset that blames Obama for high unemployment, at the same time that they endorse cost-cutting measures that cause federal, state, and local layoffs.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #539
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary
I will concede that the absolute modifier "only" makes this statement untrue. Clearly those elected officials who are in a position to make substantive decisions care about many things, including, and perhaps even near the top of the list, what is good for the country. Also very high on the list is an ACUTE awareness that every word and action coming from them (and doubtless many that don't come from them) will be used in the next election. Not just the next election but in all the daily power plays that make up the lively social economy in our federal government. Not only will their words and actions be fodder for hostile opponents, but so will their silences and inactions. Many will justify their choices with the maxim "you cannot govern unless you have been elected".

They all are considering this, that they cannot do anything for the good of the country unless they're in office. First things first.

I agree with you Griff, that Boehner's caucus is being destructively and disingenuously uncooperative. I think most of them have deceived themselves that they're standing on principle and that their position is supported by facts. This is my understanding of how they're able to justify their actions. I think their principle is uselessly oversimple and their facts are pretty much made of hot air. Neither their claims to be supported by the republican voters nor their math about what's to be spent and how.

In the meantime, I think the whole nauseating theater is causing actual harm--a further erosion of the public's faith in our government. We elected them to lead, to act and GODDAMMIT to cooperate. Right now, I see little of any of that, and the Rs are in the lead, but it's not a one horse race.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #540
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
FYI, They are not "my people"....