The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #436
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
But...Michael got lazy. As far as I was able to tell, he died of shame for what he was no longer able to produce.
I think he fell into the typical trap of trying to expand into other creative industries for no good reason. He was a major producer/writer on the TV drama ER (at least in the early years, I don't know if he stayed on forever,) and some others. I got the impression he really wanted to do more movies rather than write more books. The book quality definitely suffered--I thought Next was positively stupid. Still, I was very sad to hear he'd died. I had held out hope that the wisdom of years would help him focus on writing again and he could put out another great one.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #437
glatt

I'd have to disagree with you Elspode, Sphere was a bad book.

But I give the guy props. I loved Jurassic Park, Adromedra Strain was a fun read, and his movies and ER were good.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #438
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My memory of Terminal Man was that it was also really good, though I read it when I was relatively young.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #439
Bruce 9012
Living in the blast crater

From coast to coast AM..?
Bruce 9012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #440
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Crichton was once a genius. His works post-Jurassic Park were not good. "Sphere" was a decent book and one of the worst films ever made, despite a great cast.

I've wonderful memories of Crichton's creations, starting with "The Andromeda Strain". His directorial effort of his own work, "The Great Train Robbery" starring Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland and Leslie Ann Down is still one of my favorite films.

But...Michael got lazy. As far as I was able to tell, he died of shame for what he was no longer able to produce.

That's very atypically unfair and disrespectful for me, and I apologize.
I don't think he had anything to be ashamed of given his body of work.

Take a look at the list of his books on wiki.

If it was a downward trend, then it was pretty short. I really like most of his stuff right up until State of Fear. I've read both State of Fear and Next. I thought both jumped around too much.

On the other hand, I really liked both Prey and Timeline which were the books just previous.

I really think it's more a case of no one hitting a home-run every time.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #441
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I liked Timeline, I thought it was thrilling. But the whole time I read it, I thought, OK he's writing another hit movie. Jurassic Park set in history. They should still make this one IMO.

I liked Congo alright, but the whole time I read it, I thought, this would really be impossible to make into a movie. And then they made it into a movie... and the movie sucked.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #442
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'd have to disagree with you Elspode, Sphere was a bad book.

But I give the guy props. I loved Jurassic Park, Adromedra Strain was a fun read, and his movies and ER were good.
Oh, I give full credit for his earlier stuff for sure. The Great Train Robbery was a brilliant example of his directorial skills, and I watch Andromeda Strain (written by Crichton) at least annually.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #443
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I liked Timeline, I thought it was thrilling. But the whole time I read it, I thought, OK he's writing another hit movie. Jurassic Park set in history. They should still make this one IMO.
A movie version came out in 2003 and from what I remember, it was awful.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #444
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dang! I wasn't even aware of it. They should make a good version.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #445
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Miriam Makeba 1932-2008

I am sad.

Photograph by Mark Oppenheimer / (c) public domain
Attached Images

Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:32 AM   #446
Apollo
i need friends

michael crichton and george carlin... i sobbed when george died.
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #447
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Wednesday Nov,12th 2008

Mitch Mitchell, the iconic drummer who provided the explosive heartbeat of the Jimi Hendrix Experience on rock classics including "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "Purple Haze," was found dead early Wednesday in a Portland hotel room.
Mitchell, 61, who pioneered a fusion style that allowed him and one of history's greatest guitar players to feed off each other, died of natural causes, the Multnomah County medical examiner said. He was found about 3 a.m. in his room at the Benson Hotel in downtown Portland.
Considered one of rock's greatest drummers, Mitchell was behind the kit at Hendrix's legendary sets at Woodstock, Monterey and the Isle of Wight.

Sad because I guess he said he wasn't feeling well at a concert and was dead a couple days later.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:29 AM   #448
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriveyn View Post
Miriam Makeba 1932-2008
I saw in Boston, on her first US tour, with Harry Belefonte. Amazing voice.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #449
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have a horrible feeling I didn't even register this here, but Geoffrey Perkins' passing was noted in my heart, and he was mourned in style at the Comedy Awards recently. I was watching it with my parents and Mum started talking over it. I politely asked her to wait til the tribute was over (I was polite, really).

Afterwards both she and Dad said they had no idea he was so important to British comedy and were sorry he'd died. I can't find the tribute on YouTube sadly.

Personally, I "knew" him from Radio Active (I have no idea why the Beeb haven't released it on CD!) At the end of every show was a list of the cast and of course the producer. Because Geoffrey Perkins was mentioned in both capacities, his name was bound to stick in my mind, especially as I listened to the tapes (technically bootlegs) over and over again. I could still sing you some Radio Active jingles if you like... I can also quote large swathes of Wahey! It's Saturday! but I fear they might lose something in the translation.

ANYWAY.

This man was a giant amongst comedy producers.
Sorry all I have is a radio broadcast. But he wouldn't be.

BTW if you haven't yet discovered Father Ted, get ye to a DVD store!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #450
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Goodnight to Star Trek regular and muse, Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana Troi... Majel Barrett Roddenberry.

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....