The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #31
perth
Strong Silent Type

McDonald's has recently started adding the "tip" line to credit card receipts. What the fuck? Who does this (imaginary) money go to? I just mark a slash through it and go on my merry way. But I worked there in high school, and when I'm tempted to write "Get out before they fuck you some more" I speak form experience.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Think of it as paying them not to have sex with your food.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:04 PM   #33
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I find it frightening that there is such a thing as a "McDonalds Credit Card Receipt."

I saw a cardswipe machine in a KFC a couple months ago. In addition to VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, and major ATM brands, it took PA-ACCESS*. I found that frightening.

* Pennsylvania's Electronic Food Stamp Card.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:41 AM   #34
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

The Quiznos that I slave at takes credit cards too. Sometimes for good reason; there are people who come in and buy four or five sandwiches at a time. That can bring a pretty hefty price tag. Others prefer to use plastic to avoid carrying money or paying a fee at the ATM (I cash my paycheck, then deposit what I don't need in cash in my checking acct, where it is immediately siphoned off by bills). Don't get me started on party platters either.

God, let this school go faster! I want my CDL! Dammit! NOW!

OTOH, I could live in Montana, where there is all of FOUR HOURS of training required to pass the CDL test, license included, and a road test not worthy of the name. SHUDDER
Old 09-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #35
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I almost never carry cash. I have direct deposit, and ATM fees piss me off. Besides, the only place I've gone in recent years that doesn't take credit cards is Chick-fil-a... so I just don't go there anymore.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #36
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have direct deposit too ... but it's still nobody's damn business what I'm buying. Will my extremely rare fast food purchases come back to haunt me some day? Probably not, but I'm still not comfortable with documentation being available.

Oh, and always pay cash for ammo.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #37
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

How long are those databases kept, I wonder? Does the "seven years for tax purposes" apply to corporations too? I mean, do they have a record somewhere of what store my first credit card purchase ever was in?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:34 PM   #38
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A while back (probably around 2000), just for shits and giggles, I asked the Science Fiction Book Club for a complete printout of all my purchases.

It was a huge sheaf of paper ... and went back to 1982. I had joined in 1978 or 79.