The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #526
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Don't you remember you put it in there? And then you had to go to the bathroom? But then you just returned to your desk and worked for 10 minutes, and then you decided it was lunch time? Remember?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #527
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Maybe it was the lunch fairies helping you out.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #528
lookout123
changed his status to single

the oil crisis is hurting everyone. i hear the underwear gnomes have been helping out in offices all across the country.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #529
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Don't you remember you put it in there? And then you had to go to the bathroom? But then you just returned to your desk and worked for 10 minutes, and then you decided it was lunch time? Remember?
you're not the only person who suggested this to me. But it wasn't me. I SWEAR!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #530
HungLikeJesus

I think this is the first sign.

But I don't remember what it's a sign of.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #531
lookout123
changed his status to single

It's Happening.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #532
Griff
still says videotape

Damn, let me check the star charts... shit. It is.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #533
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Cloud, it drives me crazy too.
I found in the end the only way to stop it was to act as crazy as I felt - it's not worth the bother for people then.

I haven't got there in my current job - they tried to take my ice to Glastonbury at the end of last week. I went out to the minibus and asked for it back. It's not the money (it costs £1) it's the fact I'd have to go to the shops to buy more because they's taken MINE! MINE, which is buy because I don't like warm drinks so I have ice to put in them.

This came on the heels of another colleague packing all the sugar to take to Glastonbury. So on a very busy day I had to go to the shops to buy more. I don't use it myself, but we had visitors in that did.

They'll learn. Oh, they'll learn.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #534
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
...they tried to take my ice to Glastonbury at the end of last week...
Is that like "Bringing coals to Newcastle?" If it is, I love it and want to know what it means. That will be my new tagline. Totally.

"That asshole keeps that shit up and I'll be taking his ice to Glastonbury."

Last edited by footfootfoot; 07-05-2008 at 10:25 PM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #535
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
I am beset by complaints from coworkers who are worried about a ma$$ive software implementation. I am trying to be diplomatic, but the time for complaints was months ago. I am trying not to point out that we've already delayed the project by four months to absolutely no effect, simply to assuage peoples' discomfort. There are many things I'm trying to to point out simply because they'd come off as insulting. But the bottom line is this is going to happen whether anybody likes it or not.
Keep in mind that it doesn't matter how virtuous the system is you're inflicting on people if they won't cooperate. The users have to be on board or you're wasting your money. The users are your key to success.

I think it's worth the time to assuage every reasonable worry. But some people are going to bitch and moan no matter how much training and reassurance they receive. You have to deploy sometime.

The good thing is that if this software is a key factor in the success of the company, anyone who embraces it will prosper and those who don't will eventually get left behind (if not shit-canned).

In the future, your company might try to make the users see the virtue of a new software package before making the decision to implement it. If you believe this software will make a huge difference to the bottom line and can make the users decide that they must have this software, then you're golden. When those two criteria (and some that aren't occurring to me in my just-woken phase) aren't fulfilled the software probably isn't a good idea.

(I'll stop here. I have a shit-ton more to say about this, but you're probably just venting and don't care. This Master's degree shit is warping my mind--I'm actually thinking about business!?)
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #536
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Is that like "Bringing coals to Newcastle?" If it is, I love it and want to know what it means. That will be my new tagline. Totally.

"That asshole keeps that shit up and I'll be taking his ice to Glastonbury."
I wish it were a quaint turn of phrase.
Sadly it means that the artists who were going on a jolly to a big music festival decided to strip the kitchen of whatever they fancied, whether it was bought on the company budget (which I think is cheeky enough given the fact they had a £300 float!) or whether it looked like a personal item.

The fact that no-one ever stored bags of ice in the freezer until I arrived should perhaps have been a clue? I like my cold drinks COLD. That's my bag you could say. And it was my bleeding bag.

Still not quite over it as you can tell
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #537
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
Keep in mind that it doesn't matter how virtuous the system is you're inflicting on people if they won't cooperate. The users have to be on board or you're wasting your money. The users are your key to success. . . blah blah blah . .
I agree with almost all of what you wrote. Before we even looked at a single product (officially--of course I had feelers out) we ran internal focus groups to talk about what was wrong with our current systems and what we needed to replace them. After a great deal of research I narrowed our options to three companies. Each company spent two days on site doing demos for our staff, along with other meetings etc. etc.

Product C was the universal third choice of everyone. Product A was the #1 choice of about 60% of the people, and was deemed "OK, we can work with that" by most of the others. Product B was twice as much as product A, so (duh) we went with A.

I could go on, but the only way we could have made this more participatory is if we had given each employee cash and told them to go buy their own databases. Like you said, some people whine no matter what, and you have to pull the trigger sometime.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #538
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Obviously, I can't take a day off. Inundated with emails about this and that, things others are more than capable of researching but would rather push it off. So much for hoping for an extended time off...a couple days, maybe (GASP) a whole week. The times is there, I just can't use any of it. Apparently.

Then I also get emails from boss saying she is taking the next 3 Thursdays off and my peer, taking the next 2 MOndays off.

I plan to inundate them back: Um, Miss Mia Mofflebopper wants to know where you are in processing her aid. I could look it up but I don't feel like it.

I will put a "high importance" exclamation point icon with it when I send, for effect.

grumble grumble grumble.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #539
HungLikeJesus

Shawnee, I'm glad you're back to normal.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #540
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

heeheeeheee!

Tags
mild cheddar