The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #31
monster
I hear them call the tide

If the magnet school has a lottery entrance system, how can it be elitist?

Magnet school basically means kids from the whole district can attend, not just the neighborhood. Beyond that, they can vary greatly. We also have charter schools here. Those tend to be the ones with a special emphasis on some aspect of education/culture. Foe example, we have "Central Academy" which stresses middle eastern culture. I have to go out now to a school function and piss off all the people in the neighborhood around the school by blocking their streets with cars. but I'll be back with more words
Old 11-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #32
rkzenrage

Here, at least, you have to have a certain grade point and excellent behavioral record to be in a magnet school.
Those that meet the criteria then can be chosen from the lottery.
I think it is an excellent idea and not "elitist", anyone can choose to behave well and apply themselves.
Those that do deserve to be in an environment of their peers without the disruptive element.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:13 AM   #33
rkzenrage

BTW, by their own argument white students with black teachers are "at a disadvantage".
The entire idea is a symptom of the sickness of the adoption of the fallacy of "race".
Old 11-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

poof
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #35
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Only the title says it would be a black-only school. The rest of the article states black/african-focused, which is a whole different thing.
Let them have them, then we could start some "White's Only" schools......
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #36
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Let them have them, then we could start some "White's Only" schools......
1) no apostrophe in Whites
2) for the umpteenth time, Blacks Only schools IS NOT THE PROPOSAL. It's just the title of the article and the thread and is erroneous
3) the point being made is that we already have "caucasian-focused" schools. We just don't call them that and refuse to admit it. They're suggesting some schools with a different focus to address the balance. That's all.

It's not so much to do with race as it is to do with culture. But an awful lot of people cannot get past the "racism" stumbling block.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #37
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
BTW, by their own argument white students with black teachers are "at a disadvantage".
Maybe they are ....or maybe they would only be disadvantaged if they were also in the minority (racially or culturally, your pick). Some of the news reports I see from some of the Detroit schools suggest to me this is a possibility.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #38
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
1) no apostrophe in Whites
Sure there is, I put one there.

Quote:
2) for the umpteenth time, Blacks Only schools IS NOT THE PROPOSAL. It's just the title of the article and the thread and is erroneous
Bad proposal, unless we can have "White's Only" schools... Which by the way I don't really think is a great idea.

Quote:
3) the point being made is that we already have "caucasian-focused" schools. We just don't call them that and refuse to admit it. They're suggesting some schools with a different focus to address the balance. That's all.
"caucasian focused", what a crock of bull shit. Blacks and AA only represent about 12% of the US population. They should not be getting more than 12% of the attention.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #39
monster

Take your aposotrophe and shove it in your whites.

The proposal is not 'blacks only". So why are you demanding whites only schools for parity?

Is anyone asking for more than 12% of the schools to be AA-focused? No? then how is it disproportionate?

You are more intelligent than this. Either you are being blinkered by your racism or you are trolling. I'm done.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #40
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Merc, I don't think you understand the purpose of this proposal.

First of all, this is not a new idea. There are thousands of specific minority schools that include some asians, gays, etc. If you are so worried about this idea, you should have been attacking those and have already established your "white-only" school a long time ago.

The point of this school is not to segregate blacks from whites, but to give black children the best possible education. It is proven that black children perform better under black teachers under black administrations. That is the base argument behind the proposal, nothing else. I really don't see the problem with that as long as choice is involved.

Which brings me to rkzenrage's argument that white kids will perform worse under these new schools. Well, this is more than likely true. That is why integration failed and we need to move on to a more realistic and progressive model. If your kids, being white, were forced to go to an afro-centric school where studies have shown that they will not perform as well as going to euro-centric school, I can imagine you not being to happy with that. Then why are we forcing black kids to go to euro-centric schools when studies have shown that they will not perform as well opposed to going to an afro-centric school? The problem is that white kids will naturally perform better than black kids under the current system so all this is trying to do is break the black kids away so they can go to a system which benefits them. That is why there is no need for a "white-only" school because to get the benefits of that, you can just move to the suburbs or send your kids to a rich private school.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #41
rkzenrage

Quote:
First of all, this is not a new idea. There are thousands of specific minority schools that include some asians, gays, etc.
Public schools? Please cite.
"Any-Centric" education is a bad education.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #42
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Gay Schools:
http://www.canadiancrc.com/articles/...ol_29JUL03.htm

There are probably others but being public versus private isn't the problem.

