The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-11-2003, 01:02 PM   #31
dave

sycamore says:

"Dem peeps up at yo site be feelin' my shizzle on they nizzle real soon now, yo."

I ran it through Babelfish's "Spanish to Ebonix" translator.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:51 PM   #32
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yes, that would be the SoCal/Snoop Dogg dialect of Ebonics...it'll get you around in SoCal, but you really have to learn proper Ebonics...so says Rho. It's kinda like Austrian German and Swiss German...you have NYC Ebonics, Philadelphia Ebonics, and the hardest to understand--Dirty South Ebonics.

It'll be interesting posting to that site. I'm curious to see what these folks have to say about the war happenings...it'll give the War Diary more depth. I don't think they'll understand my humor though...and I haven't used Spanish extensively for some time.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 06:28 PM   #33
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
I guess this is what I get for voting Nader. Oh well, I hope War and the Patriot Act aren't too high a cost for planting the seeds of real representation.
Yes, but look on the bright side. By voting Green you will benefit from all of the oil drilling in ANWAR.

You can bet that the Greens will be getting some extra funding next year from anonymous donors. All of Cheneys friends will be spending some of the dough they made off of the sweetheart deals for the reconstruction to make sure there is a strong centrist and/or liberal party running alongside the Democrats to siphon off votes.

I really do support third party candidates, and with less at stake I would say help them make that %2 for matching funds. But we are looking at nothing less than the soul of America in this next election. With a conservative-leaning Republican majority in both houses, about the only thing even remotely reigning in this administration is the prospect of running for re-election.

Now imagine this adminstration in its final term. Bush does not have to worry about re-election and Cheney knows with his health he could not run for President. So they have nothing to lose.

Now how scary is that?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:38 PM   #34
juju
no one of consequence

Sir, I am a stubborn man. When my mom told me I couldn't leave the table until I cleaned my plate and ate my vegetables, I sat there staring at the wall for four hours, until she finally stormed in and told me to go to bed.

So, it that same vein, I will still vote Green. Because fuck 'em. I can wait. We'll just see how many elections it takes to freak the Democrats out.

:)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 02:05 AM   #35
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
So, it that same vein, I will still vote Green. Because fuck 'em. I can wait. We'll just see how many elections it takes to freak the Democrats out.
That's gonna be a tough smoke for the DNC. They have to find a way to embrace the platform of the Greens without losing the hard-sought center. I don't imagine it will be an easy sell. The center seems to be annoyed with the extremis on either edge.

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:36 AM   #36
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
sycamore says:

"Dem peeps up at yo site be feelin' my shizzle on they nizzle real soon now, yo."

I ran it through Babelfish's "Spanish to Ebonix" translator.
One of the saddest things I encounter at work are those unfortunate white children who talk black ... It's just SILLY. It's been a year or two since I'd dealt with a kid like this, so I thought the trend had passed.

Was dealing with one the other day. She said "yo, yo" a lot, referred to "her crew" and otherwise used pronounciation, cadence and physical gesturing associated with inner city black patois. (The rest of the story is unnecessary to go into here, but suffice it to say that her family, although living in a rowhome, appear to have misplaced their trailer).

I was commenting on this as part of the clinical information I was giving to the female staff member who was doing her admission, who happened to be black, and she advised me of a term that I had never heard before ... "Oh, yeah. One of those. We call them 'Whiggers.'"

Took me a LONG while to stop laughing.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 10:55 AM   #37
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
One of the saddest things I encounter at work are those unfortunate white children who talk black ... It's just SILLY.
I was one of those unfortunate people at one point...actually, I was a motherfucking pioneer in that field! I was doing that shit (1990-1991) when these little bitches doing it today were in fucking training pants.

Fortunately, it only lasted a short time.

However, being an adopted member of the African-American community, I reserve the right to use Ebonics at any time without scorn. It says so on my Good Whitey card.

