The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well, I can't comment about American news, but I know our news is filled with such stories which later turn out to be false. The Christmas lights in Bradford are a classic example. Another is the story of some councils banning the flying of the Union Jack on St George's day, whilst allowing the Asians to festoon the place with lights at divali. Not one council has banned the flying of the flag on St George's day. Yet that was a news story. Similar in tone if not in content to the story of asylum seekers killing swans for food. That story was completely made up, proved to be so and provoked question in the House of Lords about responsible journalism, yet still people repeat it as if it had happened. My own father, and he is not a stupid man, repeated to me the story of asylum seekers killing swans for food.

Just because the media is full of stories of political correctness gone mad, doesn't mean the stories are true. Some will be....many won't. All will be indiscriminately repeated for years to come. Political correctness gone mad, sells news. It peaks our interest and ruffles our outrage.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #32
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Just for fun, I did a search for "political correctness gone mad". This one is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The news is FILLED with acts of Political Correctness Gone Wild. It is out of control.
I agree -- why does the out of control news media even report on this? They actually perpetuate the problem by turning non-taboo issues into fake ones, pushing the buttons of people that are easily whipped into a frenzy by these reports that treat them as a person attack. It isn't as if these ridiculous ideals are actually accepted by society.

Now, if people simply ignored these self made "problems"...
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #33
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Anyone who says political correctness gone mad/ wild in my presence is either decapitated or just never trusted again. Depending on my mood.

It took me a loooooong time to persuade my mother that polish workers could not claim full child benefit for every child that they had in Poland, also that the same Asian children weren't being passed from house to house to claim extra benefit as the names were all the same on the birth certificates anyway.

It's tabloid journalism gone mad!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #34
DanaC

Quote:
lol. Nice.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #35
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I had a golliwog when I was kid. She was beautiful. I loved her better than any of my other dolls. In fact, I paid no attention to any other doll or soft toy at all.

Then the dogs chewed her up. I was very very sad.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #36
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
I agree -- why does the out of control news media even report on this? They actually perpetuate the problem by turning non-taboo issues into fake ones, pushing the buttons of people that are easily whipped into a frenzy by these reports that treat them as a person attack. It isn't as if these ridiculous ideals are actually accepted by society.

Now, if people simply ignored these self made "problems"...
That is the point...
Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #37
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Anyone who says political correctness gone mad/ wild in my presence is either decapitated or just never trusted again. Depending on my mood.

It took me a loooooong time to persuade my mother that polish workers could not claim full child benefit for every child that they had in Poland, also that the same Asian children weren't being passed from house to house to claim extra benefit as the names were all the same on the birth certificates anyway.

So you would never trust me if I said that to you in person? What is your major bitch then? You get that from a single example about child claims? Hell, I work with all kinds of freaky OCD people who believe all the urban myths they hear about from friends or read on the internet... that is a diffferent issue. We are not talking about urban myths.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 AM   #38
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It's the phrase I hate. It is used to cover everything from using the word Inuit to Eskimo, recognising holidays other than Christian and not pinching co-worker's backsides.

So-called political correctness is about righting wrongs that still exist in society. I don't believe it has ever gone mad like a rabid dog, savaging people right and left for having "incorrect" ideas. Therefore as soon as I hear the cliche I steel myself for the rubbish that is about to ensue.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #39
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
I was just watching the 'Wizard of OZ' when I suddenly realized: Santa does not say "Ho Ho Ho" in Munchkin land. He says "Heh Heh Heh". In which case, this entire thread is moot.
Santa's in the Wizard of Oz?

It's really not a problem until Santa starts saying "Nappy Headed Ho Ho Ho."
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #40
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Santa's in the Wizard of Oz?

It's really not a problem until Santa starts saying "Nappy Headed Ho Ho Ho."

!

I thought TW's connection was out there, unless it was supposed to be an Oz/Aussie link, but even then I couldn't see it.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #41
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I think tw gets all the good drugs.

:p
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #42
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I had a golliwog when I was kid. She was beautiful. I loved her better than any of my other dolls. In fact, I paid no attention to any other doll or soft toy at all.

Then the dogs chewed her up. I was very very sad.
Sounds like a scene from an anti-slavery novel.

Sometimes I'm a sook, but it upsets me when a child's loved toy gets senselessly destroyed ... so sad, so incomprehensible. Yet part of learning about the world I suppose.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #43
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I think tw gets all the good drugs.

:p
FOr the twin brother of The Uni-bomber, yea, he's on something.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #44
DanaC

Quote:
So-called political correctness is about righting wrongs that still exist in society. I don't believe it has ever gone mad like a rabid dog, savaging people right and left for having "incorrect" ideas. Therefore as soon as I hear the cliche I steel myself for the rubbish that is about to ensue.
Well said Sundae. Personally, I think that the worst thing that can be said about 'political correctness' is that sometimes people who should know better are a little overzealous in their attempts not to offend people....given that the worst that can be said for what came before political correctness was an acceptance of hideous and demeaning rhetoric and action on matters of race, sexuality, gender and disability, I'd say I'll accept the cons that go with the enormous pros of 'political correctness'.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #45
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Ummmm.tw....was that.....a joke?!?
lol!!!
tw tried to make a joke?!?