Quote:
What makes you say that? Do you have any evidence to back that up or is that your own biased opinion? And also, what makes you think that the current system isn't an "any-centric" system already? And if so, what would you do to fix it?

The fact that black kids do better in afro-centric schools says A LOT about the current system and education in general. Along with the fact that other cultures have tough times adjusting to United States public schools[1], it shows that whites do have a natural advantage when it comes to education in the United States and Canada, which means it is more likely than euro-centric. So we either let the current system fail as it has, destroy the entire current system, or give minorities a choice to go to a school that benefits them.

I am not going to talk about the first choice because that is what we currently have and the second choice will not go well with anyone even though it is ideally preferable. It is just unrealistic and will never work. So that leaves us with the third choice, which I will support as long as its not forced.

I know you favor equality with all "races", but as long as there is racial disparity in this country we can't just lump everyone together and pretend we are helping because more than likely we are just hurting the people we are suppose to help. Even today we live in a highly segregated school system that tends to be unequal[2] and even when there is an integrated school, the kids will likely segregate themselves anyways[3].

Clearly, the idea that if we put everyone in the same classroom we will solve the segregation problem has failed. Culture does play a large role in education and since the system will naturally favor whites, for various reasons, we should allow minorities to take matters in their own hands to get a better education.

The only backlash I can see coming from this is what I have seen here. Whites complaining about not getting a "white-only" school and turning this into a much bigger issue than needed. It may sound like a paradox, but this segregation might very well speed up integration on a larger scale, which is what I am looking for and hopefully you are too.

[1] - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...35/ai_62959085
[2] - http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2005...tion1sep05.htm
[3] - http://www.learntoquestion.com/resou...es/000781.html
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #43
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
The fact that black kids do better in afro-centric schools says A LOT about the current system and education in general.
"Do better" is a little too vague to say a lot to me. How is this success measured?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #44
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Public schools? Please cite.
Exactly. the point being the current offering is white-centric. Attempts to shift this have been met with much resistance, so this is the next suggestion.

BTW, my kids school is a public school. But it's "gay-friendly" and approx 8% (from a quiick glance at the directory) of my kids' classmates have gay parents. I imagine that's above the norm. Some of the teachers and staff are also openly gay.

there is also a Charter School (public funding) that is Arabic oriented. http://www.centralacademy.net/?q=node/63
Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #45
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Merc, I don't think you understand the purpose of this proposal.

First of all, this is not a new idea. There are thousands of specific minority schools that include some asians, gays, etc. If you are so worried about this idea, you should have been attacking those and have already established your "white-only" school a long time ago.

The point of this school is not to segregate blacks from whites, but to give black children the best possible education. It is proven that black children perform better under black teachers under black administrations. That is the base argument behind the proposal, nothing else. I really don't see the problem with that as long as choice is involved.

Which brings me to rkzenrage's argument that white kids will perform worse under these new schools. Well, this is more than likely true. That is why integration failed and we need to move on to a more realistic and progressive model. If your kids, being white, were forced to go to an afro-centric school where studies have shown that they will not perform as well as going to euro-centric school, I can imagine you not being to happy with that. Then why are we forcing black kids to go to euro-centric schools when studies have shown that they will not perform as well opposed to going to an afro-centric school? The problem is that white kids will naturally perform better than black kids under the current system so all this is trying to do is break the black kids away so they can go to a system which benefits them. That is why there is no need for a "white-only" school because to get the benefits of that, you can just move to the suburbs or send your kids to a rich private school.
Your argument is circular. It sounds like the racists of the south in the 50's. So it is ok for blacks to segregate themselves if they choose to do it, but if anyone white is involved it is segregation and racist? Come on... I am not worried about the idea at all. I have stated already if they want to do it let them do so. Not my problem, but don't come whining back to the society when greater effects and unforeseen fall out occurs. We have traditionally black only and female only colleges. So it is ok for an all female school to prevent the admission of a male but not ok for a traditional all male school to prevent a female entry because that would be discriminatory based on sex. We witnessed this with the traditional military schools and colleges. My only point is that if we are going to segregate based on race then let's do it; one group gets no preference over the other.