The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #451
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
You'd have to prove it to your neighbors if they claimed you were endangering them. Actually it goes the other way. They would have to prove you were endangering them in order to take any actions against you. If they made such claims and had enough evidence to get a trial, you'd then have to prove your storage was safe.....or nuke the court.
So you don't have to prove you're handling it properly.

How are they supposed to know whether you're endangering them until it's too late?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #452
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
The Cellar Cookie AI is long fabled in song and story.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #453
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
So you don't have to prove you're handling it properly.

How are they supposed to know whether you're endangering them until it's too late?
The burden of proof rests squarely on the shoulders of those who are making accusations of impropriety or especially those making accusations of endangerment.

I'd imagine if they started losing hair for no apparent reason and found that there was radiation coming from a house, they'd probably be able to figure it out.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #454
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
The Cellar Cookie AI is long fabled in song and story.
Yes, I'm pleasantly familiar with the fabled cellar cookie ai. I was dazzled by the synchronicity of this cookie in this thread.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #455
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Eh? Your whole point is that Bruce would defend himself if attacked?
I'm having a hard time following how you drew that conclusion from this thread. Would you take me step by step through your thought process?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #456
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
The burden of proof rests squarely on the shoulders of those who are making accusations of impropriety or especially those making accusations of endangerment.

I'd imagine if they started losing hair for no apparent reason and found that there was radiation coming from a house, they'd probably be able to figure it out.
Like I said. Too late.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #457
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
snip~ the same could be said about "swords". we have couple that we purchased as christmas gifts - only because my son thought they were "cool". as stated before we don't have any guns so - what if I used that?
Spex says that's proof positive you bought that sword with intent of stabbing someone.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #458
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Spex says that's proof positive you bought that sword with intent of stabbing someone.
First, you hypocritically presume to know my intentions, now you presume to speak for me. Just shut the fuck up, you dumb cocksucker.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #459
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm certainly free, nay compelled, to spread the gospel of Spex.
Just call me the dickhead's disciple.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #460
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
This, gay marriage laws, pro-lifers, dress code laws for kids (yes, some towns have them), PMRC, the FCC's bullshit, etc, etc, etc... is all the same bullshit.
Some people believe they are better than others and they should be able to tell their neighbors how to live their life, what they should be able to do and what they should not be able to do, what they should be able to say and what they should not be able to say.
They will swear they do not want one while doing their damnedest to implement an oligarchy, theocracy or other form of oppressive, nanny, government.
This mindset is AFRAID of freedom or it resents anyone who thinks differently than they do. Honestly that is cool, as long as one does nothing about it... but these people try to change legislation to inhibit others from expressing alternate thoughts.
They don't like freedom.
I have said it before.
Freedom means that you must contend with other's ideas and actions as expressions of their freedom, just like you will.
What these people hate more than anything are those who do not agree with them... they cannot handle freedom, because freedom is not about them, it is about everyone.
We have seen it in here. People who cannot handle something as simple as someone disagreeing with them. In a free society it is simple, if you don't like a TV program, you don't watch it; if you don't like a radio station, you don't listen to it; if you don't like a certain type of film, don't go and if you don't like guns, you just don't buy one.
I agree with some of this and disagree with others.

First of all, it is stupid for people to think they know how to control other people's lives or tell people how to live "the right way", because there isn't a single way. That goes for both ways. Some societies can function perfectly with guns and some can function perfectly without guns.

Yes, a lot of talk on gun control is about controlling other people but a lot of it is also safety. We should be able to protect yourself but you can't just own something because you can. I can't own a nuke because 50 million other lives should not be put in danger because I am on a power trip and are pathetically attempting to justify it by saying I should be able to own it because I can.

I am very strongly against total gun control but there are limits. You have every right (as much as I hate saying someone has rights) to protect yourself but there is a limit. Owning a rocket launcher has nothing to do with protection unless you are planning on protecting yourself against an armored vehicle which is ludicrous. You don't need an automatic weapon to protect yourself, you just need a pistol or a rifle and a few good shots.

When it comes to personal items that are made to kill another animal, you should only use what you need. To go above that level is a display of power, which is just as bad as gun control.

Quote:
We have seen it in here. People who cannot handle something as simple as someone disagreeing with them. In a free society it is simple, if you don't like a TV program, you don't watch it; if you don't like a radio station, you don't listen to it; if you don't like a certain type of film, don't go and if you don't like guns, you just don't buy one.
You are missing the point. I am not scared of guns and I don't want some banned and regulated because I don't like them. A TV program can not kill someone, a radio station can not kill someone, a film can not kill someone, a gun can kill someone. Take drunk driving for example. You can say, if you don't like drunk driving then don't do it, but by you drinking and driving you are putting everyone else's life in danger. Some people can handle drinking and driving and some can't, which is why we have a law. Some people can handle guns in a safe manner and some can't, that is why we have regulations.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #461
rkzenrage

Driving is not a protected right, gun ownership is. Many things can kill, chainsaws, knives, baseball bats... The regulations you are talking about for guns are already in place. In may area, far too many.
If regular citizens don't need automatic weapons, neither do the police. You made an excellent argument there... however I am getting my class 3 license.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #462
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Driving is not a protected right, gun ownership is. Many things can kill, chainsaws, knives, baseball bats... The regulations you are talking about for guns are already in place. In may area, far too many.
Chainsaws, knives, and baseball bats can kill, but just because something has the potential to kill doesn't mean that it has to be banned. If an item proves to be used in many killings whether intentional or unintentional, looking into regulations and banning may be necessary for that particular society to function more efficiently. If only one person died from drunk driving a year it wouldn't have been banned even if it posed the same threat to other drivers. If there was only one gun death a year, there would be no talk about it.

Intentions also have a part in it. Chainsaws, knives, and baseball bats are made for other purposes other than killing.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #463
rkzenrage

So are guns.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #464
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I said "made for".

Chainsaws were made to cut down trees.
Knives were made to cut food, branches, etc.
Baseball bats were made to hit baseballs.
Cars were made for transporation.
Guns were made to kill.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #465
Happy Monkey

If a gun were made that could do everything it can currently do other than killing, would that be an improvement?

The answer is yes for chainsaws, knives, baseball bats, and cars.
|_______________| [pics]