Back in high school, my friends and I would take rap/ghetto lingo and put it into "white-speak." It was rather funny...in fact, that's pretty much how Dave and I carry on now.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 01:39 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Some years ago I spent several weeks in Madrid and Oropesa. I walked the streets late at night with no fear. Franco had been dead for about 6 years but I was told by the locals that the police were supreamly powerful. They had great latitude in metering out punishment, on the spot, if they decided you were guilty of something. Also, I believe the Spanish Revolution was heavily influenced by outsides (read Nazis) but even many years after his death, Franco is loved and missed by many.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

This Just In

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still valiantly holding on in his fight to remain dead.

(sorry. I all of a sudden got nostaligic over the days when SNL was consistently funny.)

EDIT: When I posted this I had not yet read this thread.

Synchronicity. Cool.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:49 AM   #40
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by smoothmoniker

That's gonna be a tough smoke for the DNC. They have to find a way to embrace the platform of the Greens without losing the hard-sought center. I don't imagine it will be an easy sell. The center seems to be annoyed with the extremis on either edge.

-sm

I think that the actions of the current administration are enough to shock some of the left wing, and right wing into some sense. The Democrats do not have to move to the left. If they stay in the center they will pick up a number of the 'true conservatives' who believe the government should just leave people alone.

I'm not a Libertarian, since I believe that we need a government to protect us from other governments as well as large corporations who could otherwise work the system to gut safety regs, environment regs, etc.

However, we do have too many laws on the books which interfere with peoples rights to be left alone in their own homes. The liberals embrace political correctness and want to limit 'hate speech'. The conservatives want laws against sodomy, soft drugs, etc, even when done in the home. However, the Libertarian ideal is flawed by assuming that eliminating most rules would be an improvement. If my neighbor decided to build an unlicensed toxic waste facility on his property, and promised I would not be affected, and did not have to even post a bond against future damages, what would my recourse be without the law? Would I have to wait for damage to occur before taking action? (BTW, this is not an endorsement for a first strike response, which is a different issue in scope and the effects on civilians).

I think if you could point out to both sides that the amount of freedom you get is the exact amount you are willing to extend to the people whose words or actions you despise, we could agree to shore up the first and fourth amendments and you would get a lot of left and right wingers supporting the center.

If the Greens think that blackmailing a moderate Democratic party into moving to the left is a good idea when the Democrats can pick up these dissatisfied voters, and if the Greens are willing to reelect one of the most un-Constitutional, right-wing regimes (I like that word) in US history, which may have a chance to appoint a Supreme Court justice next term, then I say fuck 'em.

I want to see good government. I want to everyone acknowledge that a police state does not guarantee safety any more than it ended the 'war on drugs' which we have been losing for 20 years, and keep the ideals of the Constitution intact. If the Greens think that clinging to their agenda in this next election to gain an extra point is worth causing this much devastation, then they have a serious problem.

To the extent that the Green party wishes to reform environmental rules and government's attachment to big business, I think the Democrats can and should accomodate them. This adminstration has made such links even more obvious than before and even conservatives are a little sickened by it. If the Democrats could provide such reform, not only the Greens but conservatives like McCain might be moved to endorse the Democratic candidate.

I think that the great upswell of support for the president is mainly due to confusion of support-the-troops, support-the-war, etc. Some people do not wish to seem unpatriotic. I believe this will change when people get into the voting booth.

With Haliburton and other deals being scrutinized, I think people are going to become a little more suspicious of, if not the motives, the post-war choices made in handing out contracts. If you read the British press, they are asking a lot tougher questions than our press, which in general has really rolled over while the war was on.

Considering that the British took a higher percentage of casualties, they are going to look very carefully at who is making money off of this.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 04-13-2003 at 10:54 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:23 AM   #41
Urbane Guerrilla

A good post, Richlevy. I differ with you on some points in it, but am just going to confine myself to commenting on one of them: shore up not only the First and Fourth Amendments, but the Second as well. An empowered electorate is an effective electorate, and an electorate with the power of life and death is the most effective of all. An electorate deprived of the power of life and death has fewer (some would say no -- at the end of the day, I fall into that camp) recourses to keep its government accountable for its governance, fewer means of keeping its government in its proper place as a provider of certain services, these being the sort that are agreed to be necessary, but are unprofitable in themselves. Such an electorate is on its way to being ruled by an oligarchy.