The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-07-2003, 02:58 PM   #31
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Nah Syc, in Bruces post 'Equitable' means 'I'll get mine'. Which, unless you're a politician, or the good friend of one, isn't Communism. Not in the real world anyway. Kinda capitalistic actually...
Old 09-07-2003, 03:05 PM   #32
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I was referring to the concept as a whole, not Bruce's comment in particular.

Not like Christianity is any better...they're like conservative extremists...bastard Christians!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 03:17 PM   #33
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Oh c'mon Syc, just Juju out on us completely here and say, "Batard Religious People!" You know you want to...
Old 09-07-2003, 03:19 PM   #34
elSicomoro

Nah, I'll one up that...

All of those involved in organized forms of worship must be eradicated from the face of the earth.

How's that?
Old 09-07-2003, 04:22 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Goshes golly guys, I just wanted Bill Gates to send Syc a check. A large check.:p

Seriously there's no harm in hoping (praying) that the people with excess wealth decide to distribute some of it, in a way that benefits ones self. Your not wishing any ill on anybody or trying to deprive them of what's rightfully theirs.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 09-07-2003 at 04:31 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #36
elSicomoro

I think vaccinating third world children is much more important than giving me money...not that I would refuse it though.

I think it's important to give back if you have the means to do so. But that's just me personally...these days, it seems expected--almost demanded, really--from the wealthy.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:35 PM   #37
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Nah, I'll one up that...

All of those involved in organized forms of worship must be eradicated from the face of the earth.

How's that?
Whew! Thank all that is holy that Paganism can in no way be described as organized! Guess us Wiccans are safe... :p
Old 09-07-2003, 10:38 PM   #38
Elspode

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
      Interesting. I find I really like the soft approach in use here. I also really like the willingness to accept it if it doesn't come. Seems realistic to me.
      Question: you say "universe wants" do you mean Goddess/God or are you refering to some natural balancing that doesn't actually have a mind per se, just evening things like a scale does. In natural response to weight?
From my point of view, the it is the latter. There is a natural balance and order to things (although I cannot completely discount the possibility of an order of intelligence operating somewhere within the grand scheme of things...an order of which our own minds are a part, but of which we are not overtly aware).

Since we are a part of all that there is, then our actions (say, an abundance spell) are also a part of the natural order, and we are just trying to bring abundance to ourselves via natural methods, with an equitable and balanced result.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:42 PM   #39
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Learning...

Els..

I was wondering, I've got a bunch of questions about Wicca and the Celtic Paths. If I got them together, and posted them here, would you be willing to discuss them?

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:34 PM   #40
Elspode

I would be happy to answer any and all questions. If I don't know the answer (or have an opinion that *sounds* like an answer), I'll say "I dunno"...

Break the list up into small parts for my small mind and short attention span, though.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #41
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Okay Ep, so if our minds are part of the order and requesting the abundance is natural... So, is nature pushing our buttons to make us take a balancing action? That borders on predestination. Or would we be enjoying abundance like a wolf enjoying deer overpopulation and thus bringing things back to balance only to risk hunger next year?
      I know this is getting pretty deep in, but I'm much more interested in the psychology than the trapings of any given religion, philosophy or belief system.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:06 AM   #42
juju
no one of consequence

Maybe if LOVEBUGZ deletes enough posts, then later on she'll actually be able to convince people that she is a victim.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:16 AM   #43
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Don't know what you're talking about Juju. Hey I was just going over the thread and I've become a bit concearned. Dagney seems to be talking to herself. Also, your initial post makes no sense whatsoever in context and I just realized that I jumped Bruce's ass about needing verification for no reason whatsoever. Go figure. Strange thread...
Old 09-08-2003, 02:25 AM   #44
juju
no one of consequence

Perhaps if I delete <i>my</i> posts whenever I make myself look like a fool, then people won't think I'm a fool?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:31 AM   #45
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
Dagney seems to be talking to herself.
I seem to do that a lot lately. I blame it on HIPAA implementation.

Either that, or I'm finally losing what little grasp on reality I DO have

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote