The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #31
lookout123
changed his status to single

It seems to me that a leader would stand and make a point by drawing attention to the issue of bills being pushed through improperly, rather than meekly voting "present" and going about his day.

Trust me, I don't want Bush/Clinton part deux... but I'm not willing to just say "hey look! there's a guy who hasn't held office long enough to piss too many people off, let's make HIM president."

I don't think any of those three are ideal for the job, but we've got to pick someone. I understand everyone has to hold their nose and pick someone I just don't get the whole Obama/Messiah phenomenon.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #32
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Here's the way I see it. Clinton is a bitter, nasty, bitch who is in tight with the old-school political machine. She lies about having snipers fire on her, she has been involved in shady real estate deals where the witnesses mysteriously died before they could testify. She is well-acquainted with those who create back room dirty deals and she's ready to work with them on day 1 so we can get more of the same.

McCain is an out of touch old geezer who thinks the war in Iraq is a great idea and has said we should stay for 100 years. He is a racist who calls Vietnamese people gooks. He turned his back on veterans even though he is one in order to save a few billion, but has no problem with us spending a trillion in Iraq in an unnecessary, unwarranted, unprovoked, and unconstitutional war. He barely has a thought in his head or a hair on his head and he too would bring us more of the same.

Then we've got Obama. He's more young, vibrant, energetic, articulate, intelligent, classy, and dynamic than the other candidates. He's an excellent orator (which should be a requirement of being president), he is well-respected throughout the world, and let's face it, as a black guy who plays basketball he makes America look cooler. He genuinely cares about people in need. He has spent years working with underprivileged people in Chicago. He is everything that George W. Bush isn't....educated, cool, popular, charismatic, respected, etc.

He's exactly the person we need to fix the damage Bush has done to America's reputation around the world, and to improve race relations here and abroad. I realize he's not a Muslim, but perhaps having the middle-name Hussein and his wanting to get us out of Iraq (where we never belonged in the first place) will make Muslim terrorists less likely to attack.

He is by far the best of the 3 candidates. I don't think he's the messiah. In fact I don't think there is such a thing. I just know that I'll take him in a minute over the other two.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #33
warch
lurkin old school

I'd still go Hillary, but I know plenty others, younguns that would just opt out. Apparently here too. And that would be a cryin shame.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #34
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I agree with Lookout. I don't think Obama is any sort of savior. He is a neo-liberal and has many advisers that display hawkish behavior. He many be against movements in Iraq and Iran but I really doubt he will be against all the smaller campaigns that won't make the evening news every night.

As far as I'm concerned, Obama is just another politician and my view will not change until he can prove me wrong if he gets elected. Bottom line, Obama is too good to be true.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 AM   #35
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Your cynicism is showing.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #36
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
He is a racist who calls Vietnamese people gooks.
Cite. That is an extremely derogatory statement to make - even for you. Put up or retract.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #37
glatt

Google is your friend. It was widely reported.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #38
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I stand corrected...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #39
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Hitlery vs. Obama

Enjoy!

Deathmatch 2008

http://www.nypost.com/spsections/hill_vs_obama/
Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #40
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Is he talking about all Vietnamese people, or just the ones who tortured him for five and a half years?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #41
Ibby
erika

I HATE NIGGERS!

no, no. youre taking me out of context! to me, niggers just means those black people who stole my wallet!

...im not buying it.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #42
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That would be too bad about your wallet, but when you are tortured for five and a half years I will be here to give you the benefit of doubt.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #43
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Cite. That is an extremely derogatory statement to make - even for you. Put up or retract.
Actually he's been nailed for that one pretty frequently and he's unapologetic about it. While I detest this and all use of racial slurs, I will at least give him a half point of respect back for the fact he doesn't grovel and say it was a one off mistake that will never happen again after rehab and sensitivity training.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #44
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Your cynicism is showing.
I'm not a cynic. I just don't believe that a US president will change anything. If there is going to be change, the US population will have to stand up and take matters into their own hands.

Just by looking at Obama's key phrase you can see it. Change does not happen overnight. Change cannot happen from a small group of individuals. Change, in the sense that is being used, is sociological movement where the the majority has to take part if it is going to be successful. One large factor that helps Obama is that many just want to blame our problems on an elite class. Even though that "group" is responsible for many problems, the real issues lies within the social structure of the country itself. Racism is not just brought on the country by rich white men. It is a social structure that engulfs everyone, people of color included, and unless everyone is willing to change, racism cannot go away. That works exactly the same way for all social doctrines.

Obama will also not stop US imperialism. Some of his advisers are hawks and Obama will most likely be much closer to Bill Clinton in terms of foreign policy. Just look at Obama status on the socio-economic scale. He isn't that far from any of the Republicans including Bush and McCain.

Another thing is that even if Obama is pure, he will have a hard time working with congress if they are corrupt and no one is doing shit to change that as shown by other threads on this forum.

Last edited by piercehawkeye45; 04-29-2008 at 10:41 AM.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #45
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Is he talking about all Vietnamese people, or just the ones who tortured him for five and a half years?
I must agree. When one of you is a POW for some length of time come back and let us know how it worked out for your liberal sensitivities.