The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 05-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #31
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

People who are moderators should be able to show that they cannot be swayed emotionally. Who do not play favorites. Who do not put down people or basically use the label of 'moderator' as a power trip.

Someone who uses logic. Displays critical thinking. Knows the difference between constructive and destructive critisim. Seeks for some kind of balance or harmony.

Well, I am smart enought to know I wasn't talking about me.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:29 AM   #32
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Let us know when you find some people that meet all those criteria.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #33
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Let us know when you find some people that meet all those criteria.
all? There was only three. I think one of the three is do able? ...even

{edit} I guess I'm not yet awake enough to type.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #34
skysidhe

ok..ok, I got it.

How about someone who's outstanding attribute is humor. Who's humor shows the all of the above in a subtle way. Like they can turn anything into a nice friendly one liner.

I see two. So my vote is for kagen and Bruce.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #35
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad

-- "Nothingland" - because threads about nothing or game threads are actually an important part of the place, and we just haven't acknowledged it, until now. I'm not married to this name for the section, so if someone has a better idea, claim it now.
How about: more threads about buildings and food
Old 05-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #36
mrnoodle
bent

Can you tie whale penis into it somehow?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 AM   #37
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

That would be very painful for the whale, wouldn't it?

(I'm sorry. I seem to be living in the land of the smart-ass one-liner lately. It usually goes away by itself in a week or so.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #38
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I certainly like all of the changes. I browse by forum since I didn't have anyone tell me a different way until I was already accustomed to my current method.

I also vote for Bruce and Wolf as moderators. I always enjoy their insight and I find it hard to believe that they would use their power for anything but good.

Good luck with everything!

I don't post much, but I am here everyday as much as possible and love what you do with the place.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #39
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I would like to be permanently on sabbatical and have nothing to do with messages and threads.

The new mods have to be named, because we need to share both the ability AND the responsibility.

What you say is certainly part of it. I don't get to "be myself" on the Cellar.

It wasn't always that way. This particular headache started when Cerebus's ex-wife declared that she would have nothing to do with the Cellar, since I ran it. Old-timers, does anyone remember that incident from what, 1995-96?

It's true: if you are seen as a person of some importance, people will treat you differently for it. And some people will do so relentlessly as it is a part of their equation and they can't drop it. Potential mods should consider this when deciding whether they want to do it. Part of the title is accepting that you are giving something up in order to improve the community.
re-reading this , it strikes me that these things are true because you allow them to be. You care if someone storms off in a huff because of some trifling thing you said (yes, blue, you come to mind here) and it effects your enjoyment of your own message board.

now, I'm not saying you should be a prick like me, but maybe a little indifference could protect you? Unless you actually ban someone, they should assume that you can tolerate them. you don't have to like all of us. you don't have to dislike those that most people dislike. you have a good sense of humor, and a sarcastic wit. how often do you NOT post something because you fear that someone will get all knotted up and split? i've got two words for ya: fuck 'em! they'll be back. they always come back.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #40
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

IotD was the reason I first started visiting here all those years ago. I'd hate to see it go away entirely but can understand that it's a tedious chore.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
now, I'm not saying you should be a prick like me, but maybe a little indifference could protect you? Unless you actually ban someone, they should assume that you can tolerate them. you don't have to like all of us. you don't have to dislike those that most people dislike. you have a good sense of humor, and a sarcastic wit. how often do you NOT post something because you fear that someone will get all knotted up and split? i've got two words for ya: fuck 'em! they'll be back. they always come back.
Right on LJ.
You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I would graciously accept the nomination for moderator ...

I've mod'd and admin'd on phpBB, but never on vB, I assume it's similar, but more powerful ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #43
lookout123
changed his status to single

what the hell is a Yahoo Slurp SPider, and why are so many of these things looking at various cellar threads?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #44
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They are trying to include cellar.org in Yahoo!'s search engine. They index us as often as Google, but results are much slower to show up, imo. For example, my letter to my doctor is on the first page of Google results for the name of the practice, but Yahoo doesn't find the thread yet.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #45
Maui Nick
... is not really in Maui. Weird, huh?

Hey, 'Toad ... a request.

I believe Vbulletin has an option that puts a pop-up menu on the lower right with the various forums, user control panel, &c. for navigation purposes. I've been on so many boards using this software that I'm used to seeing and expect it, but when I look for it here it's nonexistent.

Any chance you could turn that option on? It makes moving around the site a lot easier.

Thanks!