The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #31
monster
I hear them call the tide

From the Menu Of Flying Spaghetti Monster, second page, Lunch Specials, just below the splodge of Carbonara:
Quote:
Yea verily and I say unto thee: The cheese of the cottage that is without fat is unholy and sucketh of the ass. The cheese of the swiss is holy and mustest thou smite before thee all those who would unfatten it. Let not thine enemies, enemas or anenomes create false cheeses, nor let them preach of fruit. Henceforth Fr**t shall be known as the F word.
Ramen (with a little grated full fat cheddar or colby jack.)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

You funny gurl.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #33
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
infinite monkey

"If feelin' the love is wrong then I don't ever want to be right!"

Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I like low fat cottage cheese. Bought some today. With pineapple.
I think it's a bit like drinking skimmed milk - once you get use to it, it's your go-to. Tastes a bit watery to start with, but if you try to switch back everything is SOOOOOO creamy!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

once you get used to it...
Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #37
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

It only takes about three weeks to change your tastes; then you don't crave the fat and salt. But you can't have even a little in that time, or your brain just keeps craving.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I had to go salt free for a year. When I would occasionally brush up against 'hidden' salt I was astounded at how salty some things were. Bread, for instance. The littlest amount of salt can go a long way if you aren't habituated to it.

Same with sugar, if you go off sweeteners for a while you notice it in things where it has no place being.

Still, the whole point of milk and cheese is the richness. (get it? the whole point?)

I still think that eating skimmed foods is like sneaking into the theater without paying. As I used to say at the bakery to folks who'd ask if we made whole wheat chocolate chip cookies (we did), "If you need the fiber from a whole wheat chocolate chip cookie, then you're eating too many cookies."
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #39
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
As I used to say at the bakery to folks who'd ask if we made...
Baker? What job haven't you had?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #40
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Baker? What job haven't you had?
You know, glatt when I was a kid my dad was always telling stories about "When I was working on... " and I used to think to myself that eh was full of shit, no one could ever have worked at so many jobs. Then one day in my late 20s I was at a party talking to someone and I realized in the space of a conversation I'd just mentioned three different jobs I'd had and could see the look of disbelief on their face, and realized that my dad probably did have all those jobs.

I'm a restless soul. I've lived in over 50 different places, some as short as a month. The house I'm in now is the longest time I spent anywhere apart from where I did most of my childhood, but if I'm here in two years it will beat my childhood home, making the longest I've stayed anywhere about 14 years.

The shortest lived job I've ever had was three hours as a dishwasher in a restaurant in Glacier National Park. While I stuck with baking for about four years, it was at four different bakeries.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you're saying you can't hold a job, eh.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
glatt

Do odd jobs count?

I worked for about 4 hours helping move furniture and merchandise into a Victoria's Secret that was opening in a brand new mall. I got the job because I knew somebody who knew somebody. They didn't let me unpack the undies though. Just the lotions. The hardest part of that day was moving some antique china cabinet up a dead escalator because it didn't fit in the elevator. They were going to use it for a display case. Pain in the ass. But I made about $30 that day. Whoo!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #43
infinite monkey

I think I've done a bit of everything too.

When the apocalypse comes, you'll want me for all your strawberry picking, cashiering, bartending, cooking, DOD contract assembly and testing, picture selling, porta-john assembly, and FA needs.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #44
infinite monkey

I finally got chicken at the new wing place, yesterday after my doc appt.

I got chicken tenders with buffalo sauce...it was really good. Their saratoga chips, not so much. The ones at the country club were thin-sliced, lightly-browned, crispy, and warm pieces of potato heaven. These were more like kettle chips. Which I don't like. Too hard crunchy.