The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #31
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

They're adorable! I'm so glad you haven't cut the horns off them, but don't turn your back because goats think it's really funny to rush up behind you and butt.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #32
Griff
still says videotape

Daisy accidentally nailed me in the chest Saturday. It's like they're always cocked. Considering the marks I have at the end of the work week, de nada. I keep missing great pics. Molly bounced almost staight up in the air and landed solid atop the metal garbage can we put their grain in. These are some serious circus folk.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If I had a goat I would name it Sylvia
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #34
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Toad, we need a GOAT icon here
Old 10-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #35
Griff
still says videotape

Wait until Santarum reads that one. He just may have time to catch up on his reading soon.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #36
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Your chest?! Isn't that uncomfortably close to your face? I can't imagine having one of these things going off in my nose/teeth/eyes/forehead. I'd be flat out on my back with little cartoon goats prancing in a circle around my mashed brain.

How did they catch you in the chest?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

I was leaning over her removing her leash. She may look bigger in the pics than she really is. They're only about 2' at the shoulder right now.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #38
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

So Griff, I am also charmed by them. Could one be a city pet? I reckon I don't have any chance to keep more than one. Are they ok alone? Will I run out of grass?

I know a couple of friends who keep chickens in their backyards and potbelly pigs were chic a while back. But your goats are off the scale adorable. What do you think?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:13 PM   #39
Griff
still says videotape

They need company but human company will do. They really love bushes not grass so if you have any shrubs, they're gone day one. The minatures (pygmies) stay pretty tiny, mine are going to get pretty big. I really don't know how they handle confined lots, maybe search some breeder info on the net?

http://www.theminiaturegoatclub.com/home.html
Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #40
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

I've heard that goats can be litterbox trained, but I don't have any proof of that. Their poopies are similar to rabbits, easy enough to clean up, but urine can be a problem. They also have very strong scent glands on some males, so that can be a consideration. Considering how innovative these guys are about climbing or jumping over things, it would be hard to keep them in your urban yard without escapes. Most cities also have laws against having anything listed as a farm animal within the city limits, as I discovered in Phoenix when I bought some chickens for our Border Collie to herd.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #41
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

local shelter goats

I searched high and low and found no objections to goats in Seattle's online resources. I know some barnyard animals are ok, cause I know families with chickens just blocks away. I will call the shelter in the morning and talk to someone.

Maybe a pair of miniature angora goats. Hehe. I crack myself up. I haven't even talked to SWMBO yet. I might have to book a room at that shelter myself. We'll see.

Thanks a ton Griff!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:47 AM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just because she's okay with Slizzie, don't assume that SWMBO will be as enthralled with something that needs regular grooming and that you have to run after with a shovel.

I find the idea of being able to spin yarn and then knit a sweater somewhat attractive.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:54 AM   #43
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Not a shovel, Wolf, actually a dust pan is what those 4H'ers at the Fair used.

But goats DO eat snakes, V, (they eat just about anything except the tin cans that the cartoons show, or at least stomp on it pretty well). The minis I saw at the Fair were no larger than a Maine Coon cat, maybe they were still rather young, but I don't know what kind of temperament they have. The ones I saw just looked afraid of being stepped on
Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 AM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
They've got 35 goats at the shelter?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #45
Griff
still says videotape

Hmmmm... that could be a strike against. Any shot of getting the goat aquisition through parliment?