The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #511
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
...in the past, when this house was vacant, it attracted college students who broke in...
If it comes to vengeance/revenge, buy a pony keg, leave it in the living room, with signs in the windows, "Kegger, here, now!", or "Free BEER!!".

Instant condemnation.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #512
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well, I wouldn't do that without leaving unlocked the $200 worth of marine-grade front door combination deadbolt that Katkeeper bought and had installed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #513
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If I remember correctly you were renting on a monthly basis rather than a long term lease. Even though the house became what we consider uninhabitable, through no fault of your own, you notified them on the first but didn't vacate until the fifteenth. Is this their basis for keeping your security deposit, or are they just used to dealing with college kids who move away and can't fight it?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #514
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Right, that's the basis. The lease was over; but even when it wasn't, they weren't upholding their end of it by providing livable conditions. During the last 14 months of my time there, I could have stopped paying rent at any time on the basis of the roof leak.

But not so much stopped, as put it into an escrow account that they would eventually, possibly, recover if they proved there had been repairs. Which would then gotten weird because, as it proved out, they never had any intention of making repairs. I kind of figured that would be where it would lead, if they had no money and I stopped giving them any. I don't know where the laws go, at that point.

At some point it would have forced me to get out of Dodge and I didn't have the money to do that either.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #515
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

In view of the circumstances (i.e. mid-month departure secondary to uninhabitable premises), it would be reasonable to call the property manager and ask why you're not getting half the security deposit back. The door for questions was left open. It comes at no cost to you and you may gain insight into how they may respond to your proposed retaliation from the tone of the conversation.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #516
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No drainage from the bathroom at Cottage of Prussia!

Why does this keep happening to me

First round of plumbers is vexed by weird hookup and now they need to go in via the roof!

It turns out no sewage system can endure my foul output

at least now the landlord is responsive and apologetic
Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #517
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Your shit froze
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #518
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The roof? What the hell are your pipes doing in the roof of a one-story home?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #519
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

If the air vents are blocked, there is a vacuum effect that will prevent drainage.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:55 AM   #520
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Exactly, quite often houses , especially if they're on a slab, have no access big enough to get a snake or auger through without pulling the toilet. But the vent through the roof is a clean shot into the system and usually full sized.

UT, do you have a garbage disposal, or putting food down the sink, or using blue toilet paper?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #521
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No garbage disposal, and actually the line from the kitchen is clear. They ran two different lines for this house because it's old and built before the modern world came around. If only I could pee into the kitchen sink
Old 02-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #522
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
It turns out no sewage system can endure my foul output
I can't offer the same expertise and advice that other Dwellars can, but you have my sympathy.
I have the same issue with shoes, and no third party involved. My foot-stank is so corrosive it actually eats shoes. Add that to the tissue thin skin which makes breaking in new shoes a chafing horror, and my new-acquired ability to bleed like a stuck pig... Came home with my boots full of blood AGAIN on Monday after meeting an old friend. And I wear those boots on a weekly basis.

Sometimes life seems to be on a shitty loop.
No offense intended (as unlike me, I'm sure your sewage problems are simply coincidental).
Old 02-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #523
Griff
still says videotape

We've got a bad sewer line at work so Imma sit home...
Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #524
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
No garbage disposal, and actually the line from the kitchen is clear. They ran two different lines for this house because it's old and built before the modern world came around. If only I could pee into the kitchen sink

Old 02-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #525
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

It started when masons installed a new concrete stairway with a landing that contained a plastic drain. An already cracked plastic pipe fell into the pipe. Part of that plastic eventually lodged deep down in the sewer line. With shit, food, and tissue paper, it formed a restriction; then a dam.

They tried a power snake from many directions including the roof. No solution. Then a fiber optic camera. It identified the blockage. They tried a high pressure water jet. That cleaned the plastic enough that a fiber optic camera could identify the plastic.

Next came a jack hammer to rip up the concrete floor to install a new sewer pipe. That was $2500 just for the plumber alone. Actually a bargain.

Now think about what you have flushed down there. And who pays for the plumber.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote