The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-18-2003, 07:06 PM   #31
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
No prob. It's in your first post in the thread, where you say
My math is wrong in the first post in this thread? Way to take a phrase out of context UT. Come on, at least try to follow the conversation. The first post didn't have anthing to do with number or graphs.

As for handing them the gun, yeah, we did. Here, let me point it out to you.
Quote:
The US not only helped arm Iraq with military equipment right up to the time of the Kuwait invasion in 1989, as did Germany, Britain, France, Russia and others, but also sold and helped Iraq to integrate chemical weapons into their US-provided battle plans while fighting Iran between 1985-1988.

Reporter Russ Baker noted, for example, that, "on July 3, 1991, the Financial Times reported that a Florida company run by an Iraqi national had produced cyanide -- some of which went to Iraq for use in chemical weapons -- and had shipped it via a CIA contractor." This was just the tip of a mountain of scandals.
But do I really need to keep pointing shit like this out? What, you're saying the US didn't arm Iraq? That's just absurd. The point is: If you sell someone a weapon, knowning what they're going to use it for, and they use it for something "evil", you're at least partially to blame.

I just can't understand why you feel the need to keep white-washing the US as you do. They're pure as the driven snow in your eyes, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why you see it that way.

Fucking-A man, spend two seconds on Google with keywords like "iraq" "weapons" "US" etc etc. It's not that hard a concept. I'm not making all this shit up.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:35 PM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No doubt. But to ignore the scope, to claim it's all blowback, to say it means we can't continue to engage, to search for any little tidbit and call that the foul? That's dishonest.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:31 AM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Is this pretense on or off the table?

MSNBC

Dec. 17 - A widely publicized Iraqi document that purports to show that September 11 hijacker Mohammed Atta visited Baghdad in the summer of 2001 is probably a fabrication that is contradicted by U.S. law-enforcement records showing Atta was staying at cheap motels and apartments in the United States when the trip presumably would have taken place, according to U.S. law enforcement officials and FBI documents.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:52 AM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I put it on three days ago when it showed up with the thought that it was probably bogus. (Go me)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #35
Griff
still says videotape

Good man!
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:41 PM   #36
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
No doubt. But to ignore the scope, to claim it's all blowback, to say it means we can't continue to engage, to search for any little tidbit and call that the foul? That's dishonest.
GW is that you? I have no idea what the hell you just tried to say.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 03:05 PM   #37
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:

I thought it was all about the bullshit pretense of WMD. Can't you anti-war people keep your bullshit pretenses straight?

(Answer: no, because you keep ignoring the real reason for the war.

The real reason for the war is Middle East transformation.)
The reason we're confused is the story from the White House keeps changing.

At first it was %90 WMD, with a few vaque accusations about terrorist ties. The possible uranium purchase was mixed in there somewhere. The trigger was a report of a WMD with a 45 minute prep time.

Now that no WMD's have been found, it's all about freedom and nation-building.

If the Presidents critics seem to be wandering around, it's because we are simply trying to keep track of the changing story out of the White House.

Bush wants everyone to believe that this war was all about freedom for Iraq in the same way everyone believes that the American Civil War was all about freedom for southern slaves.

Its a nice story but that doesn't make it true, or worth thousands of live and hundreds of billions of dollars (future cost over 10 years).
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote