The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #436
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Cannibal the Musical. Wonderfully funny, especially if you were an RTF major in college. It's like Salieri and Mozart--only once you've experienced enough mediocre junior-year college films can you appreciate the genuine talent and potential hiding behind this one.

Read or Die (an anime series)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #437
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sympathy for Lady Vengence - Third film in the revenge trilogy. Not my favorite of the three. Oldboy is the best of them.

(I also enjoyed Cannibal. You could see the signs of later greatness in those boys ...)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #438
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

I saw Ridley Scott's new film (new here anyway) "A Good Year" - featuring Russell Crowe.

Do your self a favour and sont see this movie. Time could better be spent eating or sleeping.

Ridley scott is a great action director (black hawk down/ gladiator etc) but this movie doesnt know weather its a comedy (no laugs though), a drama, a romace or a mystery. It the end, it ends up being none of the above.

Looking forward to Bra Boys though..

Last edited by Sun_Sparkz; 03-19-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: name spelling
Sun_Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #439
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Departed

Wow. Just wow. There are so many intriciate twists that it's not possible (or allowable, because of spoilers) to describe.

Wow.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #440
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Please do not think any less of me because I watched The Ringer and actually enjoyed it.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #441
jinx
Come on, cat.

Tutankhamun Official exhibition dvd.
I wish I had watched this before going to the exhibition... LJ didn't go with us though, so maybe we'll go again, now that we know what all the stuff is.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #442
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Spider is one of those strange sorts of movies that you don't know immediately if you like it. It both compels and repels, and gives you a lot to think about. The story unfolds like a spring flower opening it's petals, or it unpeels itself like an onion, I'm not sure which. Ralph Fiennes can sit on a bare stage and fidget for two hours and I'd find it fascinating. He does more than fidget in this movie, but has very little actual dialog, but still manages to give full expression to the character he plays.

Spider is a David Cronenberg film. So you're ready to be interested and grossed out at the same time. There's very little actual gore, no monkeys turned inside out or televisions spewing animal intestines at inopportune moments. The horror is all inside Spider's head, and ultimately, in yours as well.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #443
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
The Departed

Wow. Just wow. There are so many intriciate twists that it's not possible (or allowable, because of spoilers) to describe.

Wow.
Yeppers. Good 'un.

Just saw Saints and Soldiers. Very good stuff. I was afraid we were gonna drft into one of those WWII platoon across America fliks but no this was solid. All thumbs up.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #444
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Today, I saw bits and pieces of Empire Records. Seemed more of an '80s style flick than 1995, with a fun soundtrack--I'll have to watch the whole thing one of these days.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #445
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Spider is a David Cronenberg film. So you're ready to be interested and grossed out at the same time. There's very little actual gore, no monkeys turned inside out or televisions spewing animal intestines at inopportune moments. The horror is all inside Spider's head, and ultimately, in yours as well.
Oh oh....a cronenburg I haven't seen! That's a must.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #446
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Has anybody seen 'Stranger than Fiction' yet? I am thinking i might give that a go.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #447
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I've been wanting to, but it's too popular at the store, so I can't take it home yet. I hear it's really funny.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #448
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Over the past year, Depeche Mode has remastered their catalog. The remasters come with DVDs that include mini-movies in which the band and their peeps (producers, record company folks, etc.) reflect on the album. The latest ones (Black Celebration and Construction Time Again) came out 2 weeks ago. I think these two particular mini-movies are the best ones yet, though there are still 2 more releases to come out (Ultra and Exciter).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #449
glatt

Saw Lawrence of Arabia over the weekend. Took two nights to watch. Decent movie. Really gives you a sense of the place. I wish I had a larger TV screen though. Lots of sweeping desert scenes. It starts off with a lot of promise and is really good, but then kind of dies off in a whimper. We got a Netflicks membership for Christmas, and I'm trying to catch up on the classics I've never seen.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #450
tissy_uk
Cantankerous Incantonator

I got my lad Borat for easter so just watched that with him, not as funny as I was hoping

Tags
movies